Re: [NTO] Yahoo facelift

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
      Well, I'm still seeing plain text as always. Nothing's changed here.

      sisterscape

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
        Hi Lotta,

        I'm still getting plain text messages. If and when yahoogroups
        forces html on us, I'll be searching for a new mailing list
        provider. I would go without web only and archives before I can
        handle html. I have to use it on my support addresses, but
        personally, I'm with that crowd that says html belongs on the
        web, not in email! ;)

        Yikes! I happened to notice the email weight difference (which is
        why I despise html in email) and saw the new footers. First I
        went to the group settings and it all is the same. You change
        then in your personal settings (Edit Membership) at any group you
        are signed on to. Check the box for "Traditional" under "Message
        Preference." I hope that is all it takes to turn off the html
        footers.

        I'm off line for a while now and will try to check on it later.
        If the above action turns it off, I'll posy on the other 3 main
        lists. (I don't see "Plain Text" anymore.)

        >Eek! I assumed you meant the web archive. I accept HTML but I use
        >an old copy of Eudora. When I don't use IE as the reader (which I
        >can't because of incompatibilities with IE6), only some
        >formatting gets through. Colors and fonts and such. Full
        >website-like HTML emails, like this seems to be, are severely
        >broken. But I can tell you I still get the posts in plain text
        >and they look as they've always done. Maybe they are rolling it
        >out gradually?

        >I hope they'll still allow plain test. Maybe you are a victim of
        >the yahoo gremlin who changes people's setting for them now and
        >then. When that happened to me it took a while before I was back
        >on plain text. If this really can't be tuned off... JODY!!!
        >HELP!!!

        bcnu,
        jody

        I can only please one person a day.
        Today is obviously not your day.
        Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8D
        http://www.clean-funnies.com
        http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448 ;)
        http://www.sojourner.us/software
      • David Ash
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
          On Friday, June 09, 2006 at 10:23 PM loro (Lotta) wrote:

          > Hi David,
          > I hope they'll still allow plain test. Maybe you are
          > a victim of the yahoo gremlin who changes people's
          > setting for them now and then. When that happened to
          > me it took a while before I was back on plain text.
          > If this really can't be tuned off... JODY!!! HELP!!!
          >
          > Lotta

          Seems you're right, Lotta ... I visited my Yahoo membership settings and
          found my preferences had changed from "traditional" to "Fully Featured New
          & Improved! ". Perhaps they randomly switched a percentage of subscribers
          to help spread the word about their new & improved format with its
          Googlesque sponsored links.

          I hope I'm now "traditional" again. Will report if that's not so.

          D+

          -----
          Messages in this topic (4) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
          Messages | Files | Photos | Links

          You are receiving Individual Emails Change Delivery Settings
          Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe We Made
          Changes
          Your Yahoo! Groups email is all new.
          Learn More
          Share Feedback
          Recent Activity
          1New Members
          Visit Your Group
          Affiliate program software
          Construction software program
          Medical software program
          Accounting software program
          Estate program real software
          Software development program
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
            Good morning David and Jody,

            David wrote:
            >Seems you're right, Lotta ... I visited my Yahoo membership settings and
            >found my preferences had changed from "traditional" to "Fully Featured New
            >& Improved! ". Perhaps they randomly switched a percentage of subscribers
            >to help spread the word about their new & improved format with its

            I bet! But I think you were right, too. Did you click the "See samples"
            link? Neither New & Improved nor Traditional looks like plain text . :-(

            <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_fullyfeatured.gif>
            <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_traditional.gif>

            Lotta
          • David Ash
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
              Lotta wrote:

              > Did you click the "See samples" link?
              > Neither New & Improved nor Traditional
              > looks like plain text . :-(
              >
              > <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_fullyfeatured.gif>
              > <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_traditional.gif>

              Yes, their labels are certainly confusing. But I can report that
              selecting "traditional" (or "fuddy-duddy" as they probably regard it)gets
              things back as they were, to simple plain text.

              BTW, while I was getting the "Hey Wow New & Improved!" format, the
              monitoring links led to "You Are Not A Moderator" messages.

              Distinct whiff of beta about this facelift.

              D+
            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                Well, I am using Thunderbird in plain text mode, so I would never see
                the change probably ... so as far as I know there is no difference in
                any event. The issue can be managed client side as well instead of
                relying on them it would seem to me.

                I have a great extension for view html so I can see "protected" html (ie
                sans counters and such) at the click of a button when I want to.

                FWIW

                Don

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                  Hi Don and Others,

                  >Well, I am using Thunderbird in plain text mode, so I would never
                  >see the change probably ... so as far as I know there is no
                  >difference in any event.

                  That may be true, but Thunderbird does not strip the html from
                  the message before downloading does it? If not, then you still
                  have upwards to 10KB just in footers that are new. Add that up
                  per all the lists you are on (and I have to be on them all) plus
                  others and your talking about a whole lot of unnecessary weight,
                  especially if there's no high speed connection available like
                  where I am out in the sticks. ;) (We just got off tin cans and a
                  string a couple decades ago. <vbg>)

                  And, just my 2 cents worth of personal opinion...
                  Oh, that's not to mention just that much more clutter on the net
                  bogging it down more. I realize it's all fiber for the most part,
                  and yes, just a grain of sand on the beach in comparison, and all
                  the downloads, and, and, and... but nevertheless... ;) To me,
                  it's sort of like saying, well, this is a nice clean parkway with
                  no trash on it, so no big deal if I through this piece of tissue
                  out the window.

                  http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                    I think that it does NOT retrieve any images (which includes counters)
                    unless you ask it to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                    html which is ... just text with mark-up and thus fairly light in
                    bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason (in addition to virus avoidance) to
                    get Thunderbird.

                    http://mozilla.org and follow the links to the downloads.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
                      Hi Don,

                      >I think that it does NOT retrieve any images (which includes
                      >counters) unless you ask it to. So what it retrieves is only the
                      >source of the html which is ... just text with mark-up and thus
                      >fairly light in bandwidth Jody.

                      On a 56KB connection a few hundred extra KB a number time a day
                      is a lot of weight that is unnecessary for me to download taking
                      up precious time and speed. Not wanting to argue about it (and my
                      comments were not directed at Tbird personally, but all email
                      programs), to each their own and just giving my reasons for HTML
                      in email and not being able to shut of the download of it. If
                      yahoogroups ever gets to forcing it on us, expect a list move
                      elsewhere even if it only has email delivery with no archive
                      storage.

                      >http://mozilla.org and follow the links to the downloads.

                      Sorry, but although I test Tbird a lot with Aid4Mail and MailBag,
                      it hardly has near enough features that I must have. No doubt it
                      is a good email program, but to each their own.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
                        Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                        > I think that [Thunderbird] does NOT retrieve any
                        > images (which includes counters) unless you ask it
                        > to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                        > html which is... just text with mark-up and thus
                        > fairly light in bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason
                        > (in addition to virus avoidance) to get Thunderbird.

                        Nor (to be fair) does Outlook Express retrieve image by default these
                        days. Instead, your message is prefaced with: "Some pictures have been
                        blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click
                        here to download pictures."

                        D+
                      • dave
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 12, 2006
                          Hi
                          If your using Outlook Express you get what you said ,if you scroll down the
                          bottom I think there is three icon as well .
                          THANKYOU DAVE M

                          > I think that [Thunderbird] does NOT retrieve any
                          > images (which includes counters) unless you ask it
                          > to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                          > html which is... just text with mark-up and thus
                          > fairly light in bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason
                          > (in addition to virus avoidance) to get Thunderbird.

                          Nor (to be fair) does Outlook Express retrieve image by default these
                          days. Instead, your message is prefaced with: "Some pictures have been
                          blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click
                          here to download pictures."

                          D+

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 12, 2006
                            Jody wrote:
                            >On a 56KB connection a few hundred extra KB a number time a day
                            >is a lot of weight that is unnecessary for me to download taking
                            >up precious time and speed

                            Not to speak of that it kinda slows you down to have to read posts littered
                            with HTML code. That's what happens if no alternative text/plain massage is
                            sent, isn't it? Or does Thunderbird actually strip the HTML before
                            displaying the message? Even if it does, it can't imagine the resulting
                            formatting is pretty.