Re: [NTO] Re: HELP: 30 seconds to open txt file is killing me

  • Alec Burgess(g)
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 31, 2006
      Corl:
      I've no additional input on your original problem - SORRY!
      but just to clarify two questions in your response to Larry's response.

      > I thought a new NotePro.ini would be created to replace it, but
      > that didn't happen ...
      The INI file only gets written when you exit Notetab. When you opened it
      after having renaming the INI file, Notetab used defaults settings which it
      (presumably) wrote back to disk when you exited.

      If you did as you described it seems unlikely that the problem was a
      corrupted INI file.

      > I think my settings are not in the registry, but I don't know how I
      > would know for sure.

      In Notetab 4.x (ie. not the new Notetab 5) this can be set/changed in
      View/Options/Advanced. There is no advantage to setting it to use the
      registry but you can check to make sure it's not.

      NOTE - JODY:
      Notetab Pro 5.0 no longer has this option (which makes sense with changes to
      use user-AppData folders) but Help-Options-Advanced still documents this
      option.

      Regards ... Alec
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 31, 2006
        Hi Larry & Alex,

        With your help I found out that the INI was being written to the
        registry, but even with that option off I get the same slow network
        file opening, even after a good registry cleaning and a reboot to
        boot. I'm glad I can now backup the INI though.

        Thank you very much!
        Corl

        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess\(g\)"
        <buralex@...> wrote:

        > Corl:
        > I've no additional input on your original problem - SORRY!
        > but just to clarify two questions in your response to Larry's
        response.

        > > I thought a new NotePro.ini would be created to replace it, but
        > > that didn't happen ...
        > The INI file only gets written when you exit Notetab. When you
        opened it
        > after having renaming the INI file, Notetab used defaults settings
        which it
        > (presumably) wrote back to disk when you exited.
        >
        > If you did as you described it seems unlikely that the problem was a
        > corrupted INI file.
        >
        > > I think my settings are not in the registry, but I don't know
        how I
        > > would know for sure.
        >
        > In Notetab 4.x (ie. not the new Notetab 5) this can be set/changed
        in
        > View/Options/Advanced. There is no advantage to setting it to use
        the
        > registry but you can check to make sure it's not.
        >
        > NOTE - JODY:
        > Notetab Pro 5.0 no longer has this option (which makes sense with
        changes to
        > use user-AppData folders) but Help-Options-Advanced still documents
        this
        > option.
        >
        > Regards ... Alec
        > --

      • xtx222003
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 31, 2006
          Hi Jody,

          All of these same files open in the blink of an eye with every other
          txt and html editor, trouble is they are not NTP. I've been thinking of
          completely uninstalling NTP--then reinstalling it fresh to see if that
          might help, but I can't find my registration key. It has occurred to me
          that ntp495full.exe might be a separate installer I received after
          paying for it. Can you please confirm this?

          Plus, I was wondering if there have been different builds of this same
          installer/program, and maybe I got the one that's off, and I would be
          reinstalling the same error that is causing this problem?

          Thanks,
          Corl
        • Jeffery Scism
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 31, 2006
            Perhaps it's slow because the network issues? Is the network drive mapped?

            --
            ~~

            Jeffery Scism,
            USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
            NC/NE region
          • Alec Burgess(g)
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
              Corl (Jeffery):
              Jeff > Perhaps it's slow because the network issues? Is the network drive
              mapped?

              Corl (earlier) :
              >>All of these same files open in the blink of an eye with every other
              txt and html editor, trouble is they are not NTP.<<

              From what Corl says a network issue sounds improbable. IE - it's fast in
              Notepad but slow in Notetab :-(

              >>Plus, I was wondering if there have been different builds of this same
              installer/program, and maybe I got the one that's off<<

              hmmm ... I personally doubt it but maybe it would be worth trying the
              following ...

              from: http://www.notetab.com/
              download (free!) Notetab light: install it in a *separate* folder and try
              opening your problem text files with it.

              If it works in Notetab Light then we've got something for the other wizards
              <grin> to sink our collective teeth into. And failing that you could
              probably accomplish 97.3% of what you need to do just as easily in the Light
              version as in the Pro version.

              It *might* be worth trying the 30-day trial version of the new Notetab 5.0
              as well. This would start the clock running immediately on your chance to
              try the new version but if it does work you'd probably want to get the new
              version anyway with the "attractive" discount much discussed in recent days
              :-)

              Again ... I don't think either of these is going to work but you never know

              You probably mentioned earlier exactly which programs you've been able to
              speedily open for edit (?) but (since we're on the OFFTOPIC list already)
              you might try (just to get more data points) downloading and installing
              either or both of these two free text editors:
              PSPad and Metapad (Google for both).

              Next wild-ass-guess: (again IMO low chance of being correct)
              Are the files you are trying to open from the Network drives UNICODE (which
              Notepad handles natively but Notetab does not)?

              Have you tried:
              (a) copying (using Explorer etc.) a local file which Notetab opens quickly
              to the network drive in the same location as one of your "problem" files and
              trying to open that in Notetab?
              (b) as for (a) but use Save as ... from Notetab of a local file to the
              network location and trying to open that in Notetab?

              Also ... in Options/Tab Bar could you turn ON: Show Name as Tooltip and also
              for one of your problem files could you right click on its tab (once open)
              and "Copy Name" and show us what you get.
              I get something like this: C:\TEMP\NoName01.txt
              I'm just wondering if there might be something strange in the way that
              Notetab thinks your file is named that might provide a clue.

              Regards ... Alec
              --
              btw: Ale*C* not Ale*X* - I filter on "Alec" for "mystuff" to make sure I see
              it sooner:-)
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                Hi Corl,

                >All of these same files open in the blink of an eye with every
                >other txt and html editor, trouble is they are not NTP. I've been
                >thinking of completely uninstalling NTP--then reinstalling it
                >fresh to see if that might help, but I can't find my registration
                >key. It has occurred to me that ntp495full.exe might be a
                >separate installer I received after paying for it. Can you please
                >confirm this?
                >
                >Plus, I was wondering if there have been different builds of this
                >same installer/program, and maybe I got the one that's off, and I
                >would be reinstalling the same error that is causing this
                >problem?

                Yes, ntp495full.exe, is the registered program and does not need
                a key. Yes, there have been different builds. The latest one has
                the Check for Updates... and Poll for News features under the
                Help menu and comes in a different installer package than
                previous versions. I will send you download information for the
                latest 4.95. You can also download the v5.0 Pro Trial version to
                see if you still have the problem with it.

                This link has all our software listed on the page with a very
                brief description of it. http://www.fookes.com/products.php

                Aid4Mail: http://www.aid4mail.com

                About the 50% 4.95 to 5.0 Upgrade Discount...

                The discount does not show right away, please read the following.

                You have to order through the Help menu (Check for Updates...)
                feature in NoteTab in order to receive the discount.

                Other NoteTab 4.x customers can order an upgrade at a 50%
                discount. This discount is available to registered users of
                NoteTab Pro and NoteTab Std through the "News and Updates" dialog
                box, which is available from the "Help/Check for Updates" menu
                command. Make sure NoteTab is allowed access to the Internet. If
                you're seeing old information, click on the "Get headlines" button
                at the top of the News window.

                Please note that the first order screen shows the normal price
                before discount. The discounted amount only appears on the order
                confirmation page (you can still quit the order process at this
                stage).

                All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
                description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Hi Jeffery and Corl,

                  >Perhaps it's slow because the network issues? Is the network drive mapped?

                  I have had one other report over the years of files opening
                  slowly that are on a network. So, perhaps mapping it makes a
                  difference. I don't know anything about mapping other than seeing
                  the setting for it. ;)

                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                    Hi Jeffery,

                    I have no idea, I just used My Network Place Wizard to make the
                    connection. On each computer we set the folders to Share.

                    > Perhaps it's slow because the network issues? Is the network drive
                    mapped?

                    > Jeffery Scism,
                    > USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
                    > NC/NE region
                  • xtx222003
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                      Hi Alec,

                      >You probably mentioned earlier exactly which programs you've been
                      able to speedily open for edit (?)

                      Each of these programs open txt and html files in a blink.

                      * HTML Help Workshop 4.74
                      * Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004
                      * Macromedia HomeSite 5.5
                      * Metapad 3.51
                      * Microsoft Word 2003
                      * PSPad
                      * TED Notepad 4.53
                      * UltraEdit-32 12.10
                      * WordPad

                      But, NoteTab Pro 5.0, NoteTab Light, and NoteTab Pro 4.95 all take 30
                      seconds to open. Which leads me to believe that a) it's something
                      with NTP, and b) that migrating to XP Pro would not make any
                      difference.

                      When installing TED Notepad, it suggested that making it the default
                      program for txt files may interfere with your systems file protection
                      system. I'm still wondering about this and the way NotePad is
                      replaced with NoteTab.

                      While trouble shooting this, I've noticed that while it will take a
                      long time to open the first file, it will then open other files in a
                      blink. Maybe I could live with that, but then I noticed that if I
                      waited/worked for 20-30 seconds in between opening files, it would
                      revert back to taking 30 seconds to open the next file, and so on.

                      >Next wild-ass-guess: (again IMO low chance of being correct) Are the
                      files you are trying to open from the Network drives UNICODE (which
                      Notepad handles natively but Notetab does not)?

                      I don't know how to know this. They were created with NTP. The status
                      bar says, format: Windows/DOS. WordPad saw and opened the files as
                      both regular and unicode.

                      >(a) copying (using Explorer etc.) a local file which Notetab opens
                      quickly to the network drive in the same location as one of
                      your "problem" files and trying to open that in Notetab?

                      Same.

                      >(b) as for (a) but use Save as ...

                      Same.

                      >Also ... in Options/Tab Bar could you turn ON: Show Name as Tooltip
                      and also for one of your problem files could you right click on its
                      tab (once open) and "Copy Name" and show us what you get.

                      I get: \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

                      --
                      >btw: Ale*C* not Ale*X* - I filter on "Alec" for "mystuff" to make
                      sure I see it sooner:-)

                      My apologies.

                      Thanks for all your suggestions.

                      Corl
                    • Alec Burgess(g)
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                        Corl:
                        I didn't know anything more about shared non-mapped vs shared mapped than
                        Jody did but googling "network drive mapped" and then reading:
                        http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdrive.ht
                        and the result you got when you pasted the result of "copy name" makes me
                        think that:
                        You've got a shared but not-mapped folder.

                        I haven't currently got a Network to test on but it certainly sounds like
                        following the procedure described is worth a shot.

                        Please report back if it works. That would give Jody a confirmed work-around
                        for the third time it comes up :-) (and probably allow Eric to fix it when
                        he gets a chance - given the number of programs you've verified don't choke
                        on shared non-mapped)

                        Regards ... Alec
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                          Jeffery thanks for that fantastic question! Alec thank you for
                          googling it down (sometime I forget how much one can learn from
                          a simple search), it was worth more than a shot, because...

                          BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
                          in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
                          files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
                          Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
                          Places is still like pouring molasses.

                          I redid the "copy name" experiment you suggested, and you can see the
                          results:

                          SHARED file path
                          \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

                          MAPPED file path
                          V:\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

                          You are my heroes! This made all the difference in the world, and
                          will allow me to keep using the power of NTP for the massive project
                          I'm involved in!

                          I'm confident this solution will stick, because this time it isn't
                          just working by chance, but rather by using a method designed for
                          working in a networked environment.

                          Thank you, thank you, and thank you again!!!
                          Corl

                          PS everyone
                          48 messages to resolution since Dec, I guess that perseverance really
                          does pays off. Thank you all for your patience and input.

                          > I didn't know anything more about shared non-mapped vs shared
                          mapped than
                          > Jody did but googling "network drive mapped" and then reading:

                          http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdr
                          ive.htm
                          > and the result you got when you pasted the result of "copy name"
                          makes me
                          > think that:
                          > You've got a shared but not-mapped folder.
                          >

                          > Regards ... Alec
                          > --

                        • xtx222003
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                            Thanks for the confirmation Jody. Looks like Jeffery and Alec found the
                            solution and it all works as it should. I look forward to using the
                            latest version as well.

                            Best,
                            Corl

                            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Corl,
                            >
                            > Yes, ntp495full.exe, is the registered program and does not need
                            > a key. Yes, there have been different builds. The latest one has
                            > the Check for Updates... and Poll for News features under the
                            > Help menu and comes in a different installer package than
                            > previous versions. I will send you download information for the
                            > latest 4.95. You can also download the v5.0 Pro Trial version to
                            > see if you still have the problem with it.
                          • Larry Hamilton
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                              Corl,

                              Is V-central a server or workstation? If it is a server, it could be an
                              Active-Directory issue. I do not know how to configure Active Directory,
                              but if the PC is not in the correct workgroup, it can be very slow. I
                              have experienced this with the software I support in my day job.

                              What version of Windows is V-central? What version of Windows is your
                              PC? There may be a clue there.

                              The difference between the \\computername\etc. and V:\etc. is that there
                              could be some sort of network configuration that is not quite right and
                              makes the resolution of \\computername take longer. One way to test it
                              is to click Start > Run then type \\V-Central and press Enter. If
                              Explorer opens right away, then it is something to do with NoteTab. Also
                              do the Start > Run and type V:\ and see if Explorer opens as fast as the
                              other way. I have seen some programs that will not find a connection on
                              the network, but you can ping the PC.

                              You could also try the IP address of \\V-central in the run box.

                              My guess would be either something with active directory, or some other
                              misconfiguration on the network.

                              I have also seen lightning do weird things to network cards. Over the
                              years, I have experienced 5 clients having lightning strikes that do
                              just enough damage to the network card on one or more PCs that all
                              programs on the network work, except the one I support. Replacing the
                              network card fixes the problem. If you have had a lightning strike or
                              other major power surge, swapping out a network card may help.

                              HTH,

                              Larry Hamilton
                              Kairos Computer Solutions
                              http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
                              Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

                              xtx222003 wrote:
                              > Jeffery thanks for that fantastic question! Alec thank you for
                              > googling it down (sometime I forget how much one can learn from
                              > a simple search), it was worth more than a shot, because...
                              >
                              > BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
                              > in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
                              > files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
                              > Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
                              > Places is still like pouring molasses.
                              >
                              > I redid the "copy name" experiment you suggested, and you can see the
                              > results:
                              >
                              > SHARED file path
                              > \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt
                              >
                              > MAPPED file path
                              > V:\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt
                            • Alan_C
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                                On Tuesday 01 August 2006 15:21, xtx222003 wrote:
                                [ . . ]
                                > BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
                                > in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
                                > files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
                                > Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
                                > Places is still like pouring molasses.

                                I've a Samba share (on a Linux file server). Somehow it just works better
                                when in Win 2K on the network when the drive/Samba_share is mapped in Win 2K.

                                This is just sharing files across the network -- Notetab is not involved.

                                I've also experienced with (on Linux) a virtual machine (Qemu) that guest OS
                                Win 2K (running in Qemu) the Win 2K network browse (or browser) (or DOS
                                command net view) would not even find the Qemu native Samba share which is
                                linked into my above mentioned Samba server (network shared drive not found,
                                I thought it didn't work, something broken).

                                But the Qemu docs tells how to map the drive in Win and where to map such
                                drive to. Did as instructed here and abra cadabra my guest OS Win 2K is now
                                shares files with the Samba share (Linux box). My guess on this is that the
                                Qemu developers could care less about sending out those Microsoft network
                                noise (protocol(s) (is it netbios?) and chose not to do this -- thus not
                                found via network browse (MS net browse *relies* on those protocols) the
                                Linux way does not use protocols in that fashion like MS does. But the drive
                                is there (though not anounced via MS network noise -- so just map to it and
                                voilla! Qemu guest OS network share is now working!!

                                So there's *something* about it the mapping a network drive/share.

                                Actually, for all practical purposes, I think it makes it into (so that it
                                acts just like) a local drive so that it acts like a drive on My Computer
                                rather than acting like a network drive (though in reality it does remains a
                                network drive).

                                --
                                Alan.
                              • xtx222003
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                                  Hi Larry,

                                  These are two identical HP computers both running XP Home, networked
                                  with our router.

                                  Your Run tests confirms that the share \\V-Central is slow with NTP,
                                  and the mapped V:\ is the winner by a landslide.

                                  Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy when I unplug everything
                                  during a lightning storm.