Re: [NTO] Re: HELP: 30 seconds to open txt file is killing me

  • Alec Burgess(g)
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
      Corl (Jeffery):
      Jeff > Perhaps it's slow because the network issues? Is the network drive
      mapped?

      Corl (earlier) :
      >>All of these same files open in the blink of an eye with every other
      txt and html editor, trouble is they are not NTP.<<

      From what Corl says a network issue sounds improbable. IE - it's fast in
      Notepad but slow in Notetab :-(

      >>Plus, I was wondering if there have been different builds of this same
      installer/program, and maybe I got the one that's off<<

      hmmm ... I personally doubt it but maybe it would be worth trying the
      following ...

      from: http://www.notetab.com/
      download (free!) Notetab light: install it in a *separate* folder and try
      opening your problem text files with it.

      If it works in Notetab Light then we've got something for the other wizards
      <grin> to sink our collective teeth into. And failing that you could
      probably accomplish 97.3% of what you need to do just as easily in the Light
      version as in the Pro version.

      It *might* be worth trying the 30-day trial version of the new Notetab 5.0
      as well. This would start the clock running immediately on your chance to
      try the new version but if it does work you'd probably want to get the new
      version anyway with the "attractive" discount much discussed in recent days
      :-)

      Again ... I don't think either of these is going to work but you never know

      You probably mentioned earlier exactly which programs you've been able to
      speedily open for edit (?) but (since we're on the OFFTOPIC list already)
      you might try (just to get more data points) downloading and installing
      either or both of these two free text editors:
      PSPad and Metapad (Google for both).

      Next wild-ass-guess: (again IMO low chance of being correct)
      Are the files you are trying to open from the Network drives UNICODE (which
      Notepad handles natively but Notetab does not)?

      Have you tried:
      (a) copying (using Explorer etc.) a local file which Notetab opens quickly
      to the network drive in the same location as one of your "problem" files and
      trying to open that in Notetab?
      (b) as for (a) but use Save as ... from Notetab of a local file to the
      network location and trying to open that in Notetab?

      Also ... in Options/Tab Bar could you turn ON: Show Name as Tooltip and also
      for one of your problem files could you right click on its tab (once open)
      and "Copy Name" and show us what you get.
      I get something like this: C:\TEMP\NoName01.txt
      I'm just wondering if there might be something strange in the way that
      Notetab thinks your file is named that might provide a clue.

      Regards ... Alec
      --
      btw: Ale*C* not Ale*X* - I filter on "Alec" for "mystuff" to make sure I see
      it sooner:-)
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hi Corl,

        >All of these same files open in the blink of an eye with every
        >other txt and html editor, trouble is they are not NTP. I've been
        >thinking of completely uninstalling NTP--then reinstalling it
        >fresh to see if that might help, but I can't find my registration
        >key. It has occurred to me that ntp495full.exe might be a
        >separate installer I received after paying for it. Can you please
        >confirm this?
        >
        >Plus, I was wondering if there have been different builds of this
        >same installer/program, and maybe I got the one that's off, and I
        >would be reinstalling the same error that is causing this
        >problem?

        Yes, ntp495full.exe, is the registered program and does not need
        a key. Yes, there have been different builds. The latest one has
        the Check for Updates... and Poll for News features under the
        Help menu and comes in a different installer package than
        previous versions. I will send you download information for the
        latest 4.95. You can also download the v5.0 Pro Trial version to
        see if you still have the problem with it.

        This link has all our software listed on the page with a very
        brief description of it. http://www.fookes.com/products.php

        Aid4Mail: http://www.aid4mail.com

        About the 50% 4.95 to 5.0 Upgrade Discount...

        The discount does not show right away, please read the following.

        You have to order through the Help menu (Check for Updates...)
        feature in NoteTab in order to receive the discount.

        Other NoteTab 4.x customers can order an upgrade at a 50%
        discount. This discount is available to registered users of
        NoteTab Pro and NoteTab Std through the "News and Updates" dialog
        box, which is available from the "Help/Check for Updates" menu
        command. Make sure NoteTab is allowed access to the Internet. If
        you're seeing old information, click on the "Get headlines" button
        at the top of the News window.

        Please note that the first order screen shows the normal price
        before discount. The discounted amount only appears on the order
        confirmation page (you can still quit the order process at this
        stage).

        All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
        description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        The NoteTab Off-Topic List
        mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
          Hi Jeffery and Corl,

          >Perhaps it's slow because the network issues? Is the network drive mapped?

          I have had one other report over the years of files opening
          slowly that are on a network. So, perhaps mapping it makes a
          difference. I don't know anything about mapping other than seeing
          the setting for it. ;)

          >xtx222003 wrote:
          >
          >> Hi Larry & Alex,
          >>
          >> With your help I found out that the INI was being written to the
          >> registry, but even with that option off I get the same slow network
          >> file opening, even after a good registry cleaning and a reboot to
          >> boot. I'm glad I can now backup the INI though.

          All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
          description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

          The NoteTab Off-Topic List
          mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
        • xtx222003
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
            Hi Jeffery,

            I have no idea, I just used My Network Place Wizard to make the
            connection. On each computer we set the folders to Share.

            > Perhaps it's slow because the network issues? Is the network drive
            mapped?

            > Jeffery Scism,
            > USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
            > NC/NE region
          • xtx222003
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
              Hi Alec,

              >You probably mentioned earlier exactly which programs you've been
              able to speedily open for edit (?)

              Each of these programs open txt and html files in a blink.

              * HTML Help Workshop 4.74
              * Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004
              * Macromedia HomeSite 5.5
              * Metapad 3.51
              * Microsoft Word 2003
              * PSPad
              * TED Notepad 4.53
              * UltraEdit-32 12.10
              * WordPad

              But, NoteTab Pro 5.0, NoteTab Light, and NoteTab Pro 4.95 all take 30
              seconds to open. Which leads me to believe that a) it's something
              with NTP, and b) that migrating to XP Pro would not make any
              difference.

              When installing TED Notepad, it suggested that making it the default
              program for txt files may interfere with your systems file protection
              system. I'm still wondering about this and the way NotePad is
              replaced with NoteTab.

              While trouble shooting this, I've noticed that while it will take a
              long time to open the first file, it will then open other files in a
              blink. Maybe I could live with that, but then I noticed that if I
              waited/worked for 20-30 seconds in between opening files, it would
              revert back to taking 30 seconds to open the next file, and so on.

              >Next wild-ass-guess: (again IMO low chance of being correct) Are the
              files you are trying to open from the Network drives UNICODE (which
              Notepad handles natively but Notetab does not)?

              I don't know how to know this. They were created with NTP. The status
              bar says, format: Windows/DOS. WordPad saw and opened the files as
              both regular and unicode.

              >(a) copying (using Explorer etc.) a local file which Notetab opens
              quickly to the network drive in the same location as one of
              your "problem" files and trying to open that in Notetab?

              Same.

              >(b) as for (a) but use Save as ...

              Same.

              >Also ... in Options/Tab Bar could you turn ON: Show Name as Tooltip
              and also for one of your problem files could you right click on its
              tab (once open) and "Copy Name" and show us what you get.

              I get: \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

              --
              >btw: Ale*C* not Ale*X* - I filter on "Alec" for "mystuff" to make
              sure I see it sooner:-)

              My apologies.

              Thanks for all your suggestions.

              Corl
            • Alec Burgess(g)
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                Corl:
                I didn't know anything more about shared non-mapped vs shared mapped than
                Jody did but googling "network drive mapped" and then reading:
                http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdrive.ht
                and the result you got when you pasted the result of "copy name" makes me
                think that:
                You've got a shared but not-mapped folder.

                I haven't currently got a Network to test on but it certainly sounds like
                following the procedure described is worth a shot.

                Please report back if it works. That would give Jody a confirmed work-around
                for the third time it comes up :-) (and probably allow Eric to fix it when
                he gets a chance - given the number of programs you've verified don't choke
                on shared non-mapped)

                Regards ... Alec
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Jeffery thanks for that fantastic question! Alec thank you for
                  googling it down (sometime I forget how much one can learn from
                  a simple search), it was worth more than a shot, because...

                  BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
                  in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
                  files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
                  Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
                  Places is still like pouring molasses.

                  I redid the "copy name" experiment you suggested, and you can see the
                  results:

                  SHARED file path
                  \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

                  MAPPED file path
                  V:\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

                  You are my heroes! This made all the difference in the world, and
                  will allow me to keep using the power of NTP for the massive project
                  I'm involved in!

                  I'm confident this solution will stick, because this time it isn't
                  just working by chance, but rather by using a method designed for
                  working in a networked environment.

                  Thank you, thank you, and thank you again!!!
                  Corl

                  PS everyone
                  48 messages to resolution since Dec, I guess that perseverance really
                  does pays off. Thank you all for your patience and input.

                  > I didn't know anything more about shared non-mapped vs shared
                  mapped than
                  > Jody did but googling "network drive mapped" and then reading:

                  http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdr
                  ive.htm
                  > and the result you got when you pasted the result of "copy name"
                  makes me
                  > think that:
                  > You've got a shared but not-mapped folder.
                  >

                  > Regards ... Alec
                  > --

                • xtx222003
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                    Thanks for the confirmation Jody. Looks like Jeffery and Alec found the
                    solution and it all works as it should. I look forward to using the
                    latest version as well.

                    Best,
                    Corl

                    --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Corl,
                    >
                    > Yes, ntp495full.exe, is the registered program and does not need
                    > a key. Yes, there have been different builds. The latest one has
                    > the Check for Updates... and Poll for News features under the
                    > Help menu and comes in a different installer package than
                    > previous versions. I will send you download information for the
                    > latest 4.95. You can also download the v5.0 Pro Trial version to
                    > see if you still have the problem with it.
                  • Larry Hamilton
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                      Corl,

                      Is V-central a server or workstation? If it is a server, it could be an
                      Active-Directory issue. I do not know how to configure Active Directory,
                      but if the PC is not in the correct workgroup, it can be very slow. I
                      have experienced this with the software I support in my day job.

                      What version of Windows is V-central? What version of Windows is your
                      PC? There may be a clue there.

                      The difference between the \\computername\etc. and V:\etc. is that there
                      could be some sort of network configuration that is not quite right and
                      makes the resolution of \\computername take longer. One way to test it
                      is to click Start > Run then type \\V-Central and press Enter. If
                      Explorer opens right away, then it is something to do with NoteTab. Also
                      do the Start > Run and type V:\ and see if Explorer opens as fast as the
                      other way. I have seen some programs that will not find a connection on
                      the network, but you can ping the PC.

                      You could also try the IP address of \\V-central in the run box.

                      My guess would be either something with active directory, or some other
                      misconfiguration on the network.

                      I have also seen lightning do weird things to network cards. Over the
                      years, I have experienced 5 clients having lightning strikes that do
                      just enough damage to the network card on one or more PCs that all
                      programs on the network work, except the one I support. Replacing the
                      network card fixes the problem. If you have had a lightning strike or
                      other major power surge, swapping out a network card may help.

                      HTH,

                      Larry Hamilton
                      Kairos Computer Solutions
                      http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
                      Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

                      xtx222003 wrote:
                      > Jeffery thanks for that fantastic question! Alec thank you for
                      > googling it down (sometime I forget how much one can learn from
                      > a simple search), it was worth more than a shot, because...
                      >
                      > BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
                      > in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
                      > files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
                      > Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
                      > Places is still like pouring molasses.
                      >
                      > I redid the "copy name" experiment you suggested, and you can see the
                      > results:
                      >
                      > SHARED file path
                      > \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt
                      >
                      > MAPPED file path
                      > V:\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt
                    • Alan_C
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                        On Tuesday 01 August 2006 15:21, xtx222003 wrote:
                        [ . . ]
                        > BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
                        > in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
                        > files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
                        > Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
                        > Places is still like pouring molasses.

                        I've a Samba share (on a Linux file server). Somehow it just works better
                        when in Win 2K on the network when the drive/Samba_share is mapped in Win 2K.

                        This is just sharing files across the network -- Notetab is not involved.

                        I've also experienced with (on Linux) a virtual machine (Qemu) that guest OS
                        Win 2K (running in Qemu) the Win 2K network browse (or browser) (or DOS
                        command net view) would not even find the Qemu native Samba share which is
                        linked into my above mentioned Samba server (network shared drive not found,
                        I thought it didn't work, something broken).

                        But the Qemu docs tells how to map the drive in Win and where to map such
                        drive to. Did as instructed here and abra cadabra my guest OS Win 2K is now
                        shares files with the Samba share (Linux box). My guess on this is that the
                        Qemu developers could care less about sending out those Microsoft network
                        noise (protocol(s) (is it netbios?) and chose not to do this -- thus not
                        found via network browse (MS net browse *relies* on those protocols) the
                        Linux way does not use protocols in that fashion like MS does. But the drive
                        is there (though not anounced via MS network noise -- so just map to it and
                        voilla! Qemu guest OS network share is now working!!

                        So there's *something* about it the mapping a network drive/share.

                        Actually, for all practical purposes, I think it makes it into (so that it
                        acts just like) a local drive so that it acts like a drive on My Computer
                        rather than acting like a network drive (though in reality it does remains a
                        network drive).

                        --
                        Alan.
                      • xtx222003
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                          Hi Larry,

                          These are two identical HP computers both running XP Home, networked
                          with our router.

                          Your Run tests confirms that the share \\V-Central is slow with NTP,
                          and the mapped V:\ is the winner by a landslide.

                          Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy when I unplug everything
                          during a lightning storm.

                          Thanks,