Re: [NTO] .PPS does not open

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 10, 2006
      sometimes if it does that you hit "cancel" and it opens normally...

      ~~

      Jeffery Scism,
      USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
      NC/NE region

    • Edward
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 10, 2006
        Hi,Jeff,
        I know that trick, did not work, I could no way get past without a
        username and password.
        Ed

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 10, 2006
          OK trick #2, pull the button cell battery from the mother board , for
          about a minute, then put it back and restart.

          Edward wrote:

          > Hi,Jeff,
          > I know that trick, did not work, I could no way get past without a
          > username and password.
          > Ed
          >
          > Jeff Scism wrote:
          > >

          > > sometimes if it does that you hit "cancel" and it opens normally...
          > >
          > > ~~
          > >
          > > Jeffery Scism,
          > > USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
          > > NC/NE region

        • Edward
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 10, 2006
            Jeff,
            I don't know about that one, someone else told me that also and when I
            told a local computer repair person, the answer he gave was that it
            would not work, as that would only reset the password to the bios, but
            it sounds like you might be right as you are the second to suggest
            that.But anyhow too late, too late, I formated the hard drive and now it
            will not install any OS so far. I have tried now for 3 days. No luck. I
            did all the usual tricks there, and tried using the western digital DOS
            install but that gets up to a point on the install and repeats itself.
            So I am about read to get the hammer to this thing. I warned it and give
            it a little kick and now I am trying it again for the last time tonight.
            Edward

            Jeff wrote:

            > OK trick #2, pull the button cell battery from the mother board , for
            > about a minute, then put it back and restart.
            >
            > Edward wrote:
            >
            > > Hi,Jeff,
            > > I know that trick, did not work, I could no way get past without a
            > > username and password.
            > > Ed
            > >
            > > Jeff Scism wrote:
            > > >

            > > > sometimes if it does that you hit "cancel" and it opens normally...
            > > >
            > > > ~~
            > > >
            > > > Jeffery Scism,
            > > > USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
            > > > NC/NE region

          • Jeff Scism
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 10, 2006
              Did you use the Win Disc to partition it?

              ~~

              Edward wrote:

              > Jeff,
              > I don't know about that one, someone else told me that also and when I
              > told a local computer repair person, the answer he gave was that it
              > would not work, as that would only reset the password to the bios, but
              > it sounds like you might be right as you are the second to suggest
              > that.But anyhow too late, too late, I formated the hard drive and now it
              > will not install any OS so far. I have tried now for 3 days. No luck. I
              > did all the usual tricks there, and tried using the western digital DOS
              > install but that gets up to a point on the install and repeats itself.
              > So I am about read to get the hammer to this thing. I warned it and give
              > it a little kick and now I am trying it again for the last time tonight.
              > Edward
              >
              > Jeff wrote:
              > >

              > > OK trick #2, pull the button cell battery from the mother board , for
              > > about a minute, then put it back and restart.
              > >
              > > Edward wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hi,Jeff,
              > > > I know that trick, did not work, I could no way get past without a
              > > > username and password.
              > > > Ed

            • fw7oaks
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 10, 2006
                If Western Digital's DOS based 'low-level' format is repeating itself it
                has done its job and is waiting for an OS to partition and format the HD
                disk and install. Is the HD larger than that normally recognized by DOS ?
                (Around one or two Gigabytes - can't remember - this could be a problem).

                Does Windows 'see' the hard disk ? Or tell you there's nowhere to
                install?

                Have you tried installing Linux, some of their distributions are quite
                clever at finding HD's if that works, Windows is normally only too happy
                to overwrite a Linux partition.

                We're not at the hammer stage yet !

                fw

              • Ed
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 11, 2006
                  Jeff,
                  No, I do not know anything about Win Disc. I used the Western Digital DOS disk install program, as I have misplaced the CD that came with the HD. It is new, still in warranty as it is only about 6 months old. The message I that I finally get is: Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disc And Press Enter. And I think this maybe happening by what the Western Digital DOS install disk has done. It created a special film or something similar to place on the the disk so that you could extend it to the full capacity of the disk (200 gig), as it can only use 137,000 megabytes to start with. But whatever it is they put on the disk will allow you to use XP to extend it to its full capacity or add another partition (which is what I would like to do to have a place to store data) is causing the problem.

                  Everything will install up to the point you are told to restart the computer then it is suppose to come up and ask you to enter the Key Numbers. When it restarts then I get the little blue screen, and underneath it is says if you are using floppy disks to install the OS then hit the spacebar, if you are using a CD then hit C and a few seconds later it says hit the space bar. I do that and it says put the CD in the drive and hit the spacebar, I do that and it says put the CD in the CD drive and hit the spacebar, repeat, repeat then finally Disc Boot Failure, etc etc. I think it is failing to find the CD drive for some reason.

                  Right now I am starting an install of an old program W2K. I have the 4 floppies install program. I am sure it will work until I get to the point of rebooting to install the Key and start the real installation. If I re run the Western Digital DOS format and install when it gets to the point the little blue screen pops and says under it that if you are using floppys then hit the spacebar. If you are using a CD then hit C and in a couple of seconds it will tell you to hit the spacebar. I do that and it can never find the CD. I really am lost at this point.

                  I see that on W2K which is re partitioning the disk as XP did also. But it is a little smaller, only 131,000 megabytes and I am waiting for it to finish the partitioning to start this install after which I will have to format the disk so that it will be a new disk again for the Windows XP Home to install back on it. If ever I get to that point.
                  Ed
                  Ed

                  Edward wrote:

                  > Jeff,
                  > I don't know about that one, someone else told me that also and when I
                  > told a local computer repair person, the answer he gave was that it
                  > would not work, as that would only reset the password to the bios, but
                  > it sounds like you might be right as you are the second to suggest
                  > that.But anyhow too late, too late, I formated the hard drive and now it
                  > will not install any OS so far. I have tried now for 3 days. No luck. I
                  > did all the usual tricks there, and tried using the western digital DOS
                  > install but that gets up to a point on the install and repeats itself.
                  > So I am about read to get the hammer to this thing. I warned it and give
                  > it a little kick and now I am trying it again for the last time tonight.
                  > Edward
                  >
                  > Jeff wrote:
                  > >

                  > > OK trick #2, pull the button cell battery from the mother board , for
                  > > about a minute, then put it back and restart.
                  > >
                  > > Edward wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Hi,Jeff,
                  > > > I know that trick, did not work, I could no way get past without a
                  > > > username and password.
                  > > > Ed

                • Ed
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 11, 2006
                    See my reply to Jeff, yes that is the cause I think.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 11, 2006
                      The Win Disc is your Windows XP installation disc. Put it in and it
                      should partition the HD, and allow you to install an Op system.

                      ~~

                      Ed wrote:

                      > Jeff,
                      > No, I do not know anything about Win Disc. I used the Western Digital
                      > DOS disk install program, as I have misplaced the CD that came with
                      > the HD. It is new, still in warranty as it is only about 6 months old.
                      > The message I that I finally get is: Disk Boot Failure, Insert System
                      > Disc And Press Enter. And I think this maybe happening by what the
                      > Western Digital DOS install disk has done. It created a special film
                      > or something similar to place on the the disk so that you could extend
                      > it to the full capacity of the disk (200 gig), as it can only use
                      > 137,000 megabytes to start with. But whatever it is they put on the
                      > disk will allow you to use XP to extend it to its full capacity or add
                      > another partition (which is what I would like to do to have a place to
                      > store data) is causing the problem.
                      >
                      > Everything will install up to the point you are told to restart the
                      > computer then it is suppose to come up and ask you to enter the Key
                      > Numbers. When it restarts then I get the little blue screen, and
                      > underneath it is says if you are using floppy disks to install the OS
                      > then hit the spacebar, if you are using a CD then hit C and a few
                      > seconds later it says hit the space bar. I do that and it says put the
                      > CD in the drive and hit the spacebar, I do that and it says put the CD
                      > in the CD drive and hit the spacebar, repeat, repeat then finally Disc
                      > Boot Failure, etc etc. I think it is failing to find the CD drive for
                      > some reason.
                      >
                      > Right now I am starting an install of an old program W2K. I have the 4
                      > floppies install program. I am sure it will work until I get to the
                      > point of rebooting to install the Key and start the real installation.
                      > If I re run the Western Digital DOS format and install when it gets to
                      > the point the little blue screen pops and says under it that if you
                      > are using floppys then hit the spacebar. If you are using a CD then
                      > hit C and in a couple of seconds it will tell you to hit the spacebar.
                      > I do that and it can never find the CD. I really am lost at this point.
                      >
                      > I see that on W2K which is re partitioning the disk as XP did also.
                      > But it is a little smaller, only 131,000 megabytes and I am waiting
                      > for it to finish the partitioning to start this install after which I
                      > will have to format the disk so that it will be a new disk again for
                      > the Windows XP Home to install back on it. If ever I get to that point.
                      > Ed
                      > Ed

                    • Ed
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 11, 2006
                        Jeff,
                        OK, I did that previously and it did format the disk but it still would not go past the point where the installation shuts down and reboots and starts the final part of the installation. When it rebooted, Disk Boot Failure. I had the 6 floppy install disks for Windows XP Pro and started that way and it did start and ran for a long time and it did partition and format the hard drive giving me a partition of approx 137,000 megabytes. It started the install, running until it reached the point where it said it would shutdown and reboot to finish the installation. When it rebooted the install program never restarted instead when it should have restarted I got the famous screen that said: Disk Boot Failure, etc., etc. Does this have something to do with boot.ini?? I can no longer do this as the 4th floppy has now failed and that is the only way I could open XP or W2K. When W2K restarted this AM I got the Disc Boot failure, place the system disk in and hit enter. The end of every try is Disk Boot Failure.
                        Ed

                        Ed wrote:

                        > Jeff,
                        > No, I do not know anything about Win Disc. I used the Western Digital
                        > DOS disk install program, as I have misplaced the CD that came with
                        > the HD. It is new, still in warranty as it is only about 6 months old.
                        > The message I that I finally get is: Disk Boot Failure, Insert System
                        > Disc And Press Enter. And I think this maybe happening by what the
                        > Western Digital DOS install disk has done. It created a special film
                        > or something similar to place on the the disk so that you could extend
                        > it to the full capacity of the disk (200 gig), as it can only use
                        > 137,000 megabytes to start with. But whatever it is they put on the
                        > disk will allow you to use XP to extend it to its full capacity or add
                        > another partition (which is what I would like to do to have a place to
                        > store data) is causing the problem.
                        >
                        > Everything will install up to the point you are told to restart the
                        > computer then it is suppose to come up and ask you to enter the Key
                        > Numbers. When it restarts then I get the little blue screen, and
                        > underneath it is says if you are using floppy disks to install the OS
                        > then hit the spacebar, if you are using a CD then hit C and a few
                        > seconds later it says hit the space bar. I do that and it says put the
                        > CD in the drive and hit the spacebar, I do that and it says put the CD
                        > in the CD drive and hit the spacebar, repeat, repeat then finally Disc
                        > Boot Failure, etc etc. I think it is failing to find the CD drive for
                        > some reason.
                        >
                        > Right now I am starting an install of an old program W2K. I have the 4
                        > floppies install program. I am sure it will work until I get to the
                        > point of rebooting to install the Key and start the real installation.
                        > If I re run the Western Digital DOS format and install when it gets to
                        > the point the little blue screen pops and says under it that if you
                        > are using floppys then hit the spacebar. If you are using a CD then
                        > hit C and in a couple of seconds it will tell you to hit the spacebar.
                        > I do that and it can never find the CD. I really am lost at this point.
                        >
                        > I see that on W2K which is re partitioning the disk as XP did also.
                        > But it is a little smaller, only 131,000 megabytes and I am waiting
                        > for it to finish the partitioning to start this install after which I
                        > will have to format the disk so that it will be a new disk again for
                        > the Windows XP Home to install back on it. If ever I get to that point.
                        > Ed
                        > Ed

                      • Ed
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 11, 2006
                          Further information. This a two hard drive computer. HD 1 will, when hooked up, run just fine which eliminates I believe the motherboard as a problem. It is presently disconnected and I put HD 0 in, made it the only hard drive so I could set it up without any interference with the other drive. Next, I think I will make it a two HD system and put the pin in making this HD (HD 0) the master drive and HD 1 the Slave drive. And see if I can get anything going from there.
                          Ed

                          Ed wrote:

                          > Jeff,
                          > No, I do not know anything about Win Disc. I used the Western Digital
                          > DOS disk install program, as I have misplaced the CD that came with
                          > the HD. It is new, still in warranty as it is only about 6 months old.
                          > The message I that I finally get is: Disk Boot Failure, Insert System
                          > Disc And Press Enter. And I think this maybe happening by what the
                          > Western Digital DOS install disk has done. It created a special film
                          > or something similar to place on the the disk so that you could extend
                          > it to the full capacity of the disk (200 gig), as it can only use
                          > 137,000 megabytes to start with. But whatever it is they put on the
                          > disk will allow you to use XP to extend it to its full capacity or add
                          > another partition (which is what I would like to do to have a place to
                          > store data) is causing the problem.
                          >
                          > Everything will install up to the point you are told to restart the
                          > computer then it is suppose to come up and ask you to enter the Key
                          > Numbers. When it restarts then I get the little blue screen, and
                          > underneath it is says if you are using floppy disks to install the OS
                          > then hit the spacebar, if you are using a CD then hit C and a few
                          > seconds later it says hit the space bar. I do that and it says put the
                          > CD in the drive and hit the spacebar, I do that and it says put the CD
                          > in the CD drive and hit the spacebar, repeat, repeat then finally Disc
                          > Boot Failure, etc etc. I think it is failing to find the CD drive for
                          > some reason.
                          >
                          > Right now I am starting an install of an old program W2K. I have the 4
                          > floppies install program. I am sure it will work until I get to the
                          > point of rebooting to install the Key and start the real installation.
                          > If I re run the Western Digital DOS format and install when it gets to
                          > the point the little blue screen pops and says under it that if you
                          > are using floppys then hit the spacebar. If you are using a CD then
                          > hit C and in a couple of seconds it will tell you to hit the spacebar.
                          > I do that and it can never find the CD. I really am lost at this point.
                          >
                          > I see that on W2K which is re partitioning the disk as XP did also.
                          > But it is a little smaller, only 131,000 megabytes and I am waiting
                          > for it to finish the partitioning to start this install after which I
                          > will have to format the disk so that it will be a new disk again for
                          > the Windows XP Home to install back on it. If ever I get to that point.
                          > Ed
                          > Ed

                        • fw7oaks
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 11, 2006
                            Hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but I had this problem before
                            myself. CHECK that the hard drive cable is properly seated both ends !,
                            just one pins not making a proper contact can give this type of error and
                            yes boot.ini tells windows where to look.

                            Best of luck

                            fw

                          • dave
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 11, 2006
                              Hi Ed
                              I do not know whether you have an operating system or not ,if not I download
                              a small program ,I think from IBM called WIPE about 30k ,it will write
                              zero's to all your harddrive
                              i.e. your harddrive does not know what it is anymore.
                              then set your computer bios to boot CD and follow the prompt
                              when it gets to format your HD go half and QUICK other wize you can go and
                              have lunch
                              your choice for FAT32 or NTFS if you NTFS do not bother with dos.
                              THANKYOU DAVE M

                              > Further information. This a two hard drive computer. HD 1 will, when
                              > hooked up, run just fine which eliminates I believe the motherboard as a
                              > problem. It is presently disconnected and I put HD 0 in, made it the only
                              > hard drive so I could set it up without any interference with the other
                              > drive. Next, I think I will make it a two HD system and put the pin in
                              > making this HD (HD 0) the master drive and HD 1 the Slave drive. And see
                              > if I can get anything going from there.
                              > Ed

                            • John Mitchell
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 11, 2006
                                Ed

                                How old is your copy of XP Pro? The fact that you are working with floppy disks suggests it may not be bang up to date. You need at least SP1 to be able to successfully install to an unpartitioned big disk (See http://www.48bitlba.com/ for more info on this topic).

                                As a quick way around the problem you might consider using a partition manager such as BootitNG (See http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html) to split your big disk up into a target partition for your operating system and a separate data partition. I keep my operating system partition (C: drive) at 7.5GB and have never had a problem running out of space. Note, however, that if you do this you should move/remap your "My Documents" structure to your data partition and you should also change the system environment variables TEMP and TMP to point to your data partition rather than the default setting of %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp.

                                Regards, John M