Re: [NTO] Yahoo facelift

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
      Hi David,
      >Hi, Lotta. I get this list as individual e-mails. Until a couple of days
      >ago these were perfectly plain. Suddenly they've started to arrive in
      >glorious HTML, complete with blue side panels a la Google. To send this
      >reply I've manually converted back to plain text -- which has changed all
      >the sidepanel links to what you see beneath your signature below -- tons
      >of extra stuff which Yahoo say will make our use of this group "more
      >engaging than ever" and "this is just the beginning" ...

      >I assume you have your mail client set to receive in plain text only, but
      >you must still be seeing all the new headings?

      Eek! I assumed you meant the web archive. I accept HTML but I use an old
      copy of Eudora. When I don't use IE as the reader (which I can't because of
      incompatibilities with IE6), only some formatting gets through. Colors and
      fonts and such. Full website-like HTML emails, like this seems to be, are
      severely broken. But I can tell you I still get the posts in plain text and
      they look as they've always done. Maybe they are rolling it out gradually?

      I hope they'll still allow plain test. Maybe you are a victim of the yahoo
      gremlin who changes people's setting for them now and then. When that
      happened to me it took a while before I was back on plain text. If this
      really can't be tuned off... JODY!!! HELP!!!

      Lotta
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
        Well, I'm still seeing plain text as always. Nothing's changed here.

        sisterscape

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
          Hi Lotta,

          I'm still getting plain text messages. If and when yahoogroups
          forces html on us, I'll be searching for a new mailing list
          provider. I would go without web only and archives before I can
          handle html. I have to use it on my support addresses, but
          personally, I'm with that crowd that says html belongs on the
          web, not in email! ;)

          Yikes! I happened to notice the email weight difference (which is
          why I despise html in email) and saw the new footers. First I
          went to the group settings and it all is the same. You change
          then in your personal settings (Edit Membership) at any group you
          are signed on to. Check the box for "Traditional" under "Message
          Preference." I hope that is all it takes to turn off the html
          footers.

          I'm off line for a while now and will try to check on it later.
          If the above action turns it off, I'll posy on the other 3 main
          lists. (I don't see "Plain Text" anymore.)

          >Eek! I assumed you meant the web archive. I accept HTML but I use
          >an old copy of Eudora. When I don't use IE as the reader (which I
          >can't because of incompatibilities with IE6), only some
          >formatting gets through. Colors and fonts and such. Full
          >website-like HTML emails, like this seems to be, are severely
          >broken. But I can tell you I still get the posts in plain text
          >and they look as they've always done. Maybe they are rolling it
          >out gradually?

          >I hope they'll still allow plain test. Maybe you are a victim of
          >the yahoo gremlin who changes people's setting for them now and
          >then. When that happened to me it took a while before I was back
          >on plain text. If this really can't be tuned off... JODY!!!
          >HELP!!!

          bcnu,
          jody

          I can only please one person a day.
          Today is obviously not your day.
          Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8D
          http://www.clean-funnies.com
          http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448 ;)
          http://www.sojourner.us/software
        • David Ash
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
            On Friday, June 09, 2006 at 10:23 PM loro (Lotta) wrote:

            > Hi David,
            > I hope they'll still allow plain test. Maybe you are
            > a victim of the yahoo gremlin who changes people's
            > setting for them now and then. When that happened to
            > me it took a while before I was back on plain text.
            > If this really can't be tuned off... JODY!!! HELP!!!
            >
            > Lotta

            Seems you're right, Lotta ... I visited my Yahoo membership settings and
            found my preferences had changed from "traditional" to "Fully Featured New
            & Improved! ". Perhaps they randomly switched a percentage of subscribers
            to help spread the word about their new & improved format with its
            Googlesque sponsored links.

            I hope I'm now "traditional" again. Will report if that's not so.

            D+

            -----
            Messages in this topic (4) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
            Messages | Files | Photos | Links

            You are receiving Individual Emails Change Delivery Settings
            Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe We Made
            Changes
            Your Yahoo! Groups email is all new.
            Learn More
            Share Feedback
            Recent Activity
            1New Members
            Visit Your Group
            Affiliate program software
            Construction software program
            Medical software program
            Accounting software program
            Estate program real software
            Software development program
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
              Good morning David and Jody,

              David wrote:
              >Seems you're right, Lotta ... I visited my Yahoo membership settings and
              >found my preferences had changed from "traditional" to "Fully Featured New
              >& Improved! ". Perhaps they randomly switched a percentage of subscribers
              >to help spread the word about their new & improved format with its

              I bet! But I think you were right, too. Did you click the "See samples"
              link? Neither New & Improved nor Traditional looks like plain text . :-(

              <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_fullyfeatured.gif>
              <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_traditional.gif>

              Lotta
            • David Ash
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                Lotta wrote:

                > Did you click the "See samples" link?
                > Neither New & Improved nor Traditional
                > looks like plain text . :-(
                >
                > <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_fullyfeatured.gif>
                > <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_traditional.gif>

                Yes, their labels are certainly confusing. But I can report that
                selecting "traditional" (or "fuddy-duddy" as they probably regard it)gets
                things back as they were, to simple plain text.

                BTW, while I was getting the "Hey Wow New & Improved!" format, the
                monitoring links led to "You Are Not A Moderator" messages.

                Distinct whiff of beta about this facelift.

                D+
              • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                  Well, I am using Thunderbird in plain text mode, so I would never see
                  the change probably ... so as far as I know there is no difference in
                  any event. The issue can be managed client side as well instead of
                  relying on them it would seem to me.

                  I have a great extension for view html so I can see "protected" html (ie
                  sans counters and such) at the click of a button when I want to.

                  FWIW

                  Don

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                    Hi Don and Others,

                    >Well, I am using Thunderbird in plain text mode, so I would never
                    >see the change probably ... so as far as I know there is no
                    >difference in any event.

                    That may be true, but Thunderbird does not strip the html from
                    the message before downloading does it? If not, then you still
                    have upwards to 10KB just in footers that are new. Add that up
                    per all the lists you are on (and I have to be on them all) plus
                    others and your talking about a whole lot of unnecessary weight,
                    especially if there's no high speed connection available like
                    where I am out in the sticks. ;) (We just got off tin cans and a
                    string a couple decades ago. <vbg>)

                    And, just my 2 cents worth of personal opinion...
                    Oh, that's not to mention just that much more clutter on the net
                    bogging it down more. I realize it's all fiber for the most part,
                    and yes, just a grain of sand on the beach in comparison, and all
                    the downloads, and, and, and... but nevertheless... ;) To me,
                    it's sort of like saying, well, this is a nice clean parkway with
                    no trash on it, so no big deal if I through this piece of tissue
                    out the window.

                    http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                      I think that it does NOT retrieve any images (which includes counters)
                      unless you ask it to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                      html which is ... just text with mark-up and thus fairly light in
                      bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason (in addition to virus avoidance) to
                      get Thunderbird.

                      http://mozilla.org and follow the links to the downloads.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
                        Hi Don,

                        >I think that it does NOT retrieve any images (which includes
                        >counters) unless you ask it to. So what it retrieves is only the
                        >source of the html which is ... just text with mark-up and thus
                        >fairly light in bandwidth Jody.

                        On a 56KB connection a few hundred extra KB a number time a day
                        is a lot of weight that is unnecessary for me to download taking
                        up precious time and speed. Not wanting to argue about it (and my
                        comments were not directed at Tbird personally, but all email
                        programs), to each their own and just giving my reasons for HTML
                        in email and not being able to shut of the download of it. If
                        yahoogroups ever gets to forcing it on us, expect a list move
                        elsewhere even if it only has email delivery with no archive
                        storage.

                        >http://mozilla.org and follow the links to the downloads.

                        Sorry, but although I test Tbird a lot with Aid4Mail and MailBag,
                        it hardly has near enough features that I must have. No doubt it
                        is a good email program, but to each their own.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
                          Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                          > I think that [Thunderbird] does NOT retrieve any
                          > images (which includes counters) unless you ask it
                          > to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                          > html which is... just text with mark-up and thus
                          > fairly light in bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason
                          > (in addition to virus avoidance) to get Thunderbird.

                          Nor (to be fair) does Outlook Express retrieve image by default these
                          days. Instead, your message is prefaced with: "Some pictures have been
                          blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click
                          here to download pictures."

                          D+
                        • dave
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 12, 2006
                            Hi
                            If your using Outlook Express you get what you said ,if you scroll down the
                            bottom I think there is three icon as well .
                            THANKYOU DAVE M

                            > I think that [Thunderbird] does NOT retrieve any
                            > images (which includes counters) unless you ask it
                            > to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                            > html which is... just text with mark-up and thus
                            > fairly light in bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason
                            > (in addition to virus avoidance) to get Thunderbird.

                            Nor (to be fair) does Outlook Express retrieve image by default these
                            days. Instead, your message is prefaced with: "Some pictures have been
                            blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click
                            here to download pictures."

                            D+

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 12, 2006
                              Jody wrote:
                              >On a 56KB connection a few hundred extra KB a number time a day
                              >is a lot of weight that is unnecessary for me to download taking
                              >up precious time and speed

                              Not to speak of that it kinda slows you down to have to read posts littered
                              with HTML code. That's what happens if no alternative text/plain massage is
                              sent, isn't it? Or does Thunderbird actually strip the HTML before
                              displaying the message? Even if it does, it can't imagine the resulting
                              formatting is pretty.