Re: [NTO] v5 will be FREE to V4 users?

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 14 , May 9 12:19 PM
      My personal opinion is I'd rather pay an upgrade fee for V5 just so
      I'd finally have some proof that I am a registered user. It's been so
      long since I bought NoteTab V4 I have no idea how I became a
      registered user originally. I know I paid for it, but that's all I
      remember.

      John

      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Al (Alvaro) Guevara" <al@...> wrote:

      > NTP is a quality product. To not charge current v4 users a 50% off
      upgrade price is not good business sense. I'd gladly pay RETAIL, but
      expefct to pay 50% off as a v4 user.

      > You tell Eric that Jody.
      >
      > He is worth his hire. Irregardless of what the new version has or
      doesnt have. Put the info out on what the new ver has, and LET the
      buyer, ME, decide if he wants to pay Eric it.

      > Now, when was the last time you heard a customer saying PLEASE
      charge me?

      > This only happens when software is that good and trouble free...
      liked that much! I I use 5% of its features, Im not even a HARDCODE user.

      Message 2 of 14 , May 9 1:05 PM
        Hi Al,

        OK, I'll be sure to ask him to read this message in full. Thanks!

        Message 3 of 14 , May 9 1:09 PM
          Hi Lotta,

          >> >Al is quoting Jody saying it.
          >>
          >>I mentioned it in a message that was not about the upgrade fee,
          >>but one that mentioned NoteTab costing 10 bucks. V5 will be a
          >>free upgrade to *all registered* users,
          >
          >Sorry. I was a little snip-happy when I quoted. I didn't mean to imply that
          >you had said it would be free as in freeware. I meant, as you say, a free
          >upgrade.

          I never took you that way. I emphasized because of the time
          before I had said free for registered users of 4.95 which is free
          for all 4.0 users. I changed it to all registered users.

          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
        • Josh - CK
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 22, 2006
            On 5/9/06, John Zeman <john041650@...> wrote:
            > My personal opinion is I'd rather pay an upgrade fee for V5 just so
            > I'd finally have some proof that I am a registered user. It's been so
            > long since I bought NoteTab V4 I have no idea how I became a
            > registered user originally. I know I paid for it, but that's all I
            > remember.
            >
            > John

            While I basically agree with this, I purchased Pro I can't even
            remember how long ago at version 4.9 something, and can't recall ever
            seeing an update, but this not a complaint. Note tab has made things
            allot easier for me in terms of organization of text files, and I use
            it for all my web coding (ASM for microcontrollers too, though I seem
            to have lost the clipbook I made). It has worked quite well for me,
            with only minor issues for such a full-featured editor, and I would
            have no complaints about paying an upgrade fee, but I'd still be quite
            happy to receive it free.
            :)

            --
            Josh Simmons
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 23, 2006
              Look for the clip in libraries folder under your notetab file that is
              probably in programs folder. Failing that, try a search of files on the
              computer looking for .clb files and see if you can find it. There may
              also be a .bak copy of the clips in the library folder. Not what you
              were asking, but figured I'd try to help.

              I am not the person to really say, but I think the idea is that NT 5
              improves some of the architecture of notetab including some bug fixes
              and the regex engine, etc, but does not improve the overall functional
              and features in a way huge way. Therefore they may decide not to charge
              us, or perhaps charge only a very minimal fee. What the architecture
              upgrade does however is create a platform on which the next update that
              does increase functionality and features. One of the things holding the
              program back (if you can say that about one of the most functional
              programs I have in my attack) is the old architecture. Hope that helps.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 23, 2006
                Hi Josh, John, Others...

                I realize that I posted in the past that there would probably be
                a free upgrade to version 5 of NoteTab. I based that on what Eric
                told me and what he believed at the time.

                However, due to a change in major plans about NoteTab and
                specifically a total rewrite of the program (probably not
                happening, at least for a long, long time) we are now probably
                going to charge an upgrade fee. I *may be* 50% of the new cost
                for new buyers, but we are unsure about any pricing at this time.

                V4 users have been receiving free upgrades for about 8-10 years
                now. The program has grown tremendously during that time. We
                could have easily been up to v7 by now charging 3 upgrade fees.

                The good news about v5 though is that Eric Fookes, the developer
                of NoteTab, has upgraded his code to Delphi 6 (?) which he uses
                to program NoteTab with. That means that he will be encouraged to
                do more programming using the same input control in NoteTab. (See
                NoteTab | Glossary for terms you do not understand.) He uses
                NoteTab a whole lot, so the program is not in the plans to to die
                at all; unthinkable as far as Fookes Software is concerned at
                this time.

                So, we will see more features coming, but unfortunately the
                highly requested customizable syntax highlighting will not come
                to be nor the better blocking tool for working with
                columns/blocks/fields of data anytime soon or maybe not at all. :(

                V5 already has a much further advanced Regular Expression engine
                (PCRE ?) for those that use RegExp. Some features will perhaps be
                added to v5 for its first release. It fixes a number of bugs
                including the compatibility with WinXP and user accounts, not
                being able to change settings and opening more than one file from
                Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and/or long file paths.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 23, 2006
                  Hello Josh, John, Others...

                  This is a correction of a typo in the second paragraph below. It
                  read, "I *may be* 50% of the new cost for new buyers, but we are
                  unsure about any pricing at this time." The "I" should have been
                  "It" and I corrected it below and directly below I made it say:

                  It *may be* 50% of the new cost for new buyers, but we are
                  unsure about any pricing at this time.

                  >I realize that I posted in the past that there would probably be
                  >a free upgrade to version 5 of NoteTab. I based that on what Eric
                  >told me and what he believed at the time.
                  >
                  >However, due to a change in major plans about NoteTab and
                  >specifically a total rewrite of the program (probably not
                  >happening, at least for a long, long time) we are now probably
                  >going to charge an upgrade fee. It *may be* 50% of the new cost
                  >for new buyers, but we are unsure about any pricing at this time.
                  >
                  >V4 users have been receiving free upgrades for about 8-10 years
                  >now. The program has grown tremendously during that time. We
                  >could have easily been up to v7 by now charging 3 upgrade fees.
                  >
                  >The good news about v5 though is that Eric Fookes, the developer
                  >of NoteTab, has upgraded his code to Delphi 6 (?) which he uses
                  >to program NoteTab with. That means that he will be encouraged to
                  >do more programming using the same input control in NoteTab. (See
                  >NoteTab | Glossary for terms you do not understand.) He uses
                  >NoteTab a whole lot, so the program is not in the plans to to die
                  >at all; unthinkable as far as Fookes Software is concerned at
                  >this time.
                  >
                  >So, we will see more features coming, but unfortunately the
                  >highly requested customizable syntax highlighting will not come
                  >to be nor the better blocking tool for working with
                  >columns/blocks/fields of data anytime soon or maybe not at all. :(
                  >
                  >V5 already has a much further advanced Regular Expression engine
                  >(PCRE) for those that use RegExp. Some features will perhaps be
                  >added to v5 for its first release. It fixes a number of bugs
                  >including the compatibility with WinXP and user accounts, not
                  >being able to change settings and opening more than one file from
                  >Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and/or long file paths.
                  >
                  >>On 5/9/06, John Zeman <john041650@...> wrote:
                  >>> My personal opinion is I'd rather pay an upgrade fee for V5
                  >>> just so I'd finally have some proof that I am a registered
                  >>> user. It's been so long since I bought NoteTab V4 I have no
                  >>> idea how I became a registered user originally. I know I paid
                  >>> for it, but that's all I remember.
                  >>>
                  >>> John
                  >>>
                  >> Josh Simmons wrote:
                  >> While I basically agree with this, I purchased Pro I can't even
                  >> remember how long ago at version 4.9 something, and can't
                  >> recall ever seeing an update, but this not a complaint. Note
                  >> tab has made things allot easier for me in terms of
                  >> organization of text files, and I use it for all my web coding
                  >> (ASM for microcontrollers too, though I seem to have lost the
                  >> clipbook I made). It has worked quite well for me, with only
                  >> minor issues for such a full-featured editor, and I would have
                  >> no complaints about paying an upgrade fee, but I'd still be
                  >> quite happy to receive it free. :)

                  All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
                  description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
                  http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                  The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                  mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
                • Josh - CK
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
                    On 6/23/06, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@...> wrote:
                    > Look for the clip in libraries folder under your notetab file that is
                    > probably in programs folder. Failing that, try a search of files on the
                    > computer looking for .clb files and see if you can find it. There may
                    > also be a .bak copy of the clips in the library folder. Not what you
                    > were asking, but figured I'd try to help.
                    > --

                    'Lost' as in not moved from an old PC, not like it just disappeared on me, heh.

                    Thanks anyway,
                    Josh Simmons