Re: [NTO] v5 will be FREE to V4 users?

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 23, 2006
      Hi Josh, John, Others...

      I realize that I posted in the past that there would probably be
      a free upgrade to version 5 of NoteTab. I based that on what Eric
      told me and what he believed at the time.

      However, due to a change in major plans about NoteTab and
      specifically a total rewrite of the program (probably not
      happening, at least for a long, long time) we are now probably
      going to charge an upgrade fee. I *may be* 50% of the new cost
      for new buyers, but we are unsure about any pricing at this time.

      V4 users have been receiving free upgrades for about 8-10 years
      now. The program has grown tremendously during that time. We
      could have easily been up to v7 by now charging 3 upgrade fees.

      The good news about v5 though is that Eric Fookes, the developer
      of NoteTab, has upgraded his code to Delphi 6 (?) which he uses
      to program NoteTab with. That means that he will be encouraged to
      do more programming using the same input control in NoteTab. (See
      NoteTab | Glossary for terms you do not understand.) He uses
      NoteTab a whole lot, so the program is not in the plans to to die
      at all; unthinkable as far as Fookes Software is concerned at
      this time.

      So, we will see more features coming, but unfortunately the
      highly requested customizable syntax highlighting will not come
      to be nor the better blocking tool for working with
      columns/blocks/fields of data anytime soon or maybe not at all. :(

      V5 already has a much further advanced Regular Expression engine
      (PCRE ?) for those that use RegExp. Some features will perhaps be
      added to v5 for its first release. It fixes a number of bugs
      including the compatibility with WinXP and user accounts, not
      being able to change settings and opening more than one file from
      Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and/or long file paths.

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 23, 2006
        Hello Josh, John, Others...

        This is a correction of a typo in the second paragraph below. It
        read, "I *may be* 50% of the new cost for new buyers, but we are
        unsure about any pricing at this time." The "I" should have been
        "It" and I corrected it below and directly below I made it say:

        It *may be* 50% of the new cost for new buyers, but we are
        unsure about any pricing at this time.

        >I realize that I posted in the past that there would probably be
        >a free upgrade to version 5 of NoteTab. I based that on what Eric
        >told me and what he believed at the time.
        >
        >However, due to a change in major plans about NoteTab and
        >specifically a total rewrite of the program (probably not
        >happening, at least for a long, long time) we are now probably
        >going to charge an upgrade fee. It *may be* 50% of the new cost
        >for new buyers, but we are unsure about any pricing at this time.
        >
        >V4 users have been receiving free upgrades for about 8-10 years
        >now. The program has grown tremendously during that time. We
        >could have easily been up to v7 by now charging 3 upgrade fees.
        >
        >The good news about v5 though is that Eric Fookes, the developer
        >of NoteTab, has upgraded his code to Delphi 6 (?) which he uses
        >to program NoteTab with. That means that he will be encouraged to
        >do more programming using the same input control in NoteTab. (See
        >NoteTab | Glossary for terms you do not understand.) He uses
        >NoteTab a whole lot, so the program is not in the plans to to die
        >at all; unthinkable as far as Fookes Software is concerned at
        >this time.
        >
        >So, we will see more features coming, but unfortunately the
        >highly requested customizable syntax highlighting will not come
        >to be nor the better blocking tool for working with
        >columns/blocks/fields of data anytime soon or maybe not at all. :(
        >
        >V5 already has a much further advanced Regular Expression engine
        >(PCRE) for those that use RegExp. Some features will perhaps be
        >added to v5 for its first release. It fixes a number of bugs
        >including the compatibility with WinXP and user accounts, not
        >being able to change settings and opening more than one file from
        >Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and/or long file paths.
        >
        >>On 5/9/06, John Zeman <john041650@...> wrote:
        >>> My personal opinion is I'd rather pay an upgrade fee for V5
        >>> just so I'd finally have some proof that I am a registered
        >>> user. It's been so long since I bought NoteTab V4 I have no
        >>> idea how I became a registered user originally. I know I paid
        >>> for it, but that's all I remember.
        >>>
        >>> John
        >>>
        >> Josh Simmons wrote:
        >> While I basically agree with this, I purchased Pro I can't even
        >> remember how long ago at version 4.9 something, and can't
        >> recall ever seeing an update, but this not a complaint. Note
        >> tab has made things allot easier for me in terms of
        >> organization of text files, and I use it for all my web coding
        >> (ASM for microcontrollers too, though I seem to have lost the
        >> clipbook I made). It has worked quite well for me, with only
        >> minor issues for such a full-featured editor, and I would have
        >> no complaints about paying an upgrade fee, but I'd still be
        >> quite happy to receive it free. :)

        All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
        description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        The NoteTab Off-Topic List
        mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
      • Josh - CK
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
          On 6/23/06, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@...> wrote:
          > Look for the clip in libraries folder under your notetab file that is
          > probably in programs folder. Failing that, try a search of files on the
          > computer looking for .clb files and see if you can find it. There may
          > also be a .bak copy of the clips in the library folder. Not what you
          > were asking, but figured I'd try to help.
          > --

          'Lost' as in not moved from an old PC, not like it just disappeared on me, heh.

          Thanks anyway,
          Josh Simmons