Re: [NTO] Yahoo facelift

  • David Ash
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
      Hi, Lotta. I get this list as individual e-mails. Until a couple of days
      ago these were perfectly plain. Suddenly they've started to arrive in
      glorious HTML, complete with blue side panels a la Google. To send this
      reply I've manually converted back to plain text -- which has changed all
      the sidepanel links to what you see beneath your signature below -- tons
      of extra stuff which Yahoo say will make our use of this group "more
      engaging than ever" and "this is just the beginning" ...

      I assume you have your mail client set to receive in plain text only, but
      you must still be seeing all the new headings?

      D+

      >Looks like Mordechai's message is the first to appear in a new Yahoo
      >Groups style. Given that this is a plain-text list for the most part,
      >does the new style bring any benefits at all, or just more clutter?

      What is it? I don't see it. I seldom go there, that's probably why I miss
      it. I'm sure that once I spot it, I'll hate it!

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
        Hi David,
        >Hi, Lotta. I get this list as individual e-mails. Until a couple of days
        >ago these were perfectly plain. Suddenly they've started to arrive in
        >glorious HTML, complete with blue side panels a la Google. To send this
        >reply I've manually converted back to plain text -- which has changed all
        >the sidepanel links to what you see beneath your signature below -- tons
        >of extra stuff which Yahoo say will make our use of this group "more
        >engaging than ever" and "this is just the beginning" ...

        >I assume you have your mail client set to receive in plain text only, but
        >you must still be seeing all the new headings?

        Eek! I assumed you meant the web archive. I accept HTML but I use an old
        copy of Eudora. When I don't use IE as the reader (which I can't because of
        incompatibilities with IE6), only some formatting gets through. Colors and
        fonts and such. Full website-like HTML emails, like this seems to be, are
        severely broken. But I can tell you I still get the posts in plain text and
        they look as they've always done. Maybe they are rolling it out gradually?

        I hope they'll still allow plain test. Maybe you are a victim of the yahoo
        gremlin who changes people's setting for them now and then. When that
        happened to me it took a while before I was back on plain text. If this
        really can't be tuned off... JODY!!! HELP!!!

        Lotta
      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
          Well, I'm still seeing plain text as always. Nothing's changed here.

          sisterscape

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
            Hi Lotta,

            I'm still getting plain text messages. If and when yahoogroups
            forces html on us, I'll be searching for a new mailing list
            provider. I would go without web only and archives before I can
            handle html. I have to use it on my support addresses, but
            personally, I'm with that crowd that says html belongs on the
            web, not in email! ;)

            Yikes! I happened to notice the email weight difference (which is
            why I despise html in email) and saw the new footers. First I
            went to the group settings and it all is the same. You change
            then in your personal settings (Edit Membership) at any group you
            are signed on to. Check the box for "Traditional" under "Message
            Preference." I hope that is all it takes to turn off the html
            footers.

            I'm off line for a while now and will try to check on it later.
            If the above action turns it off, I'll posy on the other 3 main
            lists. (I don't see "Plain Text" anymore.)

            >Eek! I assumed you meant the web archive. I accept HTML but I use
            >an old copy of Eudora. When I don't use IE as the reader (which I
            >can't because of incompatibilities with IE6), only some
            >formatting gets through. Colors and fonts and such. Full
            >website-like HTML emails, like this seems to be, are severely
            >broken. But I can tell you I still get the posts in plain text
            >and they look as they've always done. Maybe they are rolling it
            >out gradually?

            >I hope they'll still allow plain test. Maybe you are a victim of
            >the yahoo gremlin who changes people's setting for them now and
            >then. When that happened to me it took a while before I was back
            >on plain text. If this really can't be tuned off... JODY!!!
            >HELP!!!

            bcnu,
            jody

            I can only please one person a day.
            Today is obviously not your day.
            Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8D
            http://www.clean-funnies.com
            http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448 ;)
            http://www.sojourner.us/software
          • David Ash
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
              On Friday, June 09, 2006 at 10:23 PM loro (Lotta) wrote:

              > Hi David,
              > I hope they'll still allow plain test. Maybe you are
              > a victim of the yahoo gremlin who changes people's
              > setting for them now and then. When that happened to
              > me it took a while before I was back on plain text.
              > If this really can't be tuned off... JODY!!! HELP!!!
              >
              > Lotta

              Seems you're right, Lotta ... I visited my Yahoo membership settings and
              found my preferences had changed from "traditional" to "Fully Featured New
              & Improved! ". Perhaps they randomly switched a percentage of subscribers
              to help spread the word about their new & improved format with its
              Googlesque sponsored links.

              I hope I'm now "traditional" again. Will report if that's not so.

              D+

              -----
              Messages in this topic (4) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
              Messages | Files | Photos | Links

              You are receiving Individual Emails Change Delivery Settings
              Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe We Made
              Changes
              Your Yahoo! Groups email is all new.
              Learn More
              Share Feedback
              Recent Activity
              1New Members
              Visit Your Group
              Affiliate program software
              Construction software program
              Medical software program
              Accounting software program
              Estate program real software
              Software development program
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
                Good morning David and Jody,

                David wrote:
                >Seems you're right, Lotta ... I visited my Yahoo membership settings and
                >found my preferences had changed from "traditional" to "Fully Featured New
                >& Improved! ". Perhaps they randomly switched a percentage of subscribers
                >to help spread the word about their new & improved format with its

                I bet! But I think you were right, too. Did you click the "See samples"
                link? Neither New & Improved nor Traditional looks like plain text . :-(

                <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_fullyfeatured.gif>
                <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_traditional.gif>

                Lotta
              • David Ash
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                  Lotta wrote:

                  > Did you click the "See samples" link?
                  > Neither New & Improved nor Traditional
                  > looks like plain text . :-(
                  >
                  > <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_fullyfeatured.gif>
                  > <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_traditional.gif>

                  Yes, their labels are certainly confusing. But I can report that
                  selecting "traditional" (or "fuddy-duddy" as they probably regard it)gets
                  things back as they were, to simple plain text.

                  BTW, while I was getting the "Hey Wow New & Improved!" format, the
                  monitoring links led to "You Are Not A Moderator" messages.

                  Distinct whiff of beta about this facelift.

                  D+
                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                    Well, I am using Thunderbird in plain text mode, so I would never see
                    the change probably ... so as far as I know there is no difference in
                    any event. The issue can be managed client side as well instead of
                    relying on them it would seem to me.

                    I have a great extension for view html so I can see "protected" html (ie
                    sans counters and such) at the click of a button when I want to.

                    FWIW

                    Don

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                      Hi Don and Others,

                      >Well, I am using Thunderbird in plain text mode, so I would never
                      >see the change probably ... so as far as I know there is no
                      >difference in any event.

                      That may be true, but Thunderbird does not strip the html from
                      the message before downloading does it? If not, then you still
                      have upwards to 10KB just in footers that are new. Add that up
                      per all the lists you are on (and I have to be on them all) plus
                      others and your talking about a whole lot of unnecessary weight,
                      especially if there's no high speed connection available like
                      where I am out in the sticks. ;) (We just got off tin cans and a
                      string a couple decades ago. <vbg>)

                      And, just my 2 cents worth of personal opinion...
                      Oh, that's not to mention just that much more clutter on the net
                      bogging it down more. I realize it's all fiber for the most part,
                      and yes, just a grain of sand on the beach in comparison, and all
                      the downloads, and, and, and... but nevertheless... ;) To me,
                      it's sort of like saying, well, this is a nice clean parkway with
                      no trash on it, so no big deal if I through this piece of tissue
                      out the window.

                      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                        I think that it does NOT retrieve any images (which includes counters)
                        unless you ask it to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                        html which is ... just text with mark-up and thus fairly light in
                        bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason (in addition to virus avoidance) to
                        get Thunderbird.

                        http://mozilla.org and follow the links to the downloads.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
                          Hi Don,

                          >I think that it does NOT retrieve any images (which includes
                          >counters) unless you ask it to. So what it retrieves is only the
                          >source of the html which is ... just text with mark-up and thus
                          >fairly light in bandwidth Jody.

                          On a 56KB connection a few hundred extra KB a number time a day
                          is a lot of weight that is unnecessary for me to download taking
                          up precious time and speed. Not wanting to argue about it (and my
                          comments were not directed at Tbird personally, but all email
                          programs), to each their own and just giving my reasons for HTML
                          in email and not being able to shut of the download of it. If
                          yahoogroups ever gets to forcing it on us, expect a list move
                          elsewhere even if it only has email delivery with no archive
                          storage.

                          >http://mozilla.org and follow the links to the downloads.

                          Sorry, but although I test Tbird a lot with Aid4Mail and MailBag,
                          it hardly has near enough features that I must have. No doubt it
                          is a good email program, but to each their own.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
                            Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                            > I think that [Thunderbird] does NOT retrieve any
                            > images (which includes counters) unless you ask it
                            > to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                            > html which is... just text with mark-up and thus
                            > fairly light in bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason
                            > (in addition to virus avoidance) to get Thunderbird.

                            Nor (to be fair) does Outlook Express retrieve image by default these
                            days. Instead, your message is prefaced with: "Some pictures have been
                            blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click
                            here to download pictures."

                            D+
                          • dave
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 12, 2006
                              Hi
                              If your using Outlook Express you get what you said ,if you scroll down the
                              bottom I think there is three icon as well .
                              THANKYOU DAVE M

                              > I think that [Thunderbird] does NOT retrieve any
                              > images (which includes counters) unless you ask it
                              > to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                              > html which is... just text with mark-up and thus
                              > fairly light in bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason
                              > (in addition to virus avoidance) to get Thunderbird.

                              Nor (to be fair) does Outlook Express retrieve image by default these
                              days. Instead, your message is prefaced with: "Some pictures have been
                              blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click
                              here to download pictures."

                              D+

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 12, 2006
                                Jody wrote:
                                >On a 56KB connection a few hundred extra KB a number time a day
                                >is a lot of weight that is unnecessary for me to download taking
                                >up precious time and speed

                                Not to speak of that it kinda slows you down to have to read posts littered
                                with HTML code. That's what happens if no alternative text/plain massage is
                                sent, isn't it? Or does Thunderbird actually strip the HTML before
                                displaying the message? Even if it does, it can't imagine the resulting
                                formatting is pretty.