Re: [NTO] HELP: 30 seconds to open txt file is killing me

  • Alex Plantema
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 25, 2006
      Op dinsdag 25 juli 2006 23:15 schreef xtx222003:

      > Any ideas besides OS transplant are welcome. I really don't want to
      > leave NTP, but I'm getting anxious as a mega project is looming, and
      > need some text editing program as simple and easy to work with as
      > NTP. All suggestions will be welcomed with open arms.

      Did you try to clear the list of recently opened files?
      NoteTab checks them when it's opened.
      If some of them are on a slow device it might delay this.

      Alex.
    • xtx222003
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 25, 2006
        Hi Alex,

        That was an interesting suggestion. When I tried this it appeared to
        help, but then it didn't. When I cleared the list files opened right
        away, but after a few more it was right back to being the tortoise,
        then if I opened a file from another folder it would go back to being
        slow, and fast again for other files in that folder, then it would go
        slow again. Then I'd move back to the first folder and it would be
        slow again, and then fast for the next bunch then slow, and so on. I
        was all excited, but now I'm just confused as to what NTP is doing.

        You know how you can associate a file with a particular program?
        Right click > Open with > Choose program > select NTP icon > check
        always use this program. I noticed an odd program in their
        called "Dummy Notepad Program" and when I selected it, it finally
        opened the file in NTP. I wonder if this is some sort of fix for the
        Replace Notepad, and if there might be some sort of conflict here???

        Corl

        > Did you try to clear the list of recently opened files?
        > NoteTab checks them when it's opened.
        > If some of them are on a slow device it might delay this.
        >
        > Alex.

      • dave
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 26, 2006
          Hi
          we are taking an ordinary text file has no hiden characters anywhere ?
          I think I am running out of ideas.
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 26, 2006
            Hi Dave,

            Yes that's the kicker, they are ordinary txt files, usually very small,
            with the only hidden characters being ^T and ^P.

            Thanks for taking the time,
            Corl

            P.S.
            After 8 months of living with this I'm not feeling optimistic about
            this issue getting solved with NTP, what other text editors have you
            found that could give NTP a run for it's money?

          • bruce.somers@web.de
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 26, 2006
              > After 8 months of living with this I'm not feeling optimistic about
              > this issue getting solved with NTP, what other text editors have you
              > found that could give NTP a run for it's money?

              Probably none. Has it escaped you, that no one else is familiar with the behavior that you have observed?

              You would do well to look for the cause somewhere else.

              Bruce
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 28, 2006
                Corl,

                Since the recently used file list is kept in the notetab.ini file,
                unless you are storing settings in the registry, perhaps there is a
                problem with your ini file. Try renaming your ini file, after stopping
                NoteTab, and re-start NoteTab, and see if the problem still occurs.

                Larry Hamilton
                Kairos Computer Solutions
                http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
                Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

                xtx222003 wrote:
                > Hi Alex,
                >
                > That was an interesting suggestion. When I tried this it appeared to
                > help, but then it didn't. When I cleared the list files opened right
                > away, but after a few more it was right back to being the tortoise,
                > then if I opened a file from another folder it would go back to being
                > slow, and fast again for other files in that folder, then it would go
                > slow again. Then I'd move back to the first folder and it would be
                > slow again, and then fast for the next bunch then slow, and so on. I
                > was all excited, but now I'm just confused as to what NTP is doing.
                >
                > You know how you can associate a file with a particular program?
                > Right click > Open with > Choose program > select NTP icon > check
                > always use this program. I noticed an odd program in their
                > called "Dummy Notepad Program" and when I selected it, it finally
                > opened the file in NTP. I wonder if this is some sort of fix for the
                > Replace Notepad, and if there might be some sort of conflict here???
                >
                > Corl
                >

                >> Did you try to clear the list of recently opened files?
                >> NoteTab checks them when it's opened.
                >> If some of them are on a slow device it might delay this.
                >>
                >> Alex.
              • xtx222003
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 31, 2006
                  Hi Larry,

                  I renamed NotePro.ini > NotePro.ini.old, then reopened NTP with no
                  change. I thought a new NotePro.ini would be created to replace it, but
                  that didn't happen, even when I removed it from that folder. I think my
                  settings are not in the registry, but I don't know how I would know for
                  sure.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 31, 2006
                    Hi Corl,

                    Look in View | Options | Advanced | Store settings in system registry.

                    >I renamed NotePro.ini > NotePro.ini.old, then reopened NTP with no
                    >change. I thought a new NotePro.ini would be created to replace it, but
                    >that didn't happen, even when I removed it from that folder. I think my
                    >settings are not in the registry, but I don't know how I would know for
                    >sure.
                    >
                    >Thanks,
                    >Corl

                    > Since the recently used file list is kept in the notetab.ini file,
                    > unless you are storing settings in the registry, perhaps there is a
                    > problem with your ini file. Try renaming your ini file, after
                    > stopping NoteTab, and re-start NoteTab, and see if the problem
                    > still occurs.
                    >
                    > Larry Hamilton
                    > Kairos Computer Solutions
                    > http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
                    > Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

                    Happy Tab'n,
                    Jody Adair

                  • Alec Burgess(g)
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 31, 2006
                      Corl:
                      I've no additional input on your original problem - SORRY!
                      but just to clarify two questions in your response to Larry's response.

                      > I thought a new NotePro.ini would be created to replace it, but
                      > that didn't happen ...
                      The INI file only gets written when you exit Notetab. When you opened it
                      after having renaming the INI file, Notetab used defaults settings which it
                      (presumably) wrote back to disk when you exited.

                      If you did as you described it seems unlikely that the problem was a
                      corrupted INI file.

                      > I think my settings are not in the registry, but I don't know how I
                      > would know for sure.

                      In Notetab 4.x (ie. not the new Notetab 5) this can be set/changed in
                      View/Options/Advanced. There is no advantage to setting it to use the
                      registry but you can check to make sure it's not.

                      NOTE - JODY:
                      Notetab Pro 5.0 no longer has this option (which makes sense with changes to
                      use user-AppData folders) but Help-Options-Advanced still documents this
                      option.

                      Regards ... Alec
                      > I renamed NotePro.ini > NotePro.ini.old, then reopened NTP with no
                      > change. I thought a new NotePro.ini would be created to replace it, but
                      > that didn't happen, even when I removed it from that folder. I think my
                      > settings are not in the registry, but I don't know how I would know for
                      > sure.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Corl
                      >

                      > > Since the recently used file list is kept in the notetab.ini file,
                      > > unless you are storing settings in the registry, perhaps there is a
                      > > problem with your ini file. Try renaming your ini file, after
                      > > stopping NoteTab, and re-start NoteTab, and see if the problem
                      > > still occurs.
                    • xtx222003
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 31, 2006
                        Hi Larry & Alex,

                        With your help I found out that the INI was being written to the
                        registry, but even with that option off I get the same slow network
                        file opening, even after a good registry cleaning and a reboot to
                        boot. I'm glad I can now backup the INI though.

                        Thank you very much!
                        Corl

                        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess\(g\)"
                        <buralex@...> wrote:

                        > Corl:
                        > I've no additional input on your original problem - SORRY!
                        > but just to clarify two questions in your response to Larry's
                        response.

                        > > I thought a new NotePro.ini would be created to replace it, but
                        > > that didn't happen ...
                        > The INI file only gets written when you exit Notetab. When you
                        opened it
                        > after having renaming the INI file, Notetab used defaults settings
                        which it
                        > (presumably) wrote back to disk when you exited.
                        >
                        > If you did as you described it seems unlikely that the problem was a
                        > corrupted INI file.
                        >
                        > > I think my settings are not in the registry, but I don't know
                        how I
                        > > would know for sure.
                        >
                        > In Notetab 4.x (ie. not the new Notetab 5) this can be set/changed
                        in
                        > View/Options/Advanced. There is no advantage to setting it to use
                        the
                        > registry but you can check to make sure it's not.
                        >
                        > NOTE - JODY:
                        > Notetab Pro 5.0 no longer has this option (which makes sense with
                        changes to
                        > use user-AppData folders) but Help-Options-Advanced still documents
                        this
                        > option.
                        >
                        > Regards ... Alec
                        > --

                      • xtx222003
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 31, 2006
                          Hi Jody,

                          All of these same files open in the blink of an eye with every other
                          txt and html editor, trouble is they are not NTP. I've been thinking of
                          completely uninstalling NTP--then reinstalling it fresh to see if that
                          might help, but I can't find my registration key. It has occurred to me
                          that ntp495full.exe might be a separate installer I received after
                          paying for it. Can you please confirm this?

                          Plus, I was wondering if there have been different builds of this same
                          installer/program, and maybe I got the one that's off, and I would be
                          reinstalling the same error that is causing this problem?

                          Thanks,
                          Corl
                        • Jeffery Scism
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 31, 2006
                            Perhaps it's slow because the network issues? Is the network drive mapped?

                            --
                            ~~

                            Jeffery Scism,
                            USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
                            NC/NE region
                          • Alec Burgess(g)
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 1 12:32 AM
                              Corl (Jeffery):
                              Jeff > Perhaps it's slow because the network issues? Is the network drive
                              mapped?

                              Corl (earlier) :
                              >>All of these same files open in the blink of an eye with every other
                              txt and html editor, trouble is they are not NTP.<<

                              From what Corl says a network issue sounds improbable. IE - it's fast in
                              Notepad but slow in Notetab :-(

                              >>Plus, I was wondering if there have been different builds of this same
                              installer/program, and maybe I got the one that's off<<

                              hmmm ... I personally doubt it but maybe it would be worth trying the
                              following ...

                              from: http://www.notetab.com/
                              download (free!) Notetab light: install it in a *separate* folder and try
                              opening your problem text files with it.

                              If it works in Notetab Light then we've got something for the other wizards
                              <grin> to sink our collective teeth into. And failing that you could
                              probably accomplish 97.3% of what you need to do just as easily in the Light
                              version as in the Pro version.

                              It *might* be worth trying the 30-day trial version of the new Notetab 5.0
                              as well. This would start the clock running immediately on your chance to
                              try the new version but if it does work you'd probably want to get the new
                              version anyway with the "attractive" discount much discussed in recent days
                              :-)

                              Again ... I don't think either of these is going to work but you never know

                              You probably mentioned earlier exactly which programs you've been able to
                              speedily open for edit (?) but (since we're on the OFFTOPIC list already)
                              you might try (just to get more data points) downloading and installing
                              either or both of these two free text editors:
                              PSPad and Metapad (Google for both).

                              Next wild-ass-guess: (again IMO low chance of being correct)
                              Are the files you are trying to open from the Network drives UNICODE (which
                              Notepad handles natively but Notetab does not)?

                              Have you tried:
                              (a) copying (using Explorer etc.) a local file which Notetab opens quickly
                              to the network drive in the same location as one of your "problem" files and
                              trying to open that in Notetab?
                              (b) as for (a) but use Save as ... from Notetab of a local file to the
                              network location and trying to open that in Notetab?

                              Also ... in Options/Tab Bar could you turn ON: Show Name as Tooltip and also
                              for one of your problem files could you right click on its tab (once open)
                              and "Copy Name" and show us what you get.
                              I get something like this: C:\TEMP\NoName01.txt
                              I'm just wondering if there might be something strange in the way that
                              Notetab thinks your file is named that might provide a clue.

                              Regards ... Alec
                              --
                              btw: Ale*C* not Ale*X* - I filter on "Alec" for "mystuff" to make sure I see
                              it sooner:-)
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 1 6:59 AM
                                Hi Corl,

                                >All of these same files open in the blink of an eye with every
                                >other txt and html editor, trouble is they are not NTP. I've been
                                >thinking of completely uninstalling NTP--then reinstalling it
                                >fresh to see if that might help, but I can't find my registration
                                >key. It has occurred to me that ntp495full.exe might be a
                                >separate installer I received after paying for it. Can you please
                                >confirm this?
                                >
                                >Plus, I was wondering if there have been different builds of this
                                >same installer/program, and maybe I got the one that's off, and I
                                >would be reinstalling the same error that is causing this
                                >problem?

                                Yes, ntp495full.exe, is the registered program and does not need
                                a key. Yes, there have been different builds. The latest one has
                                the Check for Updates... and Poll for News features under the
                                Help menu and comes in a different installer package than
                                previous versions. I will send you download information for the
                                latest 4.95. You can also download the v5.0 Pro Trial version to
                                see if you still have the problem with it.

                                This link has all our software listed on the page with a very
                                brief description of it. http://www.fookes.com/products.php

                                Aid4Mail: http://www.aid4mail.com

                                About the 50% 4.95 to 5.0 Upgrade Discount...

                                The discount does not show right away, please read the following.

                                You have to order through the Help menu (Check for Updates...)
                                feature in NoteTab in order to receive the discount.

                                Other NoteTab 4.x customers can order an upgrade at a 50%
                                discount. This discount is available to registered users of
                                NoteTab Pro and NoteTab Std through the "News and Updates" dialog
                                box, which is available from the "Help/Check for Updates" menu
                                command. Make sure NoteTab is allowed access to the Internet. If
                                you're seeing old information, click on the "Get headlines" button
                                at the top of the News window.

                                Please note that the first order screen shows the normal price
                                before discount. The discounted amount only appears on the order
                                confirmation page (you can still quit the order process at this
                                stage).

                                All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
                                description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
                                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                                The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                                mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 1 7:04 AM
                                  Hi Jeffery and Corl,

                                  >Perhaps it's slow because the network issues? Is the network drive mapped?

                                  I have had one other report over the years of files opening
                                  slowly that are on a network. So, perhaps mapping it makes a
                                  difference. I don't know anything about mapping other than seeing
                                  the setting for it. ;)

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 1 9:33 AM
                                    Hi Jeffery,

                                    I have no idea, I just used My Network Place Wizard to make the
                                    connection. On each computer we set the folders to Share.

                                    > Perhaps it's slow because the network issues? Is the network drive
                                    mapped?

                                    > Jeffery Scism,
                                    > USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
                                    > NC/NE region
                                  • xtx222003
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 1 10:16 AM
                                      Hi Alec,

                                      >You probably mentioned earlier exactly which programs you've been
                                      able to speedily open for edit (?)

                                      Each of these programs open txt and html files in a blink.

                                      * HTML Help Workshop 4.74
                                      * Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004
                                      * Macromedia HomeSite 5.5
                                      * Metapad 3.51
                                      * Microsoft Word 2003
                                      * PSPad
                                      * TED Notepad 4.53
                                      * UltraEdit-32 12.10
                                      * WordPad

                                      But, NoteTab Pro 5.0, NoteTab Light, and NoteTab Pro 4.95 all take 30
                                      seconds to open. Which leads me to believe that a) it's something
                                      with NTP, and b) that migrating to XP Pro would not make any
                                      difference.

                                      When installing TED Notepad, it suggested that making it the default
                                      program for txt files may interfere with your systems file protection
                                      system. I'm still wondering about this and the way NotePad is
                                      replaced with NoteTab.

                                      While trouble shooting this, I've noticed that while it will take a
                                      long time to open the first file, it will then open other files in a
                                      blink. Maybe I could live with that, but then I noticed that if I
                                      waited/worked for 20-30 seconds in between opening files, it would
                                      revert back to taking 30 seconds to open the next file, and so on.

                                      >Next wild-ass-guess: (again IMO low chance of being correct) Are the
                                      files you are trying to open from the Network drives UNICODE (which
                                      Notepad handles natively but Notetab does not)?

                                      I don't know how to know this. They were created with NTP. The status
                                      bar says, format: Windows/DOS. WordPad saw and opened the files as
                                      both regular and unicode.

                                      >(a) copying (using Explorer etc.) a local file which Notetab opens
                                      quickly to the network drive in the same location as one of
                                      your "problem" files and trying to open that in Notetab?

                                      Same.

                                      >(b) as for (a) but use Save as ...

                                      Same.

                                      >Also ... in Options/Tab Bar could you turn ON: Show Name as Tooltip
                                      and also for one of your problem files could you right click on its
                                      tab (once open) and "Copy Name" and show us what you get.

                                      I get: \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

                                      --
                                      >btw: Ale*C* not Ale*X* - I filter on "Alec" for "mystuff" to make
                                      sure I see it sooner:-)

                                      My apologies.

                                      Thanks for all your suggestions.

                                      Corl
                                    • Alec Burgess(g)
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 1 12:21 PM
                                        Corl:
                                        I didn't know anything more about shared non-mapped vs shared mapped than
                                        Jody did but googling "network drive mapped" and then reading:
                                        http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdrive.ht
                                        and the result you got when you pasted the result of "copy name" makes me
                                        think that:
                                        You've got a shared but not-mapped folder.

                                        I haven't currently got a Network to test on but it certainly sounds like
                                        following the procedure described is worth a shot.

                                        Please report back if it works. That would give Jody a confirmed work-around
                                        for the third time it comes up :-) (and probably allow Eric to fix it when
                                        he gets a chance - given the number of programs you've verified don't choke
                                        on shared non-mapped)

                                        Regards ... Alec
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 1 3:21 PM
                                          Jeffery thanks for that fantastic question! Alec thank you for
                                          googling it down (sometime I forget how much one can learn from
                                          a simple search), it was worth more than a shot, because...

                                          BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
                                          in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
                                          files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
                                          Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
                                          Places is still like pouring molasses.

                                          I redid the "copy name" experiment you suggested, and you can see the
                                          results:

                                          SHARED file path
                                          \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

                                          MAPPED file path
                                          V:\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

                                          You are my heroes! This made all the difference in the world, and
                                          will allow me to keep using the power of NTP for the massive project
                                          I'm involved in!

                                          I'm confident this solution will stick, because this time it isn't
                                          just working by chance, but rather by using a method designed for
                                          working in a networked environment.

                                          Thank you, thank you, and thank you again!!!
                                          Corl

                                          PS everyone
                                          48 messages to resolution since Dec, I guess that perseverance really
                                          does pays off. Thank you all for your patience and input.

                                          > I didn't know anything more about shared non-mapped vs shared
                                          mapped than
                                          > Jody did but googling "network drive mapped" and then reading:

                                          http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdr
                                          ive.htm
                                          > and the result you got when you pasted the result of "copy name"
                                          makes me
                                          > think that:
                                          > You've got a shared but not-mapped folder.
                                          >

                                          > Regards ... Alec
                                          > --

                                        • xtx222003
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 1 3:26 PM
                                            Thanks for the confirmation Jody. Looks like Jeffery and Alec found the
                                            solution and it all works as it should. I look forward to using the
                                            latest version as well.

                                            Best,
                                            Corl

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 1 7:48 PM
                                              Corl,

                                              Is V-central a server or workstation? If it is a server, it could be an
                                              Active-Directory issue. I do not know how to configure Active Directory,
                                              but if the PC is not in the correct workgroup, it can be very slow. I
                                              have experienced this with the software I support in my day job.

                                              What version of Windows is V-central? What version of Windows is your
                                              PC? There may be a clue there.

                                              The difference between the \\computername\etc. and V:\etc. is that there
                                              could be some sort of network configuration that is not quite right and
                                              makes the resolution of \\computername take longer. One way to test it
                                              is to click Start > Run then type \\V-Central and press Enter. If
                                              Explorer opens right away, then it is something to do with NoteTab. Also
                                              do the Start > Run and type V:\ and see if Explorer opens as fast as the
                                              other way. I have seen some programs that will not find a connection on
                                              the network, but you can ping the PC.

                                              You could also try the IP address of \\V-central in the run box.

                                              My guess would be either something with active directory, or some other
                                              misconfiguration on the network.

                                              I have also seen lightning do weird things to network cards. Over the
                                              years, I have experienced 5 clients having lightning strikes that do
                                              just enough damage to the network card on one or more PCs that all
                                              programs on the network work, except the one I support. Replacing the
                                              network card fixes the problem. If you have had a lightning strike or
                                              other major power surge, swapping out a network card may help.

                                              HTH,

                                              xtx222003 wrote:
                                              > Jeffery thanks for that fantastic question! Alec thank you for
                                              > googling it down (sometime I forget how much one can learn from
                                              > a simple search), it was worth more than a shot, because...
                                              >
                                              > BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
                                              > in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
                                              > files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
                                              > Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
                                              > Places is still like pouring molasses.
                                              >
                                              > I redid the "copy name" experiment you suggested, and you can see the
                                              > results:
                                              >
                                              > SHARED file path
                                              > \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt
                                              >
                                              > MAPPED file path
                                              > V:\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt
                                            • Alan_C
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 1 8:01 PM
                                                On Tuesday 01 August 2006 15:21, xtx222003 wrote:
                                                [ . . ]
                                                > BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
                                                > in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
                                                > files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
                                                > Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
                                                > Places is still like pouring molasses.

                                                I've a Samba share (on a Linux file server). Somehow it just works better
                                                when in Win 2K on the network when the drive/Samba_share is mapped in Win 2K.

                                                This is just sharing files across the network -- Notetab is not involved.

                                                I've also experienced with (on Linux) a virtual machine (Qemu) that guest OS
                                                Win 2K (running in Qemu) the Win 2K network browse (or browser) (or DOS
                                                command net view) would not even find the Qemu native Samba share which is
                                                linked into my above mentioned Samba server (network shared drive not found,
                                                I thought it didn't work, something broken).

                                                But the Qemu docs tells how to map the drive in Win and where to map such
                                                drive to. Did as instructed here and abra cadabra my guest OS Win 2K is now
                                                shares files with the Samba share (Linux box). My guess on this is that the
                                                Qemu developers could care less about sending out those Microsoft network
                                                noise (protocol(s) (is it netbios?) and chose not to do this -- thus not
                                                found via network browse (MS net browse *relies* on those protocols) the
                                                Linux way does not use protocols in that fashion like MS does. But the drive
                                                is there (though not anounced via MS network noise -- so just map to it and
                                                voilla! Qemu guest OS network share is now working!!

                                                So there's *something* about it the mapping a network drive/share.

                                                Actually, for all practical purposes, I think it makes it into (so that it
                                                acts just like) a local drive so that it acts like a drive on My Computer
                                                rather than acting like a network drive (though in reality it does remains a
                                                network drive).

                                                --
                                                Alan.
                                              • xtx222003
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Aug 1 11:56 PM
                                                  Hi Larry,

                                                  These are two identical HP computers both running XP Home, networked
                                                  with our router.

                                                  Your Run tests confirms that the share \\V-Central is slow with NTP,
                                                  and the mapped V:\ is the winner by a landslide.

                                                  Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy when I unplug everything
                                                  during a lightning storm.