Re: [NTO] v5 will be FREE to V4 users?

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 23, 2006
      Look for the clip in libraries folder under your notetab file that is
      probably in programs folder. Failing that, try a search of files on the
      computer looking for .clb files and see if you can find it. There may
      also be a .bak copy of the clips in the library folder. Not what you
      were asking, but figured I'd try to help.

      I am not the person to really say, but I think the idea is that NT 5
      improves some of the architecture of notetab including some bug fixes
      and the regex engine, etc, but does not improve the overall functional
      and features in a way huge way. Therefore they may decide not to charge
      us, or perhaps charge only a very minimal fee. What the architecture
      upgrade does however is create a platform on which the next update that
      does increase functionality and features. One of the things holding the
      program back (if you can say that about one of the most functional
      programs I have in my attack) is the old architecture. Hope that helps.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 23, 2006
        Hi Josh, John, Others...

        I realize that I posted in the past that there would probably be
        a free upgrade to version 5 of NoteTab. I based that on what Eric
        told me and what he believed at the time.

        However, due to a change in major plans about NoteTab and
        specifically a total rewrite of the program (probably not
        happening, at least for a long, long time) we are now probably
        going to charge an upgrade fee. I *may be* 50% of the new cost
        for new buyers, but we are unsure about any pricing at this time.

        V4 users have been receiving free upgrades for about 8-10 years
        now. The program has grown tremendously during that time. We
        could have easily been up to v7 by now charging 3 upgrade fees.

        The good news about v5 though is that Eric Fookes, the developer
        of NoteTab, has upgraded his code to Delphi 6 (?) which he uses
        to program NoteTab with. That means that he will be encouraged to
        do more programming using the same input control in NoteTab. (See
        NoteTab | Glossary for terms you do not understand.) He uses
        NoteTab a whole lot, so the program is not in the plans to to die
        at all; unthinkable as far as Fookes Software is concerned at
        this time.

        So, we will see more features coming, but unfortunately the
        highly requested customizable syntax highlighting will not come
        to be nor the better blocking tool for working with
        columns/blocks/fields of data anytime soon or maybe not at all. :(

        V5 already has a much further advanced Regular Expression engine
        (PCRE ?) for those that use RegExp. Some features will perhaps be
        added to v5 for its first release. It fixes a number of bugs
        including the compatibility with WinXP and user accounts, not
        being able to change settings and opening more than one file from
        Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and/or long file paths.

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 23, 2006
          Hello Josh, John, Others...

          This is a correction of a typo in the second paragraph below. It
          read, "I *may be* 50% of the new cost for new buyers, but we are
          unsure about any pricing at this time." The "I" should have been
          "It" and I corrected it below and directly below I made it say:

          It *may be* 50% of the new cost for new buyers, but we are
          unsure about any pricing at this time.

          >I realize that I posted in the past that there would probably be
          >a free upgrade to version 5 of NoteTab. I based that on what Eric
          >told me and what he believed at the time.
          >
          >However, due to a change in major plans about NoteTab and
          >specifically a total rewrite of the program (probably not
          >happening, at least for a long, long time) we are now probably
          >going to charge an upgrade fee. It *may be* 50% of the new cost
          >for new buyers, but we are unsure about any pricing at this time.
          >
          >V4 users have been receiving free upgrades for about 8-10 years
          >now. The program has grown tremendously during that time. We
          >could have easily been up to v7 by now charging 3 upgrade fees.
          >
          >The good news about v5 though is that Eric Fookes, the developer
          >of NoteTab, has upgraded his code to Delphi 6 (?) which he uses
          >to program NoteTab with. That means that he will be encouraged to
          >do more programming using the same input control in NoteTab. (See
          >NoteTab | Glossary for terms you do not understand.) He uses
          >NoteTab a whole lot, so the program is not in the plans to to die
          >at all; unthinkable as far as Fookes Software is concerned at
          >this time.
          >
          >So, we will see more features coming, but unfortunately the
          >highly requested customizable syntax highlighting will not come
          >to be nor the better blocking tool for working with
          >columns/blocks/fields of data anytime soon or maybe not at all. :(
          >
          >V5 already has a much further advanced Regular Expression engine
          >(PCRE) for those that use RegExp. Some features will perhaps be
          >added to v5 for its first release. It fixes a number of bugs
          >including the compatibility with WinXP and user accounts, not
          >being able to change settings and opening more than one file from
          >Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and/or long file paths.
          >
          >>On 5/9/06, John Zeman <john041650@...> wrote:
          >>> My personal opinion is I'd rather pay an upgrade fee for V5
          >>> just so I'd finally have some proof that I am a registered
          >>> user. It's been so long since I bought NoteTab V4 I have no
          >>> idea how I became a registered user originally. I know I paid
          >>> for it, but that's all I remember.
          >>>
          >>> John
          >>>
          >> Josh Simmons wrote:
          >> While I basically agree with this, I purchased Pro I can't even
          >> remember how long ago at version 4.9 something, and can't
          >> recall ever seeing an update, but this not a complaint. Note
          >> tab has made things allot easier for me in terms of
          >> organization of text files, and I use it for all my web coding
          >> (ASM for microcontrollers too, though I seem to have lost the
          >> clipbook I made). It has worked quite well for me, with only
          >> minor issues for such a full-featured editor, and I would have
          >> no complaints about paying an upgrade fee, but I'd still be
          >> quite happy to receive it free. :)

          All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
          description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

          The NoteTab Off-Topic List
          mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
        • Josh - CK
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
            On 6/23/06, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@...> wrote:
            > Look for the clip in libraries folder under your notetab file that is
            > probably in programs folder. Failing that, try a search of files on the
            > computer looking for .clb files and see if you can find it. There may
            > also be a .bak copy of the clips in the library folder. Not what you
            > were asking, but figured I'd try to help.
            > --

            'Lost' as in not moved from an old PC, not like it just disappeared on me, heh.

            Thanks anyway,
            Josh Simmons