Yahoo facelift

  • David Ash
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
      Looks like Mordechai's message is the first to appear in a new Yahoo
      Groups style. Given that this is a plain-text list for the most part,
      does the new style bring any benefits at all, or just more clutter?

      D+

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
        David Ash wrote:
        >Looks like Mordechai's message is the first to appear in a new Yahoo
        >Groups style. Given that this is a plain-text list for the most part,
        >does the new style bring any benefits at all, or just more clutter?

        What is it? I don't see it. I seldom go there, that's probably why I miss
        it. I'm sure that once I spot it, I'll hate it!

        Lotta
      • David Ash
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
          Hi, Lotta. I get this list as individual e-mails. Until a couple of days
          ago these were perfectly plain. Suddenly they've started to arrive in
          glorious HTML, complete with blue side panels a la Google. To send this
          reply I've manually converted back to plain text -- which has changed all
          the sidepanel links to what you see beneath your signature below -- tons
          of extra stuff which Yahoo say will make our use of this group "more
          engaging than ever" and "this is just the beginning" ...

          I assume you have your mail client set to receive in plain text only, but
          you must still be seeing all the new headings?

          D+

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
            Hi David,
            >Hi, Lotta. I get this list as individual e-mails. Until a couple of days
            >ago these were perfectly plain. Suddenly they've started to arrive in
            >glorious HTML, complete with blue side panels a la Google. To send this
            >reply I've manually converted back to plain text -- which has changed all
            >the sidepanel links to what you see beneath your signature below -- tons
            >of extra stuff which Yahoo say will make our use of this group "more
            >engaging than ever" and "this is just the beginning" ...

            >I assume you have your mail client set to receive in plain text only, but
            >you must still be seeing all the new headings?

            Eek! I assumed you meant the web archive. I accept HTML but I use an old
            copy of Eudora. When I don't use IE as the reader (which I can't because of
            incompatibilities with IE6), only some formatting gets through. Colors and
            fonts and such. Full website-like HTML emails, like this seems to be, are
            severely broken. But I can tell you I still get the posts in plain text and
            they look as they've always done. Maybe they are rolling it out gradually?

            I hope they'll still allow plain test. Maybe you are a victim of the yahoo
            gremlin who changes people's setting for them now and then. When that
            happened to me it took a while before I was back on plain text. If this
            really can't be tuned off... JODY!!! HELP!!!

            Lotta
          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
              Well, I'm still seeing plain text as always. Nothing's changed here.

              sisterscape

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
                Hi Lotta,

                I'm still getting plain text messages. If and when yahoogroups
                forces html on us, I'll be searching for a new mailing list
                provider. I would go without web only and archives before I can
                handle html. I have to use it on my support addresses, but
                personally, I'm with that crowd that says html belongs on the
                web, not in email! ;)

                Yikes! I happened to notice the email weight difference (which is
                why I despise html in email) and saw the new footers. First I
                went to the group settings and it all is the same. You change
                then in your personal settings (Edit Membership) at any group you
                are signed on to. Check the box for "Traditional" under "Message
                Preference." I hope that is all it takes to turn off the html
                footers.

                I'm off line for a while now and will try to check on it later.
                If the above action turns it off, I'll posy on the other 3 main
                lists. (I don't see "Plain Text" anymore.)

                >Eek! I assumed you meant the web archive. I accept HTML but I use
                >an old copy of Eudora. When I don't use IE as the reader (which I
                >can't because of incompatibilities with IE6), only some
                >formatting gets through. Colors and fonts and such. Full
                >website-like HTML emails, like this seems to be, are severely
                >broken. But I can tell you I still get the posts in plain text
                >and they look as they've always done. Maybe they are rolling it
                >out gradually?

                >I hope they'll still allow plain test. Maybe you are a victim of
                >the yahoo gremlin who changes people's setting for them now and
                >then. When that happened to me it took a while before I was back
                >on plain text. If this really can't be tuned off... JODY!!!
                >HELP!!!

                bcnu,
                jody

                I can only please one person a day.
                Today is obviously not your day.
                Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8D
                http://www.clean-funnies.com
                http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448 ;)
                http://www.sojourner.us/software
              • David Ash
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
                  On Friday, June 09, 2006 at 10:23 PM loro (Lotta) wrote:

                  > Hi David,
                  > I hope they'll still allow plain test. Maybe you are
                  > a victim of the yahoo gremlin who changes people's
                  > setting for them now and then. When that happened to
                  > me it took a while before I was back on plain text.
                  > If this really can't be tuned off... JODY!!! HELP!!!
                  >
                  > Lotta

                  Seems you're right, Lotta ... I visited my Yahoo membership settings and
                  found my preferences had changed from "traditional" to "Fully Featured New
                  & Improved! ". Perhaps they randomly switched a percentage of subscribers
                  to help spread the word about their new & improved format with its
                  Googlesque sponsored links.

                  I hope I'm now "traditional" again. Will report if that's not so.

                  D+

                  -----
                  Messages in this topic (4) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
                  Messages | Files | Photos | Links

                  You are receiving Individual Emails Change Delivery Settings
                  Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe We Made
                  Changes
                  Your Yahoo! Groups email is all new.
                  Learn More
                  Share Feedback
                  Recent Activity
                  1New Members
                  Visit Your Group
                  Affiliate program software
                  Construction software program
                  Medical software program
                  Accounting software program
                  Estate program real software
                  Software development program
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 9, 2006
                    Good morning David and Jody,

                    David wrote:
                    >Seems you're right, Lotta ... I visited my Yahoo membership settings and
                    >found my preferences had changed from "traditional" to "Fully Featured New
                    >& Improved! ". Perhaps they randomly switched a percentage of subscribers
                    >to help spread the word about their new & improved format with its

                    I bet! But I think you were right, too. Did you click the "See samples"
                    link? Neither New & Improved nor Traditional looks like plain text . :-(

                    <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_fullyfeatured.gif>
                    <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_traditional.gif>

                    Lotta
                  • David Ash
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                      Lotta wrote:

                      > Did you click the "See samples" link?
                      > Neither New & Improved nor Traditional
                      > looks like plain text . :-(
                      >
                      > <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_fullyfeatured.gif>
                      > <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/ui/img_traditional.gif>

                      Yes, their labels are certainly confusing. But I can report that
                      selecting "traditional" (or "fuddy-duddy" as they probably regard it)gets
                      things back as they were, to simple plain text.

                      BTW, while I was getting the "Hey Wow New & Improved!" format, the
                      monitoring links led to "You Are Not A Moderator" messages.

                      Distinct whiff of beta about this facelift.

                      D+
                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                        Well, I am using Thunderbird in plain text mode, so I would never see
                        the change probably ... so as far as I know there is no difference in
                        any event. The issue can be managed client side as well instead of
                        relying on them it would seem to me.

                        I have a great extension for view html so I can see "protected" html (ie
                        sans counters and such) at the click of a button when I want to.

                        FWIW

                        Don

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                          Hi Don and Others,

                          >Well, I am using Thunderbird in plain text mode, so I would never
                          >see the change probably ... so as far as I know there is no
                          >difference in any event.

                          That may be true, but Thunderbird does not strip the html from
                          the message before downloading does it? If not, then you still
                          have upwards to 10KB just in footers that are new. Add that up
                          per all the lists you are on (and I have to be on them all) plus
                          others and your talking about a whole lot of unnecessary weight,
                          especially if there's no high speed connection available like
                          where I am out in the sticks. ;) (We just got off tin cans and a
                          string a couple decades ago. <vbg>)

                          And, just my 2 cents worth of personal opinion...
                          Oh, that's not to mention just that much more clutter on the net
                          bogging it down more. I realize it's all fiber for the most part,
                          and yes, just a grain of sand on the beach in comparison, and all
                          the downloads, and, and, and... but nevertheless... ;) To me,
                          it's sort of like saying, well, this is a nice clean parkway with
                          no trash on it, so no big deal if I through this piece of tissue
                          out the window.

                          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 10, 2006
                            I think that it does NOT retrieve any images (which includes counters)
                            unless you ask it to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                            html which is ... just text with mark-up and thus fairly light in
                            bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason (in addition to virus avoidance) to
                            get Thunderbird.

                            http://mozilla.org and follow the links to the downloads.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
                              Hi Don,

                              >I think that it does NOT retrieve any images (which includes
                              >counters) unless you ask it to. So what it retrieves is only the
                              >source of the html which is ... just text with mark-up and thus
                              >fairly light in bandwidth Jody.

                              On a 56KB connection a few hundred extra KB a number time a day
                              is a lot of weight that is unnecessary for me to download taking
                              up precious time and speed. Not wanting to argue about it (and my
                              comments were not directed at Tbird personally, but all email
                              programs), to each their own and just giving my reasons for HTML
                              in email and not being able to shut of the download of it. If
                              yahoogroups ever gets to forcing it on us, expect a list move
                              elsewhere even if it only has email delivery with no archive
                              storage.

                              >http://mozilla.org and follow the links to the downloads.

                              Sorry, but although I test Tbird a lot with Aid4Mail and MailBag,
                              it hardly has near enough features that I must have. No doubt it
                              is a good email program, but to each their own.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 11, 2006
                                Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                                > I think that [Thunderbird] does NOT retrieve any
                                > images (which includes counters) unless you ask it
                                > to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                                > html which is... just text with mark-up and thus
                                > fairly light in bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason
                                > (in addition to virus avoidance) to get Thunderbird.

                                Nor (to be fair) does Outlook Express retrieve image by default these
                                days. Instead, your message is prefaced with: "Some pictures have been
                                blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click
                                here to download pictures."

                                D+
                              • dave
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 12, 2006
                                  Hi
                                  If your using Outlook Express you get what you said ,if you scroll down the
                                  bottom I think there is three icon as well .
                                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                                  > I think that [Thunderbird] does NOT retrieve any
                                  > images (which includes counters) unless you ask it
                                  > to. So what it retrieves is only the source of the
                                  > html which is... just text with mark-up and thus
                                  > fairly light in bandwidth Jody. Yet another reason
                                  > (in addition to virus avoidance) to get Thunderbird.

                                  Nor (to be fair) does Outlook Express retrieve image by default these
                                  days. Instead, your message is prefaced with: "Some pictures have been
                                  blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click
                                  here to download pictures."

                                  D+

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 12, 2006
                                    Jody wrote:
                                    >On a 56KB connection a few hundred extra KB a number time a day
                                    >is a lot of weight that is unnecessary for me to download taking
                                    >up precious time and speed

                                    Not to speak of that it kinda slows you down to have to read posts littered
                                    with HTML code. That's what happens if no alternative text/plain massage is
                                    sent, isn't it? Or does Thunderbird actually strip the HTML before
                                    displaying the message? Even if it does, it can't imagine the resulting
                                    formatting is pretty.