Re: [NTO] Re: HELP: 30 seconds to open txt file is killing me

    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi Corl,

      >All of these same files open in the blink of an eye with every
      >other txt and html editor, trouble is they are not NTP. I've been
      >thinking of completely uninstalling NTP--then reinstalling it
      >fresh to see if that might help, but I can't find my registration
      >key. It has occurred to me that ntp495full.exe might be a
      >separate installer I received after paying for it. Can you please
      >confirm this?
      >
      >Plus, I was wondering if there have been different builds of this
      >same installer/program, and maybe I got the one that's off, and I
      >would be reinstalling the same error that is causing this
      >problem?

      Yes, ntp495full.exe, is the registered program and does not need
      a key. Yes, there have been different builds. The latest one has
      the Check for Updates... and Poll for News features under the
      Help menu and comes in a different installer package than
      previous versions. I will send you download information for the
      latest 4.95. You can also download the v5.0 Pro Trial version to
      see if you still have the problem with it.

      This link has all our software listed on the page with a very
      brief description of it. http://www.fookes.com/products.php

      Aid4Mail: http://www.aid4mail.com

      About the 50% 4.95 to 5.0 Upgrade Discount...

      The discount does not show right away, please read the following.

      You have to order through the Help menu (Check for Updates...)
      feature in NoteTab in order to receive the discount.

      Other NoteTab 4.x customers can order an upgrade at a 50%
      discount. This discount is available to registered users of
      NoteTab Pro and NoteTab Std through the "News and Updates" dialog
      box, which is available from the "Help/Check for Updates" menu
      command. Make sure NoteTab is allowed access to the Internet. If
      you're seeing old information, click on the "Get headlines" button
      at the top of the News window.

      Please note that the first order screen shows the normal price
      before discount. The discounted amount only appears on the order
      confirmation page (you can still quit the order process at this
      stage).

      All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
      description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

      The NoteTab Off-Topic List
      mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hi Jeffery and Corl,

        >Perhaps it's slow because the network issues? Is the network drive mapped?

        I have had one other report over the years of files opening
        slowly that are on a network. So, perhaps mapping it makes a
        difference. I don't know anything about mapping other than seeing
        the setting for it. ;)

        >xtx222003 wrote:
        >
        >> Hi Larry & Alex,
        >>
        >> With your help I found out that the INI was being written to the
        >> registry, but even with that option off I get the same slow network
        >> file opening, even after a good registry cleaning and a reboot to
        >> boot. I'm glad I can now backup the INI though.

        All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
        description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        The NoteTab Off-Topic List
        mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
      • xtx222003
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
          Hi Jeffery,

          I have no idea, I just used My Network Place Wizard to make the
          connection. On each computer we set the folders to Share.

          > Perhaps it's slow because the network issues? Is the network drive
          mapped?

          > Jeffery Scism,
          > USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
          > NC/NE region
        • xtx222003
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
            Hi Alec,

            >You probably mentioned earlier exactly which programs you've been
            able to speedily open for edit (?)

            Each of these programs open txt and html files in a blink.

            * HTML Help Workshop 4.74
            * Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004
            * Macromedia HomeSite 5.5
            * Metapad 3.51
            * Microsoft Word 2003
            * PSPad
            * TED Notepad 4.53
            * UltraEdit-32 12.10
            * WordPad

            But, NoteTab Pro 5.0, NoteTab Light, and NoteTab Pro 4.95 all take 30
            seconds to open. Which leads me to believe that a) it's something
            with NTP, and b) that migrating to XP Pro would not make any
            difference.

            When installing TED Notepad, it suggested that making it the default
            program for txt files may interfere with your systems file protection
            system. I'm still wondering about this and the way NotePad is
            replaced with NoteTab.

            While trouble shooting this, I've noticed that while it will take a
            long time to open the first file, it will then open other files in a
            blink. Maybe I could live with that, but then I noticed that if I
            waited/worked for 20-30 seconds in between opening files, it would
            revert back to taking 30 seconds to open the next file, and so on.

            >Next wild-ass-guess: (again IMO low chance of being correct) Are the
            files you are trying to open from the Network drives UNICODE (which
            Notepad handles natively but Notetab does not)?

            I don't know how to know this. They were created with NTP. The status
            bar says, format: Windows/DOS. WordPad saw and opened the files as
            both regular and unicode.

            >(a) copying (using Explorer etc.) a local file which Notetab opens
            quickly to the network drive in the same location as one of
            your "problem" files and trying to open that in Notetab?

            Same.

            >(b) as for (a) but use Save as ...

            Same.

            >Also ... in Options/Tab Bar could you turn ON: Show Name as Tooltip
            and also for one of your problem files could you right click on its
            tab (once open) and "Copy Name" and show us what you get.

            I get: \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

            --
            >btw: Ale*C* not Ale*X* - I filter on "Alec" for "mystuff" to make
            sure I see it sooner:-)

            My apologies.

            Thanks for all your suggestions.

            Corl
          • Alec Burgess(g)
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
              Corl:
              I didn't know anything more about shared non-mapped vs shared mapped than
              Jody did but googling "network drive mapped" and then reading:
              http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdrive.ht
              and the result you got when you pasted the result of "copy name" makes me
              think that:
              You've got a shared but not-mapped folder.

              I haven't currently got a Network to test on but it certainly sounds like
              following the procedure described is worth a shot.

              Please report back if it works. That would give Jody a confirmed work-around
              for the third time it comes up :-) (and probably allow Eric to fix it when
              he gets a chance - given the number of programs you've verified don't choke
              on shared non-mapped)

              Regards ... Alec
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                Jeffery thanks for that fantastic question! Alec thank you for
                googling it down (sometime I forget how much one can learn from
                a simple search), it was worth more than a shot, because...

                BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
                in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
                files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
                Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
                Places is still like pouring molasses.

                I redid the "copy name" experiment you suggested, and you can see the
                results:

                SHARED file path
                \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

                MAPPED file path
                V:\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

                You are my heroes! This made all the difference in the world, and
                will allow me to keep using the power of NTP for the massive project
                I'm involved in!

                I'm confident this solution will stick, because this time it isn't
                just working by chance, but rather by using a method designed for
                working in a networked environment.

                Thank you, thank you, and thank you again!!!
                Corl

                PS everyone
                48 messages to resolution since Dec, I guess that perseverance really
                does pays off. Thank you all for your patience and input.

                > I didn't know anything more about shared non-mapped vs shared
                mapped than
                > Jody did but googling "network drive mapped" and then reading:

                http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdr
                ive.htm
                > and the result you got when you pasted the result of "copy name"
                makes me
                > think that:
                > You've got a shared but not-mapped folder.
                >

                > Regards ... Alec
                > --

              • xtx222003
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Thanks for the confirmation Jody. Looks like Jeffery and Alec found the
                  solution and it all works as it should. I look forward to using the
                  latest version as well.

                  Best,
                  Corl

                  --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Corl,
                  >
                  > Yes, ntp495full.exe, is the registered program and does not need
                  > a key. Yes, there have been different builds. The latest one has
                  > the Check for Updates... and Poll for News features under the
                  > Help menu and comes in a different installer package than
                  > previous versions. I will send you download information for the
                  > latest 4.95. You can also download the v5.0 Pro Trial version to
                  > see if you still have the problem with it.
                • Larry Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                    Corl,

                    Is V-central a server or workstation? If it is a server, it could be an
                    Active-Directory issue. I do not know how to configure Active Directory,
                    but if the PC is not in the correct workgroup, it can be very slow. I
                    have experienced this with the software I support in my day job.

                    What version of Windows is V-central? What version of Windows is your
                    PC? There may be a clue there.

                    The difference between the \\computername\etc. and V:\etc. is that there
                    could be some sort of network configuration that is not quite right and
                    makes the resolution of \\computername take longer. One way to test it
                    is to click Start > Run then type \\V-Central and press Enter. If
                    Explorer opens right away, then it is something to do with NoteTab. Also
                    do the Start > Run and type V:\ and see if Explorer opens as fast as the
                    other way. I have seen some programs that will not find a connection on
                    the network, but you can ping the PC.

                    You could also try the IP address of \\V-central in the run box.

                    My guess would be either something with active directory, or some other
                    misconfiguration on the network.

                    I have also seen lightning do weird things to network cards. Over the
                    years, I have experienced 5 clients having lightning strikes that do
                    just enough damage to the network card on one or more PCs that all
                    programs on the network work, except the one I support. Replacing the
                    network card fixes the problem. If you have had a lightning strike or
                    other major power surge, swapping out a network card may help.

                    HTH,

                    Larry Hamilton
                    Kairos Computer Solutions
                    http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
                    Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

                    xtx222003 wrote:
                    > Jeffery thanks for that fantastic question! Alec thank you for
                    > googling it down (sometime I forget how much one can learn from
                    > a simple search), it was worth more than a shot, because...
                    >
                    > BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
                    > in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
                    > files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
                    > Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
                    > Places is still like pouring molasses.
                    >
                    > I redid the "copy name" experiment you suggested, and you can see the
                    > results:
                    >
                    > SHARED file path
                    > \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt
                    >
                    > MAPPED file path
                    > V:\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt
                  • Alan_C
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                      On Tuesday 01 August 2006 15:21, xtx222003 wrote:
                      [ . . ]
                      > BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
                      > in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
                      > files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
                      > Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
                      > Places is still like pouring molasses.

                      I've a Samba share (on a Linux file server). Somehow it just works better
                      when in Win 2K on the network when the drive/Samba_share is mapped in Win 2K.

                      This is just sharing files across the network -- Notetab is not involved.

                      I've also experienced with (on Linux) a virtual machine (Qemu) that guest OS
                      Win 2K (running in Qemu) the Win 2K network browse (or browser) (or DOS
                      command net view) would not even find the Qemu native Samba share which is
                      linked into my above mentioned Samba server (network shared drive not found,
                      I thought it didn't work, something broken).

                      But the Qemu docs tells how to map the drive in Win and where to map such
                      drive to. Did as instructed here and abra cadabra my guest OS Win 2K is now
                      shares files with the Samba share (Linux box). My guess on this is that the
                      Qemu developers could care less about sending out those Microsoft network
                      noise (protocol(s) (is it netbios?) and chose not to do this -- thus not
                      found via network browse (MS net browse *relies* on those protocols) the
                      Linux way does not use protocols in that fashion like MS does. But the drive
                      is there (though not anounced via MS network noise -- so just map to it and
                      voilla! Qemu guest OS network share is now working!!

                      So there's *something* about it the mapping a network drive/share.

                      Actually, for all practical purposes, I think it makes it into (so that it
                      acts just like) a local drive so that it acts like a drive on My Computer
                      rather than acting like a network drive (though in reality it does remains a
                      network drive).

                      --
                      Alan.
                    • xtx222003
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                        Hi Larry,

                        These are two identical HP computers both running XP Home, networked
                        with our router.

                        Your Run tests confirms that the share \\V-Central is slow with NTP,
                        and the mapped V:\ is the winner by a landslide.

                        Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy when I unplug everything
                        during a lightning storm.

                        Thanks,