Re: [NTO] Reading .txt & .otl from DOS

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2000
      Hy Sky,

      At 01:18 PM 07/13/2000 -0000, you wrote:
      >Hi All...
      >
      >All this talk of reformatting C Drive has got me a bit
      >nostalgic... (Yeah-right!)
      >
      >Does anyone know of the easiest way to read UNWRAPPED text (or
      >outlined documents) while in DOS mode? I have tons of
      >"Reformatting Tips", but just realized yesterday that DOS' Edit
      >command does not wrap the text. (DOS is definitely not my
      >forte...!!)
      >
      >If I get into a bind while in the middle of reformatting, I would
      >rather not spend the afternoon scrolling right, then left, then
      >right, then left, just to find the needed tip.

      I think you are talking about using the MS-DOS EDIT.COM editor. I cannot
      think of a way to do what you are asking with this editor. I have a very
      old version of List.com from Buerg Software that allows you to view DOS
      files in a wrapped or unwrapped mode as you chose but I don't use it any
      more except in situations where I cannot get my computer to boot and I have
      to run from a floppy in DOS which very seldom happens.

      This software has now been upgraded many times and is selling under the
      name List Plus for $20.00. There is also a List Enhanced version that is
      very expensive. You can download a trial version from the Buerg website.

      http://www.buerg.com/

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • Sky-Surfer
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 13, 2000
        Thanx for the input Larry...

        I don't foresee me using a DOS text viewer very often, (Only in dire
        situations really...) so "Freeware" would be preferred.

        If/when my computer goes on the blink, and I find myself stuck in
        DOS, I simply need to be able to read crucial .txt & .otl files WORD
        WRAPPED...!!

        PLEASE NOTE:

        90% of my existing .txt & .otl files are WRAPPED... The Freeware DOS
        viewer I am seeking will auto-wrap all text (so I don't have to
        modify 1000's of my documents...)

        Thanx,
        Sky