.PPS does not open

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2006
      When I try to open a power point slide show, I am told: "This file does not
      have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an
      association the the Folder Operating Control Panel.

      I went, I looked and I saw: it does have a program associated with it. The
      program associated with it is Power Point Viewer. To be positive, I said
      add and directed it to the power point viewer located in Microsoft Office.
      Yet it still tells me that I do not have a program associated with the file
      to be opened.

      I am using XP Home on an HP Pavilion with AMD Athlon 64 in a Notebook. 1 gig
      of memory. Where am I going wrong.
      Ed

      When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone,
      it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.
      -- Lewis Carroll
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 10, 2006
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <ebrown1927@...> wrote:

        > When I try to open a power point slide show, I am told: "This file
        does not
        > have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an
        > association the the Folder Operating Control Panel.
        >
        > I went, I looked and I saw: it does have a program associated with
        it. The
        > program associated with it is Power Point Viewer. To be positive, I
        said
        > add and directed it to the power point viewer located in Microsoft
        Office.
        > Yet it still tells me that I do not have a program associated with
        the file
        > to be opened.
        >
        > I am using XP Home on an HP Pavilion with AMD Athlon 64 in a
        Notebook. 1 gig
        > of memory. Where am I going wrong.
        > Ed

        Ed, Windows makes file associations a bit of a challenge at times. If
        I were you I'd delete the association you found for .pps files, then
        double click on a .pps file again. You should get the same prompt
        again. In that prompt navigate to powerpoint or the powerpoint viewer
        to add a new .pps file type and you should be good to go.

        John