Re: [NTO] Yahoo facelift

  • David Ash
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
      Lotta wrote:

      > Did you click the "See samples" link?
      > Neither New & Improved nor Traditional
      > looks like plain text . :-(
      >
      > <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_fullyfeatured.gif>
      > <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_traditional.gif>

      Yes, their labels are certainly confusing. But I can report that
      selecting "traditional" (or "fuddy-duddy" as they probably regard it)gets
      things back as they were, to simple plain text.

      BTW, while I was getting the "Hey Wow New & Improved!" format, the
      monitoring links led to "You Are Not A Moderator" messages.

      Distinct whiff of beta about this facelift.

      D+
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
        Well, I am using Thunderbird in plain text mode, so I would never see
        the change probably ... so as far as I know there is no difference in
        any event. The issue can be managed client side as well instead of
        relying on them it would seem to me.

        I have a great extension for view html so I can see "protected" html (ie
        sans counters and such) at the click of a button when I want to.

        FWIW

        Don

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
          Hi Don and Others,

          >Well, I am using Thunderbird in plain text mode, so I would never
          >see the change probably ... so as far as I know there is no
          >difference in any event.

          That may be true, but Thunderbird does not strip the html from
          the message before downloading does it? If not, then you still
          have upwards to 10KB just in footers that are new. Add that up
          per all the lists you are on (and I have to be on them all) plus
          others and your talking about a whole lot of unnecessary weight,
          especially if there's no high speed connection available like
          where I am out in the sticks. ;) (We just got off tin cans and a
          string a couple decades ago. <vbg>)

          And, just my 2 cents worth of personal opinion...
          Oh, that's not to mention just that much more clutter on the net
          bogging it down more. I realize it's all fiber for the most part,
          and yes, just a grain of sand on the beach in comparison, and all
          the downloads, and, and, and... but nevertheless... ;) To me,
          it's sort of like saying, well, this is a nice clean parkway with
          no trash on it, so no big deal if I through this piece of tissue
          out the window.

          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
            I think that it does NOT retrieve any images (which includes counters)
            unless you ask it to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
            html which is ... just text with mark-up and thus fairly light in
            bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason (in addition to virus avoidance) to
            get Thunderbird.

            http://mozilla.org and follow the links to the downloads.

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
              Hi Don,

              >I think that it does NOT retrieve any images (which includes
              >counters) unless you ask it to. So what it retrieves is only the
              >source of the html which is ... just text with mark-up and thus
              >fairly light in bandwidth Jody.

              On a 56KB connection a few hundred extra KB a number time a day
              is a lot of weight that is unnecessary for me to download taking
              up precious time and speed. Not wanting to argue about it (and my
              comments were not directed at Tbird personally, but all email
              programs), to each their own and just giving my reasons for HTML
              in email and not being able to shut of the download of it. If
              yahoogroups ever gets to forcing it on us, expect a list move
              elsewhere even if it only has email delivery with no archive
              storage.

              >http://mozilla.org and follow the links to the downloads.

              Sorry, but although I test Tbird a lot with Aid4Mail and MailBag,
              it hardly has near enough features that I must have. No doubt it
              is a good email program, but to each their own.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
                Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                > I think that [Thunderbird] does NOT retrieve any
                > images (which includes counters) unless you ask it
                > to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                > html which is... just text with mark-up and thus
                > fairly light in bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason
                > (in addition to virus avoidance) to get Thunderbird.

                Nor (to be fair) does Outlook Express retrieve image by default these
                days. Instead, your message is prefaced with: "Some pictures have been
                blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click
                here to download pictures."

                D+
              • dave
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 12, 2006
                  Hi
                  If your using Outlook Express you get what you said ,if you scroll down the
                  bottom I think there is three icon as well .
                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                  > I think that [Thunderbird] does NOT retrieve any
                  > images (which includes counters) unless you ask it
                  > to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                  > html which is... just text with mark-up and thus
                  > fairly light in bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason
                  > (in addition to virus avoidance) to get Thunderbird.

                  Nor (to be fair) does Outlook Express retrieve image by default these
                  days. Instead, your message is prefaced with: "Some pictures have been
                  blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click
                  here to download pictures."

                  D+

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 12, 2006
                    Jody wrote:
                    >On a 56KB connection a few hundred extra KB a number time a day
                    >is a lot of weight that is unnecessary for me to download taking
                    >up precious time and speed

                    Not to speak of that it kinda slows you down to have to read posts littered
                    with HTML code. That's what happens if no alternative text/plain massage is
                    sent, isn't it? Or does Thunderbird actually strip the HTML before
                    displaying the message? Even if it does, it can't imagine the resulting
                    formatting is pretty.