Re: [NTO] Need some help, please

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 6 , May 27, 2006
      You are describing worm behavior, one that disables antivirus, and
      replaces your startup procedure with its own..

      Since you are running Norton, go to their website and run the on-line
      virus checker. (Bypassing your internal installation) Also run a couple
      of anti-malware programs, like Spybot.

      Restore your computer to an earlier restore point than the last current
      one before the shutdown. That restore point may have been attacked by
      the malware, if it is a malware.

      If you continue to have problems, get online with Symantec and let them
      assist you.

      ~~

      Jeffery Scism,
      USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
      NC/NE region

      Mordechai wrote:

      >Hello,
      >While being at my PC doing something (I am not quit sure but I think it was connected to the Internet), I clicked on some program's shortcut to start it, when suddenly I got an error message on the screen, it was so fast and sudden I even could not read it, and windows informed me it starts a shut-down sequence.
      >The shut-down was very quick (not the normal as I know it).
      >After some seconds I pressed the start button and the PC started its boot sequence, but something was wrong - some programs which has to start with the boot did not start.
      >This time I made a reboot and no better results(oh yes, it was my logon and my profil).
      >Now I made a "Restore" to the nearest restore point and everything was back to normal, to be sure, I made a new restore point myself.
      >After a while I had to make a reboot and again it was as described above, I restored to the new-made restore point but it was wrong again.
      >This time I started to reconfigure those programs which have to start with the reboot, the first one was the "Norton Antivirus" , the auto-protect was "off" (dont know why), I tried to change it to "on" but it refused to change.
      >I made a restore to the same point as above and again everything was normal.
      >Now I wonder why the new restore point (which I made while everything was OK), did not keep the normal situation, and in a day or two I am going to loose that "good" restore point.
      >I ran a virus check (very updated) and no findings.
      >All hardware, control-panel etc. is OK.
      >
      >OS is win xp pro+sp1.
      >
      >This is my story, any idea will be wellcome.
      >Thanks in advance.
      >Mordechai
      >airflow@...

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mordechai

        Message 3 of 6 , May 27, 2006
          Sounds like some spyware or malware. First run Spybot and AdAware.
          Then scan with HijackThis <http://www.hijackthis.de/> and post the file
          it generates on one of their forums. I've never had to do this but I've
          heard from others that they have gotten excellent advice by doing that.
          Good luck. sisterscape

          --- Mordechai <airflow@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          > While being at my PC doing something (I am not quit sure but I think
          > it was connected to the Internet), I clicked on some program's
          > shortcut to start it, when suddenly I got an error message on the
          > screen, it was so fast and sudden I even could not read it, and
          > windows informed me it starts a shut-down sequence.
          > The shut-down was very quick (not the normal as I know it).
          > After some seconds I pressed the start button and the PC started its
          > boot sequence, but something was wrong - some programs which has to
          > start with the boot did not start.
          > This time I made a reboot and no better results(oh yes, it was my
          > logon and my profil).
          > Now I made a "Restore" to the nearest restore point and everything
          > was back to normal, to be sure, I made a new restore point myself.
          > After a while I had to make a reboot and again it was as described
          > above, I restored to the new-made restore point but it was wrong
          > again.
          > This time I started to reconfigure those programs which have to start
          > with the reboot, the first one was the "Norton Antivirus" , the
          > auto-protect was "off" (dont know why), I tried to change it to "on"
          > but it refused to change.
          > I made a restore to the same point as above and again everything was
          > normal.
          > Now I wonder why the new restore point (which I made while everything
          > was OK), did not keep the normal situation, and in a day or two I am
          > going to loose that "good" restore point.
          > I ran a virus check (very updated) and no findings.
          > All hardware, control-panel etc. is OK.
          >
          > OS is win xp pro+sp1.
          >
          > This is my story, any idea will be wellcome.
          > Thanks in advance.
          > Mordechai
          > airflow@...

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Mordechai
          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2006
            Hello and thanks,
            Well, as Mr. Jeff Scism adviced on his answer, I ran an online virus chk,
            and after about 4.5 hours (three large disks) it reported 2 adware infected
            files, which by the way they 'sit' there for quit a while so I do not think
            they did it.
            Then I ran my "Webroot SpySweeper" no findings, and finaly I ran my
            Anti-Trojan - no findings.
            Now I'm going to download that "hijack" program and see what this will find
            (??).
            Funny, but I would be satisfied if there were findings, so there are tools
            to fight them, but right now as it looks, it will be more difficult and
            maybe I'll have to do some re-installations.
            Thanks again
            Mordechai

            > Sounds like some spyware or malware. First run Spybot and AdAware.
            > Then scan with HijackThis <http://www.hijackthis.de/> and post the file
            > it generates on one of their forums. I've never had to do this but I've
            > heard from others that they have gotten excellent advice by doing that.
            > Good luck. sisterscape
            >
            > --- Mordechai <airflow@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hello,
            > > While being at my PC doing something (I am not quit sure but I think
            > > it was connected to the Internet), I clicked on some program's
            > > shortcut to start it, when suddenly I got an error message on the
            > > screen, it was so fast and sudden I even could not read it, and
            > > windows informed me it starts a shut-down sequence.
            > > The shut-down was very quick (not the normal as I know it).
            > > After some seconds I pressed the start button and the PC started its
            > > boot sequence, but something was wrong - some programs which has to
            > > start with the boot did not start.
            > > This time I made a reboot and no better results(oh yes, it was my
            > > logon and my profil).
            > > Now I made a "Restore" to the nearest restore point and everything
            > > was back to normal, to be sure, I made a new restore point myself.
            > > After a while I had to make a reboot and again it was as described
            > > above, I restored to the new-made restore point but it was wrong
            > > again.
            > > This time I started to reconfigure those programs which have to start
            > > with the reboot, the first one was the "Norton Antivirus" , the
            > > auto-protect was "off" (dont know why), I tried to change it to "on"
            > > but it refused to change.
            > > I made a restore to the same point as above and again everything was
            > > normal.
            > > Now I wonder why the new restore point (which I made while everything
            > > was OK), did not keep the normal situation, and in a day or two I am
            > > going to loose that "good" restore point.
            > > I ran a virus check (very updated) and no findings.
            > > All hardware, control-panel etc. is OK.
            > >
            > > OS is win xp pro+sp1.
            > >
            > > This is my story, any idea will be wellcome.
            > > Thanks in advance.
            > > Mordechai
            > > airflow@...

          • Mordechai
            Message 5 of 6 , May 28, 2006
              Hello and thanks,
              Well, as you adviced on this answer, I ran an online virus chk, and after
              about 4.5 hours (three large disks) it reported 2 adware infected files,
              which by the way they 'sit' there for quit a while so I do not think they
              did it.
              Then I ran my "Webroot SpySweeper" no findings, and finaly I ran my
              Anti-Trojan - no findings.
              Now I'm going to download that "hijack" program as on sisterscape answer and

            • dave
              Message 6 of 6 , May 30, 2006
                Hi
                Have you tried deleteing the contents of the cookie folder and the temperory
                internet files and then doing a control/alt/delete ,you should see a list of
                whats running and see if there is anything you do not recognise.
                THANKYOU DAVE M