Re: [NTO] The not genuine message

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 30 , May 26, 2006
      Good for you mister and I wholeheartedly agree with your decision. Too
      often the 'little man' gets kicked in the crutch and no one gives a damn but
      you stick with it. If you bite hard enough sooner or later you'll draw
      blood even though it may not happen in my lifetime <<LoL>>

      Take care. Barry UK

      Message 2 of 30 , May 26, 2006
        Hello Alan,

        A> I'm with Win 2K. I decided not to and will not buy XP because I didn't want
        A> to risk my time having to phone Microsoft just so as to prove to them that I
        A> own something that I have already paid for and have a retail receipt for just
        A> because my motherboard or sufficient other hardware failed on me too early
        A> (prior to the 3 or so months before the slate gets wiped clean by Microsoft's
        A> database).

        Thanks for your answer. It wasn't me that decided that XP was on two of the
        machines (the P-B laptop and one desktop). For business I still use Win 2K.
        All computers (that are compatible) have a Xandros partition too.

        --
        Best Wishes,
        Mark
        Message 3 of 30 , May 26, 2006
          What ever happened to the customer is always right .... When MicroSoft came
          out they gave allot of software away and got my vote looks like the tables
          have changed ... buying a Computer online is getting harder to do also ... I
          bought a Z83V online 2 months ago and I am still trying to get everything I
          ordered. Oh Well ... it's a brave new world ... Teach them they are animals
          and then wonder why they act like ... Monkey's

          Bill
        • Mobile Estimator2
          Message 4 of 30 , May 26, 2006
            Good For You Jody .... Children need their faithers ...Bill
          • Alan_C
            Message 5 of 30 , May 26, 2006
              On Friday 26 May 2006 01:49, Mark Partous wrote:
              > Hello Alan,
              >
              > Thursday, May 25, 2006, 11:15:56 PM, you wrote:
              >
              > A> I'm with Win 2K. I decided not to and will not buy XP because I didn't
              > want A> to risk my time having to phone Microsoft just so as to prove to
              > them that I A> own something that I have already paid for and have a retail
              > receipt for just A> because my motherboard or sufficient other hardware
              > failed on me too early A> (prior to the 3 or so months before the slate
              > gets wiped clean by Microsoft's A> database).
              >
              > Thanks for your answer. It wasn't me that decided that XP was on two of the
              > machines (the P-B laptop and one desktop). For business I still use Win 2K.
              > All computers (that are compatible) have a Xandros partition too.

              Side note: If on a major name brand PC (Pack Bell, HP, Dell, etc.) any the
              hardware failed too soon it most likely be the dealer's warranty issue
              anyways therefore the end user would not experience time spent becoming
              involved with Microsoft.

              But I always build my own PC. (that's 1 reason why the Linux) (I've Win 2K on
              only 1 PC).

              Normally it (xp activate) *probably* would not be anything big enough to
              bother/concern over. But it's the principle of the possibility of my time
              becoming involved. And, just for me to *attempt* to prove to MS over the
              telephone that I own it and have the legal right to use it on thus_and_such
              hardware.

              MS has no way over the phone to discern whether someone being truthful or not
              about *significant and premature/early hardware failure*.
            • Alan_C
              Message 6 of 30 , May 26, 2006
                MS has no way over the phone to discern whether someone being truthful or not
                about *significant and premature/early hardware failure*

                Oop, I ment to cut that. Sorry.

                But if someone untruthful then the ms INTERNET database will snuff em due to
                two different hardware profiles on the one Xp.
              • Chris Dart
                Message 7 of 30 , May 29, 2006
                  We all like something for free if we can get it, but Jason and his colleagues put their time and effort into making the software and are entitled to be paid for it. The ones to swear at, it would seem, are the staff in the place where you bought it.

                  If I found someone stealing my property they would find I can be very ‘nasty’. In a manner of speaking, it would seem you have been stolen from, but you are cursing the wrong people!

                  Chris

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 30 , May 29, 2006
                    If you buy a stolen car – not knowing it to be stolen – but later the police or whoever catch up with it, you will find you have lost the car and your money and the only recourse is with the person who sold it to you. He will probably be in jail and you can whistle for your money. You have got a better deal from Microsoft, at least you get to keep what you bought, you just cannot update it.

                    Chris

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 30 , May 29, 2006
                      Hello Chris,

                      Monday, May 29, 2006, 9:23:03 AM, you wrote:

                      CD> If you buy a stolen car – not knowing it to be stolen – but later the
                      CD> police or whoever catch up with it, you will find you have lost the car
                      CD> and your money and the only recourse is with the person who sold it to you.

                      I don't know where you are from, but in most "working" legal systems, this is
                      simply NOT true. If the stolen car was sold to someone who, in good faith,
                      bought it, he has become the legitimate owner. It is the original owner who
                      has to try to recuperate from the thief and/or the fence.

                      Without such a construction it would become very hazardous to buy anything at
                      all. That (even though in this case it protects the seller)also was the idea
                      behind the (no longer existing) system of Eurocheque; cheques accompanied by
                      the EC-card were guaranteed to be paid by the bank (max. ± 175 €), even if
                      they turned out to be stolen. If this would not have been the case, no merchant,
                      right in his mind, would have accepted such a cheque as payment.

                      Your comparison is not accurate, since, in this case, it was not the computer
                      that was stolen, but the operating system obviously wasn't paid for. Now,
                      I wouldn't know where to find the "operating system" of a car? :-)

                      Which does not mean I do not understand your point of view. Actually in this
                      case, the buyer should have asked for a proof of the legitimacy of the
                      software...

                      --
                      Best Wishes,
                      Mark
                      Message 10 of 30 , May 29, 2006
                        "

                        If the stolen car was sold to someone who, in good faith,
                        bought it, he has become the legitimate owner.

                        "

                        Here the person in possession would be arrested, and the car would be
                        returned to the original owner from whom it was stolen. "possession of
                        stolen property" is a crime.

                        There have been cases where stolen items have been returned decades later.

                        With Software you are dealing with Intellectual property, and like a
                        copyright, it isn't a physical property, but a property of creativity.

                        The value determination is based on the USE of the property, and that is
                        why you license the software, rather than sell it as a outright sale.

                        Buying a book doesn't make it's contents yours, even though you own the
                        medium it is presented in, the "book". You do not have the right to copy
                        and resell the copies, but you can sell the ONE copy you bought.

                        Highjacking software takes the commercial value away from the creator
                        and puts it in the hands of the pirate.

                        You can't expect the creator to "service" the pirated copies, and you
                        can expect them to tell you that you have no license to use them, no
                        matter that you may think they were genuine when you bought them.

                        Caveat Emptor. It is the buyer's responsibility to assure he/she is
                        buying the genuine article, it is after all their money and their
                        decision to purchase. When you buy a pig in a poke, you end up with the
                        poke.

                        ~~

                        Jeffery Scism,
                        USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
                        NC/NE region

                      • prog@lomascentral.com
                        Message 11 of 30 , May 29, 2006
                          I'd regard the UK as a 'working' legal system and it's true here.

                          It's most often relevant in the case of stolen cars (simply because
                          they're most commonly stolen, sold on and found to be stolen) but it's
                          true for everything material.

                          You cannot be deprived of your ownership by theft.

                          Of course the discussion is about intellectual property rather than
                          material property.

                          Tim