Re: [NTO] Re: HELP: 30 seconds to open txt file is killing me

    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi Corl,

      >All of these same files open in the blink of an eye with every
      >other txt and html editor, trouble is they are not NTP. I've been
      >thinking of completely uninstalling NTP--then reinstalling it
      >fresh to see if that might help, but I can't find my registration
      >key. It has occurred to me that ntp495full.exe might be a
      >separate installer I received after paying for it. Can you please
      >confirm this?
      >
      >Plus, I was wondering if there have been different builds of this
      >same installer/program, and maybe I got the one that's off, and I
      >would be reinstalling the same error that is causing this
      >problem?

      Yes, ntp495full.exe, is the registered program and does not need
      a key. Yes, there have been different builds. The latest one has
      the Check for Updates... and Poll for News features under the
      Help menu and comes in a different installer package than
      previous versions. I will send you download information for the
      latest 4.95. You can also download the v5.0 Pro Trial version to
      see if you still have the problem with it.

      This link has all our software listed on the page with a very
      brief description of it. http://www.fookes.com/products.php

      Aid4Mail: http://www.aid4mail.com

      About the 50% 4.95 to 5.0 Upgrade Discount...

      The discount does not show right away, please read the following.

      You have to order through the Help menu (Check for Updates...)
      feature in NoteTab in order to receive the discount.

      Other NoteTab 4.x customers can order an upgrade at a 50%
      discount. This discount is available to registered users of
      NoteTab Pro and NoteTab Std through the "News and Updates" dialog
      box, which is available from the "Help/Check for Updates" menu
      command. Make sure NoteTab is allowed access to the Internet. If
      you're seeing old information, click on the "Get headlines" button
      at the top of the News window.

      Please note that the first order screen shows the normal price
      before discount. The discounted amount only appears on the order
      confirmation page (you can still quit the order process at this
      stage).

      All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
      description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

      The NoteTab Off-Topic List
      mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hi Jeffery and Corl,

        >Perhaps it's slow because the network issues? Is the network drive mapped?

        I have had one other report over the years of files opening
        slowly that are on a network. So, perhaps mapping it makes a
        difference. I don't know anything about mapping other than seeing
        the setting for it. ;)

        >xtx222003 wrote:
        >
        >> Hi Larry & Alex,
        >>
        >> With your help I found out that the INI was being written to the
        >> registry, but even with that option off I get the same slow network
        >> file opening, even after a good registry cleaning and a reboot to
        >> boot. I'm glad I can now backup the INI though.

        All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
        description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        The NoteTab Off-Topic List
        mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
      • Alec Burgess(g)
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
          Corl:
          I didn't know anything more about shared non-mapped vs shared mapped than
          Jody did but googling "network drive mapped" and then reading:
          http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdrive.ht
          and the result you got when you pasted the result of "copy name" makes me
          think that:
          You've got a shared but not-mapped folder.

          I haven't currently got a Network to test on but it certainly sounds like
          following the procedure described is worth a shot.

          Please report back if it works. That would give Jody a confirmed work-around
          for the third time it comes up :-) (and probably allow Eric to fix it when
          he gets a chance - given the number of programs you've verified don't choke
          on shared non-mapped)

          Regards ... Alec
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
            Jeffery thanks for that fantastic question! Alec thank you for
            googling it down (sometime I forget how much one can learn from
            a simple search), it was worth more than a shot, because...

            BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
            in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
            files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
            Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
            Places is still like pouring molasses.

            I redid the "copy name" experiment you suggested, and you can see the
            results:

            SHARED file path
            \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

            MAPPED file path
            V:\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

            You are my heroes! This made all the difference in the world, and
            will allow me to keep using the power of NTP for the massive project
            I'm involved in!

            I'm confident this solution will stick, because this time it isn't
            just working by chance, but rather by using a method designed for
            working in a networked environment.

            Thank you, thank you, and thank you again!!!
            Corl

            PS everyone
            48 messages to resolution since Dec, I guess that perseverance really
            does pays off. Thank you all for your patience and input.

            > I didn't know anything more about shared non-mapped vs shared
            mapped than
            > Jody did but googling "network drive mapped" and then reading:

            http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdr
            ive.htm
            > and the result you got when you pasted the result of "copy name"
            makes me
            > think that:
            > You've got a shared but not-mapped folder.
            >

            > Regards ... Alec
            > --

          • xtx222003
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
              Thanks for the confirmation Jody. Looks like Jeffery and Alec found the
              solution and it all works as it should. I look forward to using the
              latest version as well.

              Best,
              Corl

              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

              > Hi Corl,
              >
              > Yes, ntp495full.exe, is the registered program and does not need
              > a key. Yes, there have been different builds. The latest one has
              > the Check for Updates... and Poll for News features under the
              > Help menu and comes in a different installer package than
              > previous versions. I will send you download information for the
              > latest 4.95. You can also download the v5.0 Pro Trial version to
              > see if you still have the problem with it.
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                Corl,

                Is V-central a server or workstation? If it is a server, it could be an
                Active-Directory issue. I do not know how to configure Active Directory,
                but if the PC is not in the correct workgroup, it can be very slow. I
                have experienced this with the software I support in my day job.

                What version of Windows is V-central? What version of Windows is your
                PC? There may be a clue there.

                The difference between the \\computername\etc. and V:\etc. is that there
                could be some sort of network configuration that is not quite right and
                makes the resolution of \\computername take longer. One way to test it
                is to click Start > Run then type \\V-Central and press Enter. If
                Explorer opens right away, then it is something to do with NoteTab. Also
                do the Start > Run and type V:\ and see if Explorer opens as fast as the
                other way. I have seen some programs that will not find a connection on
                the network, but you can ping the PC.

                You could also try the IP address of \\V-central in the run box.

                My guess would be either something with active directory, or some other
                misconfiguration on the network.

                I have also seen lightning do weird things to network cards. Over the
                years, I have experienced 5 clients having lightning strikes that do
                just enough damage to the network card on one or more PCs that all
                programs on the network work, except the one I support. Replacing the
                network card fixes the problem. If you have had a lightning strike or
                other major power surge, swapping out a network card may help.

                HTH,

                Larry Hamilton
                Kairos Computer Solutions
                http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
                Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

                xtx222003 wrote:
                > Jeffery thanks for that fantastic question! Alec thank you for
                > googling it down (sometime I forget how much one can learn from
                > a simple search), it was worth more than a shot, because...
                >
                > BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
                > in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
                > files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
                > Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
                > Places is still like pouring molasses.
                >
                > I redid the "copy name" experiment you suggested, and you can see the
                > results:
                >
                > SHARED file path
                > \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt
                >
                > MAPPED file path
                > V:\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt
              • Alan_C
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                  On Tuesday 01 August 2006 15:21, xtx222003 wrote:
                  [ . . ]
                  > BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
                  > in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
                  > files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
                  > Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
                  > Places is still like pouring molasses.

                  I've a Samba share (on a Linux file server). Somehow it just works better
                  when in Win 2K on the network when the drive/Samba_share is mapped in Win 2K.

                  This is just sharing files across the network -- Notetab is not involved.

                  I've also experienced with (on Linux) a virtual machine (Qemu) that guest OS
                  Win 2K (running in Qemu) the Win 2K network browse (or browser) (or DOS
                  command net view) would not even find the Qemu native Samba share which is
                  linked into my above mentioned Samba server (network shared drive not found,
                  I thought it didn't work, something broken).

                  But the Qemu docs tells how to map the drive in Win and where to map such
                  drive to. Did as instructed here and abra cadabra my guest OS Win 2K is now
                  shares files with the Samba share (Linux box). My guess on this is that the
                  Qemu developers could care less about sending out those Microsoft network
                  noise (protocol(s) (is it netbios?) and chose not to do this -- thus not
                  found via network browse (MS net browse *relies* on those protocols) the
                  Linux way does not use protocols in that fashion like MS does. But the drive
                  is there (though not anounced via MS network noise -- so just map to it and
                  voilla! Qemu guest OS network share is now working!!

                  So there's *something* about it the mapping a network drive/share.

                  Actually, for all practical purposes, I think it makes it into (so that it
                  acts just like) a local drive so that it acts like a drive on My Computer
                  rather than acting like a network drive (though in reality it does remains a
                  network drive).

                  --
                  Alan.
                • xtx222003
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                    Hi Larry,

                    These are two identical HP computers both running XP Home, networked
                    with our router.

                    Your Run tests confirms that the share \\V-Central is slow with NTP,
                    and the mapped V:\ is the winner by a landslide.

                    Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy when I unplug everything
                    during a lightning storm.

                    Thanks,