computers-a mind of their own

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2006
      Need a little help here,
      I have two hard disks operating on one computer motherboard, one at a time
      of course. One has XP Pro and the other OS is Windows 2000 Pro. I do
      different things on them. There are times that I want to work on the other
      HD, so I shut one down go into the bios as it reboots and change which one
      opens first. Worked fine for two - three years everything every good. Last
      week I opened windows 2k pro and it asked for a username and password and I
      cannot get past it. I never had either before, it just opened when I booted
      it up. Both the motherboard has no wireless but it does have a connection
      to the modem so that it can get online. Now I do have a wireless modem but
      it has or had a very strong Password, long and numbers here and there. This
      computer has a wired connection to the modem. It is wireless because I have
      a notebook that I work one the den far from the computer area. The notebook
      is wireless. Can anyone get into the notebook without going through the
      modem, if so how do I protect it so people cannot get into it??

      Back to the main problem, how do I get into the W2k OS now that is password
      protected and I do not have the password. I can get into part of it of it
      through the XP hard drive. I went into the bios and changed password
      protect to no password, but it did not change anything. Any Ideas???
      Ed

      When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone,
      it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.
      -- Lewis Carroll
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2006
        I used to pull the disc battery on my mother board in Win 98. that
        kills the passwords.

        ~~

        Jeffery Scism,
        USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
        NC/NE region

        Ed wrote:

        >Need a little help here,
        >I have two hard disks operating on one computer motherboard, one at a time
        >of course. One has XP Pro and the other OS is Windows 2000 Pro. I do
        >different things on them. There are times that I want to work on the other
        >HD, so I shut one down go into the bios as it reboots and change which one
        >opens first. Worked fine for two - three years everything every good. Last
        >week I opened windows 2k pro and it asked for a username and password and I
        >cannot get past it. I never had either before, it just opened when I booted
        >it up. Both the motherboard has no wireless but it does have a connection
        >to the modem so that it can get online. Now I do have a wireless modem but
        >it has or had a very strong Password, long and numbers here and there. This
        >computer has a wired connection to the modem. It is wireless because I have
        >a notebook that I work one the den far from the computer area. The notebook
        >is wireless. Can anyone get into the notebook without going through the
        >modem, if so how do I protect it so people cannot get into it??
        >
        >Back to the main problem, how do I get into the W2k OS now that is password
        >protected and I do not have the password. I can get into part of it of it
        >through the XP hard drive. I went into the bios and changed password
        >protect to no password, but it did not change anything. Any Ideas???
        >Ed
        >

        >When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone,
        >it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.
        >-- Lewis Carroll
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • dave
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2006
          Hi
          I would think your notebook is relatively save and Go on the net and I have
          one called "linux password zero"
          A:\initrd.gz
          A:\ldlinux.sys
          A:\syslinux.cfg