Re: [NTO] Yahoo facelift

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
      Good morning David and Jody,

      David wrote:
      >Seems you're right, Lotta ... I visited my Yahoo membership settings and
      >found my preferences had changed from "traditional" to "Fully Featured New
      >& Improved! ". Perhaps they randomly switched a percentage of subscribers
      >to help spread the word about their new & improved format with its

      I bet! But I think you were right, too. Did you click the "See samples"
      link? Neither New & Improved nor Traditional looks like plain text . :-(

      <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_fullyfeatured.gif>
      <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_traditional.gif>

      Lotta
    • David Ash
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
        Lotta wrote:

        > Did you click the "See samples" link?
        > Neither New & Improved nor Traditional
        > looks like plain text . :-(
        >
        > <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_fullyfeatured.gif>
        > <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_traditional.gif>

        Yes, their labels are certainly confusing. But I can report that
        selecting "traditional" (or "fuddy-duddy" as they probably regard it)gets
        things back as they were, to simple plain text.

        BTW, while I was getting the "Hey Wow New & Improved!" format, the
        monitoring links led to "You Are Not A Moderator" messages.

        Distinct whiff of beta about this facelift.

        D+
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
          Well, I am using Thunderbird in plain text mode, so I would never see
          the change probably ... so as far as I know there is no difference in
          any event. The issue can be managed client side as well instead of
          relying on them it would seem to me.

          I have a great extension for view html so I can see "protected" html (ie
          sans counters and such) at the click of a button when I want to.

          FWIW

          Don

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
            Hi Don and Others,

            >Well, I am using Thunderbird in plain text mode, so I would never
            >see the change probably ... so as far as I know there is no
            >difference in any event.

            That may be true, but Thunderbird does not strip the html from
            the message before downloading does it? If not, then you still
            have upwards to 10KB just in footers that are new. Add that up
            per all the lists you are on (and I have to be on them all) plus
            others and your talking about a whole lot of unnecessary weight,
            especially if there's no high speed connection available like
            where I am out in the sticks. ;) (We just got off tin cans and a
            string a couple decades ago. <vbg>)

            And, just my 2 cents worth of personal opinion...
            Oh, that's not to mention just that much more clutter on the net
            bogging it down more. I realize it's all fiber for the most part,
            and yes, just a grain of sand on the beach in comparison, and all
            the downloads, and, and, and... but nevertheless... ;) To me,
            it's sort of like saying, well, this is a nice clean parkway with
            no trash on it, so no big deal if I through this piece of tissue
            out the window.

            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
              I think that it does NOT retrieve any images (which includes counters)
              unless you ask it to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
              html which is ... just text with mark-up and thus fairly light in
              bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason (in addition to virus avoidance) to
              get Thunderbird.

              http://mozilla.org and follow the links to the downloads.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
                Hi Don,

                >I think that it does NOT retrieve any images (which includes
                >counters) unless you ask it to. So what it retrieves is only the
                >source of the html which is ... just text with mark-up and thus
                >fairly light in bandwidth Jody.

                On a 56KB connection a few hundred extra KB a number time a day
                is a lot of weight that is unnecessary for me to download taking
                up precious time and speed. Not wanting to argue about it (and my
                comments were not directed at Tbird personally, but all email
                programs), to each their own and just giving my reasons for HTML
                in email and not being able to shut of the download of it. If
                yahoogroups ever gets to forcing it on us, expect a list move
                elsewhere even if it only has email delivery with no archive
                storage.

                >http://mozilla.org and follow the links to the downloads.

                Sorry, but although I test Tbird a lot with Aid4Mail and MailBag,
                it hardly has near enough features that I must have. No doubt it
                is a good email program, but to each their own.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
                  Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                  > I think that [Thunderbird] does NOT retrieve any
                  > images (which includes counters) unless you ask it
                  > to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                  > html which is... just text with mark-up and thus
                  > fairly light in bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason
                  > (in addition to virus avoidance) to get Thunderbird.

                  Nor (to be fair) does Outlook Express retrieve image by default these
                  days. Instead, your message is prefaced with: "Some pictures have been
                  blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click
                  here to download pictures."

                  D+
                • dave
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 12, 2006
                    Hi
                    If your using Outlook Express you get what you said ,if you scroll down the
                    bottom I think there is three icon as well .
                    THANKYOU DAVE M

                    > I think that [Thunderbird] does NOT retrieve any
                    > images (which includes counters) unless you ask it
                    > to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                    > html which is... just text with mark-up and thus
                    > fairly light in bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason
                    > (in addition to virus avoidance) to get Thunderbird.

                    Nor (to be fair) does Outlook Express retrieve image by default these
                    days. Instead, your message is prefaced with: "Some pictures have been
                    blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click
                    here to download pictures."

                    D+

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 12, 2006
                      Jody wrote:
                      >On a 56KB connection a few hundred extra KB a number time a day
                      >is a lot of weight that is unnecessary for me to download taking
                      >up precious time and speed

                      Not to speak of that it kinda slows you down to have to read posts littered
                      with HTML code. That's what happens if no alternative text/plain massage is
                      sent, isn't it? Or does Thunderbird actually strip the HTML before
                      displaying the message? Even if it does, it can't imagine the resulting
                      formatting is pretty.