Re: [NTO] Re: The not genuine message

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 13 , May 25, 2006
      In the old days of radio repair I would have said look for a cold solder joint on the board. Same in the early days of TV repair.
      Ed
      Message 2 of 13 , May 25, 2006
        P-B huh, Don't want to start any flame wars with the P-B devotees, but there
        are
        good reasons why this outfit is no longer making computers. I've known
        several
        P-B owners and everyone of them wanted to junk the things after only a few
        weeks.
        Most did after a few months as there was NO market for used P-B.

        > The same applies to my Packard-Bell (the operating system is delivered on
        > separate partition on the hard disk).

      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 13 , May 25, 2006
          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <ebrown1927@...> wrote:

          > In the old days of radio repair I would have said look for a cold
          solder joint on the board. Same in the early days of TV repair.
          > Ed

          Ed you just struck a chord in me. I grew up in the radio/TV repair
          environment, it was my dad's business which I later bought when he
          retired 25+ years ago. Since that time the business has evolved from
          cold solder joints and loose wire problems to computer problems. lol

          John
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 13 , May 25, 2006
            And now they are selling these instant hot/cold solder tools, and the
            first thought in my mind was "Cold Joint"- solder in order to form a
            solid connection must match the temperature of BOTH surfaces being
            joined, and that temp has to be higher than the solder melt point...

            I cant think of how many thousands of opportunities for a cold joint
            exist in machine soldered components...

            ~~

            Jeffery Scism,
            USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
            NC/NE region

            John Zeman wrote:

            >--- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <ebrown1927@...> wrote:
            >

            >>In the old days of radio repair I would have said look for a cold
            >>

            >solder joint on the board. Same in the early days of TV repair.
            >

            >>Ed
            >>

            >Ed you just struck a chord in me. I grew up in the radio/TV repair
            >environment, it was my dad's business which I later bought when he
            >retired 25+ years ago. Since that time the business has evolved from
            >cold solder joints and loose wire problems to computer problems. lol
            >
            >John
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • John Zeman
            Message 5 of 13 , May 25, 2006
              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@...> wrote:

              > And now they are selling these instant hot/cold solder tools, and the
              > first thought in my mind was "Cold Joint"- solder in order to form a
              > solid connection must match the temperature of BOTH surfaces being
              > joined, and that temp has to be higher than the solder melt point...
              >
              > I cant think of how many thousands of opportunities for a cold joint
              > exist in machine soldered components...
              >
              > ~~
              >
              > Jeffery Scism,
              > USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
              > NC/NE region

              Heh heh Jeff, you know you're practically inviting the definition of
              what a cold solder joint really is don't ya? And how cold solder
              joints are almost a thing of the past?

              First thing in the morning I'm heading off with Lotta for a 4 day mini
              vacation to the Apostle Islands and if by the time I get back anyone
              actually cares and if Ed hasn't answered it, then I'll bore everyone
              to tears as to what actually creates a cold solder joint.

              Lotta relax, call off your lawyers and unpack, I'm joking. :)

              John
            • Barry
              Message 6 of 13 , May 26, 2006
                Why anyone should still volunteer to use MS with so many problems being
                reported baffles me. Why not try a proven alternative? Ah well 'one man's
                meat is another man's poison!'

                Take care. Barry UK

                Message 7 of 13 , May 26, 2006
                  Well what is the proven alternative.

                  I've no doubt that this trader is very computer capable, and think what a difference it would
                  have been if he had kept to repairs and similar, but offered computer builds with say Linux in
                  and open source software, with the provisos about what is involved with them. I have long
                  wanted to change the operating system. I am not capable of installing Linux and still there is
                  limitation on software.

                  Sitting alongside this computer is a Windows 95 one, still running nicely eight years plus after
                  buying it, and doing a good job, but it has no USB ports and cannot run later software. But I
                  have what I use there and it does well enough. There should not be this demand to upgrade
                  all the time, which is simply a demand to pay more. Of course things improve, but when they
                  do then upgrade. The rate of updates is entirely unnecessary.

                  Adrian Worsfold

                  http://www.pluralist.co.uk
                • sisterscape
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 26, 2006
                    --- Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold <change@...> wrote:

                    I am not capable of installing
                    > Linux and still there is
                    > limitation on software.

                    Of course you could install Linux (though the first time you might get
                    sweaty palms and palpitations like I did). But even though I have
                    played with Linux and tested most distros, XP remains my OS of habit.
                    However, if MS bull**** gets draconian enough, I know I could make the
                    switch . . . especially since I'm not doing much web design these days.

                    As to your original situation . . . you are not alone. It can happen
                    to anyone. It did to my local computer store guy. He bought a machine
                    (server?) from a "friend" and started getting the "not genuine" message
                    after the update to catch it. He was pretty surprised and more than a
                    little ticked off to say the least. When I had my machine built, I
                    made sure that I got the disks and package with the original serial
                    number.

                    sisterscape

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 26, 2006
                      Now I have been in touch with Trading Standards and found out about the Sale of Goods Act
                      1979, but Trading Standards are taking the information, and I have contacted the shop where
                      this computer trader now collects and hands out computers (the information about him being
                      first time to the owner of the shop, and I said he may be hearing about this some more).

                      Adrian Worsfold

                      http://www.pluralist.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 26, 2006
                        John Zeman wrote:
                        >First thing in the morning I'm heading off with Lotta for a 4 day mini
                        >vacation to the Apostle Islands

                        John! You said that was going to be our little secret! :-o)

                        Lotta
                      • Chris Dart
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 29, 2006
                          Hi Mark,

                          You obviously know your subject but I am a little confused. When I used to live in England 20+ years ago I am certain that at least one acquaintance of mine bought a car in good faith – privately – which later turned out to be stolen. Since the insurance company had paid the original owner the car was now deemed to be the property of the insurance company, the duped new owner could only keep the car if he paid the insurance company.

                          A colleague of mine here, who used to work for a solicitor in UK, remembers this kind of situation too but believes the law changed at some point. Would this be where I am going wrong?

                          I remember the Eurocheque case and it is similar to the credit card case, but I would see these as a different situation, as you say, they would not function if the merchant did not have some kind of guarantee. The banks etc therefore make a guarantee agreement with the merchants.

                          I was of course referring to the operating system, but this in effect was stolen, though the person who had the trouble with it did not know that till later . .

                          regards

                          Chris

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 29, 2006
                            I don't know where you are from, but in most "working" legal systems, this is
                            simply NOT true. If the stolen car was sold to someone who, in good faith,
                            bought it, he has become the legitimate owner. It is the original owner who
                            has to try to recuperate from the thief and/or the fence.

                            Mark, in this country (USA), it is against the law to buy stolen goods. And if you innocently buy stolen property you may have to prove that you did not know it was stolen or pay a hefty fine and perhaps even go to jail and the police will take the item and return it to the rightful owner and you have lost your money and the item. And if I had been the original owner I would appreciate such a law. The goods are always mine even if they were stolen from me. They never, ever legally become the property of the buyer of stolen property. In this case Microsoft possibly could help the innocent buyer just to improve their public relations. Microsoft needs to do things that would improve the public relations of the company.

                            If the insurance paid the original owner the car now belongs to the insurance company.

                            Your comparison is not accurate, since, in this case, it was not the computer
                            that was stolen, but the operating system obviously wasn't paid for. Now,
                            I wouldn't know where to find the "operating system" of a car? :-)

                            The operating system is what carries you from one point to another within a program. The car carries you from one point to another within your area or country. The analogy is both are easily stolen and resold. The thief has stolen from two people, the one from which he took the goods and the money that you gave him for the goods, he, in fact stole from you and if the police find that the goods are stolen, then you will be left holding an empty bag :-(.

                            --
                            Best Wishes,
                            Mark

                            Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 29, 2006
                              Ed Brown wrote:

                              > The operating system is what carries you from one point to another within a program.

                              That's cute, somehow, but it makes no sense at all.

                              Bruce