Re: [NTO] v5 will be FREE to V4 users?

    Message 1 of 14 , May 9, 2006
      Jody wrote:
      > >Lotta wrote:
      > >Al is quoting Jody saying it.
      >
      >I mentioned it in a message that was not about the upgrade fee,
      >but one that mentioned NoteTab costing 10 bucks. V5 will be a
      >free upgrade to *all registered* users,

      Sorry. I was a little snip-happy when I quoted. I didn't mean to imply that
      you had said it would be free as in freeware. I meant, as you say, a free
      upgrade.

      Lotta
    • Al (Alvaro) Guevara
      Message 2 of 14 , May 9, 2006
        NTP is a quality product. To not charge current v4 users a 50% off upgrade price is not good business sense. I'd gladly pay RETAIL, but expefct to pay 50% off as a v4 user.

        You tell Eric that Jody.

        He is worth his hire. Irregardless of what the new version has or doesnt have. Put the info out on what the new ver has, and LET the buyer, ME, decide if he wants to pay Eric it.

        Now, when was the last time you heard a customer saying PLEASE charge me?

        This only happens when software is that good and trouble free... liked that much! I I use 5% of its features, Im not even a HARDCODE user.

        Al (Alvaro) Guevara * www.Tucson-WebDesign.com
        �^��-�����-��^��^��^��-�����-��^��^��^��-�����-��^�
        SEO: PayPerClick, Site optimization, Submission, Paid inclusion
        WEB: Webdesign, Hosting/E-mail/Webserver setup, Domains
        EBAY: One time Sales, eBay Store setup, eBay tutoring

        ***** REPLY SEPARATOR ***** REPLY SEPARATOR *****

        ***** END SEPARATOR ***** END SEPARATOR *****

      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 14 , May 9, 2006
          My personal opinion is I'd rather pay an upgrade fee for V5 just so
          I'd finally have some proof that I am a registered user. It's been so
          long since I bought NoteTab V4 I have no idea how I became a
          registered user originally. I know I paid for it, but that's all I
          remember.

          John

          Message 4 of 14 , May 9, 2006
            Hi Al,

            OK, I'll be sure to ask him to read this message in full. Thanks!

            Message 5 of 14 , May 9, 2006
              Hi Lotta,

              >> >Al is quoting Jody saying it.
              >>
              >>I mentioned it in a message that was not about the upgrade fee,
              >>but one that mentioned NoteTab costing 10 bucks. V5 will be a
              >>free upgrade to *all registered* users,
              >
              >Sorry. I was a little snip-happy when I quoted. I didn't mean to imply that
              >you had said it would be free as in freeware. I meant, as you say, a free
              >upgrade.

              I never took you that way. I emphasized because of the time
              before I had said free for registered users of 4.95 which is free
              for all 4.0 users. I changed it to all registered users.

              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
            • Josh - CK
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 22 11:59 PM
                On 5/9/06, John Zeman <john041650@...> wrote:
                > My personal opinion is I'd rather pay an upgrade fee for V5 just so
                > I'd finally have some proof that I am a registered user. It's been so
                > long since I bought NoteTab V4 I have no idea how I became a
                > registered user originally. I know I paid for it, but that's all I
                > remember.
                >
                > John

                While I basically agree with this, I purchased Pro I can't even
                remember how long ago at version 4.9 something, and can't recall ever
                seeing an update, but this not a complaint. Note tab has made things
                allot easier for me in terms of organization of text files, and I use
                it for all my web coding (ASM for microcontrollers too, though I seem
                to have lost the clipbook I made). It has worked quite well for me,
                with only minor issues for such a full-featured editor, and I would
                have no complaints about paying an upgrade fee, but I'd still be quite
                happy to receive it free.
                :)

                --
                Josh Simmons
              • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 23 6:30 AM
                  Look for the clip in libraries folder under your notetab file that is
                  probably in programs folder. Failing that, try a search of files on the
                  computer looking for .clb files and see if you can find it. There may
                  also be a .bak copy of the clips in the library folder. Not what you
                  were asking, but figured I'd try to help.

                  I am not the person to really say, but I think the idea is that NT 5
                  improves some of the architecture of notetab including some bug fixes
                  and the regex engine, etc, but does not improve the overall functional
                  and features in a way huge way. Therefore they may decide not to charge
                  us, or perhaps charge only a very minimal fee. What the architecture
                  upgrade does however is create a platform on which the next update that
                  does increase functionality and features. One of the things holding the
                  program back (if you can say that about one of the most functional
                  programs I have in my attack) is the old architecture. Hope that helps.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 23 11:32 AM
                    Hi Josh, John, Others...

                    I realize that I posted in the past that there would probably be
                    a free upgrade to version 5 of NoteTab. I based that on what Eric
                    told me and what he believed at the time.

                    However, due to a change in major plans about NoteTab and
                    specifically a total rewrite of the program (probably not
                    happening, at least for a long, long time) we are now probably
                    going to charge an upgrade fee. I *may be* 50% of the new cost
                    for new buyers, but we are unsure about any pricing at this time.

                    V4 users have been receiving free upgrades for about 8-10 years
                    now. The program has grown tremendously during that time. We
                    could have easily been up to v7 by now charging 3 upgrade fees.

                    The good news about v5 though is that Eric Fookes, the developer
                    of NoteTab, has upgraded his code to Delphi 6 (?) which he uses
                    to program NoteTab with. That means that he will be encouraged to
                    do more programming using the same input control in NoteTab. (See
                    NoteTab | Glossary for terms you do not understand.) He uses
                    NoteTab a whole lot, so the program is not in the plans to to die
                    at all; unthinkable as far as Fookes Software is concerned at
                    this time.

                    So, we will see more features coming, but unfortunately the
                    highly requested customizable syntax highlighting will not come
                    to be nor the better blocking tool for working with
                    columns/blocks/fields of data anytime soon or maybe not at all. :(

                    V5 already has a much further advanced Regular Expression engine
                    (PCRE ?) for those that use RegExp. Some features will perhaps be
                    added to v5 for its first release. It fixes a number of bugs
                    including the compatibility with WinXP and user accounts, not
                    being able to change settings and opening more than one file from
                    Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and/or long file paths.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 23 11:30 PM
                      Hello Josh, John, Others...

                      This is a correction of a typo in the second paragraph below. It
                      read, "I *may be* 50% of the new cost for new buyers, but we are
                      unsure about any pricing at this time." The "I" should have been
                      "It" and I corrected it below and directly below I made it say:

                      It *may be* 50% of the new cost for new buyers, but we are
                      unsure about any pricing at this time.

                      >I realize that I posted in the past that there would probably be
                      >a free upgrade to version 5 of NoteTab. I based that on what Eric
                      >told me and what he believed at the time.
                      >
                      >However, due to a change in major plans about NoteTab and
                      >specifically a total rewrite of the program (probably not
                      >happening, at least for a long, long time) we are now probably
                      >going to charge an upgrade fee. It *may be* 50% of the new cost
                      >for new buyers, but we are unsure about any pricing at this time.
                      >
                      >V4 users have been receiving free upgrades for about 8-10 years
                      >now. The program has grown tremendously during that time. We
                      >could have easily been up to v7 by now charging 3 upgrade fees.
                      >
                      >The good news about v5 though is that Eric Fookes, the developer
                      >of NoteTab, has upgraded his code to Delphi 6 (?) which he uses
                      >to program NoteTab with. That means that he will be encouraged to
                      >do more programming using the same input control in NoteTab. (See
                      >NoteTab | Glossary for terms you do not understand.) He uses
                      >NoteTab a whole lot, so the program is not in the plans to to die
                      >at all; unthinkable as far as Fookes Software is concerned at
                      >this time.
                      >
                      >So, we will see more features coming, but unfortunately the
                      >highly requested customizable syntax highlighting will not come
                      >to be nor the better blocking tool for working with
                      >columns/blocks/fields of data anytime soon or maybe not at all. :(
                      >
                      >V5 already has a much further advanced Regular Expression engine
                      >(PCRE) for those that use RegExp. Some features will perhaps be
                      >added to v5 for its first release. It fixes a number of bugs
                      >including the compatibility with WinXP and user accounts, not
                      >being able to change settings and opening more than one file from
                      >Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and/or long file paths.
                      >
                      >>On 5/9/06, John Zeman <john041650@...> wrote:
                      >>> My personal opinion is I'd rather pay an upgrade fee for V5
                      >>> just so I'd finally have some proof that I am a registered
                      >>> user. It's been so long since I bought NoteTab V4 I have no
                      >>> idea how I became a registered user originally. I know I paid
                      >>> for it, but that's all I remember.
                      >>>
                      >>> John
                      >>>
                      >> Josh Simmons wrote:
                      >> While I basically agree with this, I purchased Pro I can't even
                      >> remember how long ago at version 4.9 something, and can't
                      >> recall ever seeing an update, but this not a complaint. Note
                      >> tab has made things allot easier for me in terms of
                      >> organization of text files, and I use it for all my web coding
                      >> (ASM for microcontrollers too, though I seem to have lost the
                      >> clipbook I made). It has worked quite well for me, with only
                      >> minor issues for such a full-featured editor, and I would have
                      >> no complaints about paying an upgrade fee, but I'd still be
                      >> quite happy to receive it free. :)

                      All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
                      description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
                      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                      The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                      mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
                    • Josh - CK
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
                        On 6/23/06, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@...> wrote:
                        > Look for the clip in libraries folder under your notetab file that is
                        > probably in programs folder. Failing that, try a search of files on the
                        > computer looking for .clb files and see if you can find it. There may
                        > also be a .bak copy of the clips in the library folder. Not what you
                        > were asking, but figured I'd try to help.
                        > --

                        'Lost' as in not moved from an old PC, not like it just disappeared on me, heh.

                        Thanks anyway,
                        Josh Simmons