Re: [NTO] Yahoo facelift - Yikes - Change Settings to Traditional?

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
      Hi Lotta,

      I'm still getting plain text messages. If and when yahoogroups
      forces html on us, I'll be searching for a new mailing list
      provider. I would go without web only and archives before I can
      handle html. I have to use it on my support addresses, but
      personally, I'm with that crowd that says html belongs on the
      web, not in email! ;)

      Yikes! I happened to notice the email weight difference (which is
      why I despise html in email) and saw the new footers. First I
      went to the group settings and it all is the same. You change
      then in your personal settings (Edit Membership) at any group you
      are signed on to. Check the box for "Traditional" under "Message
      Preference." I hope that is all it takes to turn off the html
      footers.

      I'm off line for a while now and will try to check on it later.
      If the above action turns it off, I'll posy on the other 3 main
      lists. (I don't see "Plain Text" anymore.)

      >Eek! I assumed you meant the web archive. I accept HTML but I use
      >an old copy of Eudora. When I don't use IE as the reader (which I
      >can't because of incompatibilities with IE6), only some
      >formatting gets through. Colors and fonts and such. Full
      >website-like HTML emails, like this seems to be, are severely
      >broken. But I can tell you I still get the posts in plain text
      >and they look as they've always done. Maybe they are rolling it
      >out gradually?

      >I hope they'll still allow plain test. Maybe you are a victim of
      >the yahoo gremlin who changes people's setting for them now and
      >then. When that happened to me it took a while before I was back
      >on plain text. If this really can't be tuned off... JODY!!!
      >HELP!!!

      bcnu,
      jody

      I can only please one person a day.
      Today is obviously not your day.
      Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8D
      http://www.clean-funnies.com
      http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448 ;)
      http://www.sojourner.us/software
    • David Ash
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
        On Friday, June 09, 2006 at 10:23 PM loro (Lotta) wrote:

        > Hi David,
        > I hope they'll still allow plain test. Maybe you are
        > a victim of the yahoo gremlin who changes people's
        > setting for them now and then. When that happened to
        > me it took a while before I was back on plain text.
        > If this really can't be tuned off... JODY!!! HELP!!!
        >
        > Lotta

        Seems you're right, Lotta ... I visited my Yahoo membership settings and
        found my preferences had changed from "traditional" to "Fully Featured New
        & Improved! ". Perhaps they randomly switched a percentage of subscribers
        to help spread the word about their new & improved format with its
        Googlesque sponsored links.

        I hope I'm now "traditional" again. Will report if that's not so.

        D+

        -----
        Messages in this topic (4) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
        Messages | Files | Photos | Links

        You are receiving Individual Emails Change Delivery Settings
        Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe We Made
        Changes
        Your Yahoo! Groups email is all new.
        Learn More
        Share Feedback
        Recent Activity
        1New Members
        Visit Your Group
        Affiliate program software
        Construction software program
        Medical software program
        Accounting software program
        Estate program real software
        Software development program
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
          Good morning David and Jody,

          David wrote:
          >Seems you're right, Lotta ... I visited my Yahoo membership settings and
          >found my preferences had changed from "traditional" to "Fully Featured New
          >& Improved! ". Perhaps they randomly switched a percentage of subscribers
          >to help spread the word about their new & improved format with its

          I bet! But I think you were right, too. Did you click the "See samples"
          link? Neither New & Improved nor Traditional looks like plain text . :-(

          <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_fullyfeatured.gif>
          <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_traditional.gif>

          Lotta
        • David Ash
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
            Lotta wrote:

            > Did you click the "See samples" link?
            > Neither New & Improved nor Traditional
            > looks like plain text . :-(
            >
            > <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_fullyfeatured.gif>
            > <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_traditional.gif>

            Yes, their labels are certainly confusing. But I can report that
            selecting "traditional" (or "fuddy-duddy" as they probably regard it)gets
            things back as they were, to simple plain text.

            BTW, while I was getting the "Hey Wow New & Improved!" format, the
            monitoring links led to "You Are Not A Moderator" messages.

            Distinct whiff of beta about this facelift.

            D+
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
              Well, I am using Thunderbird in plain text mode, so I would never see
              the change probably ... so as far as I know there is no difference in
              any event. The issue can be managed client side as well instead of
              relying on them it would seem to me.

              I have a great extension for view html so I can see "protected" html (ie
              sans counters and such) at the click of a button when I want to.

              FWIW

              Don

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                Hi Don and Others,

                >Well, I am using Thunderbird in plain text mode, so I would never
                >see the change probably ... so as far as I know there is no
                >difference in any event.

                That may be true, but Thunderbird does not strip the html from
                the message before downloading does it? If not, then you still
                have upwards to 10KB just in footers that are new. Add that up
                per all the lists you are on (and I have to be on them all) plus
                others and your talking about a whole lot of unnecessary weight,
                especially if there's no high speed connection available like
                where I am out in the sticks. ;) (We just got off tin cans and a
                string a couple decades ago. <vbg>)

                And, just my 2 cents worth of personal opinion...
                Oh, that's not to mention just that much more clutter on the net
                bogging it down more. I realize it's all fiber for the most part,
                and yes, just a grain of sand on the beach in comparison, and all
                the downloads, and, and, and... but nevertheless... ;) To me,
                it's sort of like saying, well, this is a nice clean parkway with
                no trash on it, so no big deal if I through this piece of tissue
                out the window.

                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
              • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                  I think that it does NOT retrieve any images (which includes counters)
                  unless you ask it to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                  html which is ... just text with mark-up and thus fairly light in
                  bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason (in addition to virus avoidance) to
                  get Thunderbird.

                  http://mozilla.org and follow the links to the downloads.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
                    Hi Don,

                    >I think that it does NOT retrieve any images (which includes
                    >counters) unless you ask it to. So what it retrieves is only the
                    >source of the html which is ... just text with mark-up and thus
                    >fairly light in bandwidth Jody.

                    On a 56KB connection a few hundred extra KB a number time a day
                    is a lot of weight that is unnecessary for me to download taking
                    up precious time and speed. Not wanting to argue about it (and my
                    comments were not directed at Tbird personally, but all email
                    programs), to each their own and just giving my reasons for HTML
                    in email and not being able to shut of the download of it. If
                    yahoogroups ever gets to forcing it on us, expect a list move
                    elsewhere even if it only has email delivery with no archive
                    storage.

                    >http://mozilla.org and follow the links to the downloads.

                    Sorry, but although I test Tbird a lot with Aid4Mail and MailBag,
                    it hardly has near enough features that I must have. No doubt it
                    is a good email program, but to each their own.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
                      Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                      > I think that [Thunderbird] does NOT retrieve any
                      > images (which includes counters) unless you ask it
                      > to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                      > html which is... just text with mark-up and thus
                      > fairly light in bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason
                      > (in addition to virus avoidance) to get Thunderbird.

                      Nor (to be fair) does Outlook Express retrieve image by default these
                      days. Instead, your message is prefaced with: "Some pictures have been
                      blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click
                      here to download pictures."

                      D+
                    • dave
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 12, 2006
                        Hi
                        If your using Outlook Express you get what you said ,if you scroll down the
                        bottom I think there is three icon as well .
                        THANKYOU DAVE M

                        > I think that [Thunderbird] does NOT retrieve any
                        > images (which includes counters) unless you ask it
                        > to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                        > html which is... just text with mark-up and thus
                        > fairly light in bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason
                        > (in addition to virus avoidance) to get Thunderbird.

                        Nor (to be fair) does Outlook Express retrieve image by default these
                        days. Instead, your message is prefaced with: "Some pictures have been
                        blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click
                        here to download pictures."

                        D+

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 12, 2006
                          Jody wrote:
                          >On a 56KB connection a few hundred extra KB a number time a day
                          >is a lot of weight that is unnecessary for me to download taking
                          >up precious time and speed

                          Not to speak of that it kinda slows you down to have to read posts littered
                          with HTML code. That's what happens if no alternative text/plain massage is
                          sent, isn't it? Or does Thunderbird actually strip the HTML before
                          displaying the message? Even if it does, it can't imagine the resulting
                          formatting is pretty.