Re: [NTO] v5 will be FREE to V4 users?

    Message 1 of 14 , May 9, 2006
      Don wrote:
      >Al (Alvaro) Guevara wrote:
      > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      > > It is $9.95 for Std and $19.95 for Pro. The price will be going up when
      > v5 is released. It will be free upgrades for registered users of at least
      > v4.95 which is free for all users of v4.0 and higher. So, now is the time
      > to buy if you plan on buying in the near future. Sometimes it pays to be
      > on our discussion lists. ;)
      > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      >
      > > Jody, your saying v5 will be FREE to V4 users? Really? Why? Wouldnt
      > there be an Upgrade price?

      Probably because of what Jody said in another post:

      "No, we still do not have a guestimated release date for NoteTab
      5.0. [...] There will be some bug fixes and perhaps some easy to
      implement features. We hope to add treeview Outline some time
      after the initial release of 5.0. This will not be the total
      rewrite upgrade that is needed for better blocking, syntax
      highlighting. That will come in version 6."

      >I have never seen anybody say that v5 will be free to anybody.

      Al is quoting Jody saying it.

      Message 2 of 14 , May 9, 2006
        Hi Lotta and Others,

        > Don wrote:
        >>> Al (Alvaro) Guevara wrote:
        >>> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        >>> It is $9.95 for Std and $19.95 for Pro. The price will be
        >>> going up when v5 is released. It will be free upgrades for
        >>> registered users of at least v4.95 which is free for all
        >>> users of v4.0 and higher. So, now is the time to buy if you
        >>> plan on buying in the near future. Sometimes it pays to be
        >>> on our discussion lists. ;)
        >> > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        >>
        >>> Jody, your saying v5 will be FREE to V4 users? Really? Why?
        >>> Wouldnt there be an Upgrade price?
        >
        >Probably because of what Jody said in another post:
        >
        >"No, we still do not have a guestimated release date for NoteTab
        >5.0. [...] There will be some bug fixes and perhaps some easy to
        >implement features. We hope to add treeview Outline some time
        >after the initial release of 5.0. This will not be the total
        >rewrite upgrade that is needed for better blocking, syntax
        >highlighting. That will come in version 6."
        >
        >> I have never seen anybody say that v5 will be free to anybody.
        >
        >Lotta wrote:
        >Al is quoting Jody saying it.

        I mentioned it in a message that was not about the upgrade fee,
        but one that mentioned NoteTab costing 10 bucks. V5 will be a
        free upgrade to *all registered* users, but the cost for new
        buyers will definitely be going up. Eric has not decided on the
        amount yet. The reason there is not going to be an upgrade price,
        I suppose, is because it is not going to offer many new features
        at this time. It does address a number of bugs including the
        handling of quotes and some others. Its main purpose it to add
        the new Perl based regular expression engine, fix bugs that
        effect most users, add a few easy to add features, and upgrade
        the program's Delphi libraries (not Clipbook Libraries) from
        version 3 to version 7, or was that 4 to 7. <g>

        Anyway, upgrading it to version 7 will encourage Eric to program
        for v6 faster. V6 will to the total rewrite and use a new input
        control: the same for Pro and Std, so we will not see anymore
        font or paragraph size issues. (I seem to remember that Eric said
        he was going to increase the paragraph size for Pro - but..., I
        could be wrong.) There will definitely be an upgrade fee for v6.

        Personally, and I'm sure others would agree that even a minor
        upgrade should be charged for registered users. Obviously, Eric
        does not think so. *My guess* would be that because we all have
        waited so long for an upgrade, he would not feel right about
        charging customers for a fairly minor upgrade, although we've
        already been in test for nearly three months it seems. Updating
        program code is not something that customers see though as far as
        new features go. I'd think that most would feel that the bugs
        aren't that serious and that lots of new features is what they
        want to see.

        I only mention that "I guess" and "I suppose" about Eric from
        working for him for 10 years. Some things I'm usually right
        about, but not always. <g> Those are only my guesses though, so
        please don't take them as fact and post on another list. ;)

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
        Message 3 of 14 , May 9, 2006
          Jody wrote:
          > >Lotta wrote:
          > >Al is quoting Jody saying it.
          >
          >I mentioned it in a message that was not about the upgrade fee,
          >but one that mentioned NoteTab costing 10 bucks. V5 will be a
          >free upgrade to *all registered* users,

          Sorry. I was a little snip-happy when I quoted. I didn't mean to imply that
          you had said it would be free as in freeware. I meant, as you say, a free
          upgrade.

          Lotta
        • Al (Alvaro) Guevara
          Message 4 of 14 , May 9, 2006
            NTP is a quality product. To not charge current v4 users a 50% off upgrade price is not good business sense. I'd gladly pay RETAIL, but expefct to pay 50% off as a v4 user.

            You tell Eric that Jody.

            He is worth his hire. Irregardless of what the new version has or doesnt have. Put the info out on what the new ver has, and LET the buyer, ME, decide if he wants to pay Eric it.

            Now, when was the last time you heard a customer saying PLEASE charge me?

            This only happens when software is that good and trouble free... liked that much! I I use 5% of its features, Im not even a HARDCODE user.

            Al (Alvaro) Guevara * www.Tucson-WebDesign.com
            �^��-�����-��^��^��^��-�����-��^��^��^��-�����-��^�
            SEO: PayPerClick, Site optimization, Submission, Paid inclusion
            WEB: Webdesign, Hosting/E-mail/Webserver setup, Domains
            EBAY: One time Sales, eBay Store setup, eBay tutoring

            ***** REPLY SEPARATOR ***** REPLY SEPARATOR *****

            ***** END SEPARATOR ***** END SEPARATOR *****

          • John Zeman
            Message 5 of 14 , May 9, 2006
              My personal opinion is I'd rather pay an upgrade fee for V5 just so
              I'd finally have some proof that I am a registered user. It's been so
              long since I bought NoteTab V4 I have no idea how I became a
              registered user originally. I know I paid for it, but that's all I
              remember.

              John

              Message 6 of 14 , May 9, 2006
                Hi Al,

                OK, I'll be sure to ask him to read this message in full. Thanks!

                Message 7 of 14 , May 9, 2006
                  Hi Lotta,

                  >> >Al is quoting Jody saying it.
                  >>
                  >>I mentioned it in a message that was not about the upgrade fee,
                  >>but one that mentioned NoteTab costing 10 bucks. V5 will be a
                  >>free upgrade to *all registered* users,
                  >
                  >Sorry. I was a little snip-happy when I quoted. I didn't mean to imply that
                  >you had said it would be free as in freeware. I meant, as you say, a free
                  >upgrade.

                  I never took you that way. I emphasized because of the time
                  before I had said free for registered users of 4.95 which is free
                  for all 4.0 users. I changed it to all registered users.

                  http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                • Josh - CK
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 22, 2006
                    On 5/9/06, John Zeman <john041650@...> wrote:
                    > My personal opinion is I'd rather pay an upgrade fee for V5 just so
                    > I'd finally have some proof that I am a registered user. It's been so
                    > long since I bought NoteTab V4 I have no idea how I became a
                    > registered user originally. I know I paid for it, but that's all I
                    > remember.
                    >
                    > John

                    While I basically agree with this, I purchased Pro I can't even
                    remember how long ago at version 4.9 something, and can't recall ever
                    seeing an update, but this not a complaint. Note tab has made things
                    allot easier for me in terms of organization of text files, and I use
                    it for all my web coding (ASM for microcontrollers too, though I seem
                    to have lost the clipbook I made). It has worked quite well for me,
                    with only minor issues for such a full-featured editor, and I would
                    have no complaints about paying an upgrade fee, but I'd still be quite
                    happy to receive it free.
                    :)

                    --
                    Josh Simmons
                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 23, 2006
                      Look for the clip in libraries folder under your notetab file that is
                      probably in programs folder. Failing that, try a search of files on the
                      computer looking for .clb files and see if you can find it. There may
                      also be a .bak copy of the clips in the library folder. Not what you
                      were asking, but figured I'd try to help.

                      I am not the person to really say, but I think the idea is that NT 5
                      improves some of the architecture of notetab including some bug fixes
                      and the regex engine, etc, but does not improve the overall functional
                      and features in a way huge way. Therefore they may decide not to charge
                      us, or perhaps charge only a very minimal fee. What the architecture
                      upgrade does however is create a platform on which the next update that
                      does increase functionality and features. One of the things holding the
                      program back (if you can say that about one of the most functional
                      programs I have in my attack) is the old architecture. Hope that helps.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 23, 2006
                        Hi Josh, John, Others...

                        I realize that I posted in the past that there would probably be
                        a free upgrade to version 5 of NoteTab. I based that on what Eric
                        told me and what he believed at the time.

                        However, due to a change in major plans about NoteTab and
                        specifically a total rewrite of the program (probably not
                        happening, at least for a long, long time) we are now probably
                        going to charge an upgrade fee. I *may be* 50% of the new cost
                        for new buyers, but we are unsure about any pricing at this time.

                        V4 users have been receiving free upgrades for about 8-10 years
                        now. The program has grown tremendously during that time. We
                        could have easily been up to v7 by now charging 3 upgrade fees.

                        The good news about v5 though is that Eric Fookes, the developer
                        of NoteTab, has upgraded his code to Delphi 6 (?) which he uses
                        to program NoteTab with. That means that he will be encouraged to
                        do more programming using the same input control in NoteTab. (See
                        NoteTab | Glossary for terms you do not understand.) He uses
                        NoteTab a whole lot, so the program is not in the plans to to die
                        at all; unthinkable as far as Fookes Software is concerned at
                        this time.

                        So, we will see more features coming, but unfortunately the
                        highly requested customizable syntax highlighting will not come
                        to be nor the better blocking tool for working with
                        columns/blocks/fields of data anytime soon or maybe not at all. :(

                        V5 already has a much further advanced Regular Expression engine
                        (PCRE ?) for those that use RegExp. Some features will perhaps be
                        added to v5 for its first release. It fixes a number of bugs
                        including the compatibility with WinXP and user accounts, not
                        being able to change settings and opening more than one file from
                        Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and/or long file paths.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 23, 2006
                          Hello Josh, John, Others...

                          This is a correction of a typo in the second paragraph below. It
                          read, "I *may be* 50% of the new cost for new buyers, but we are
                          unsure about any pricing at this time." The "I" should have been
                          "It" and I corrected it below and directly below I made it say:

                          It *may be* 50% of the new cost for new buyers, but we are
                          unsure about any pricing at this time.

                          >I realize that I posted in the past that there would probably be
                          >a free upgrade to version 5 of NoteTab. I based that on what Eric
                          >told me and what he believed at the time.
                          >
                          >However, due to a change in major plans about NoteTab and
                          >specifically a total rewrite of the program (probably not
                          >happening, at least for a long, long time) we are now probably
                          >going to charge an upgrade fee. It *may be* 50% of the new cost
                          >for new buyers, but we are unsure about any pricing at this time.
                          >
                          >V4 users have been receiving free upgrades for about 8-10 years
                          >now. The program has grown tremendously during that time. We
                          >could have easily been up to v7 by now charging 3 upgrade fees.
                          >
                          >The good news about v5 though is that Eric Fookes, the developer
                          >of NoteTab, has upgraded his code to Delphi 6 (?) which he uses
                          >to program NoteTab with. That means that he will be encouraged to
                          >do more programming using the same input control in NoteTab. (See
                          >NoteTab | Glossary for terms you do not understand.) He uses
                          >NoteTab a whole lot, so the program is not in the plans to to die
                          >at all; unthinkable as far as Fookes Software is concerned at
                          >this time.
                          >
                          >So, we will see more features coming, but unfortunately the
                          >highly requested customizable syntax highlighting will not come
                          >to be nor the better blocking tool for working with
                          >columns/blocks/fields of data anytime soon or maybe not at all. :(
                          >
                          >V5 already has a much further advanced Regular Expression engine
                          >(PCRE) for those that use RegExp. Some features will perhaps be
                          >added to v5 for its first release. It fixes a number of bugs
                          >including the compatibility with WinXP and user accounts, not
                          >being able to change settings and opening more than one file from
                          >Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and/or long file paths.
                          >
                          >>On 5/9/06, John Zeman <john041650@...> wrote:
                          >>> My personal opinion is I'd rather pay an upgrade fee for V5
                          >>> just so I'd finally have some proof that I am a registered
                          >>> user. It's been so long since I bought NoteTab V4 I have no
                          >>> idea how I became a registered user originally. I know I paid
                          >>> for it, but that's all I remember.
                          >>>
                          >>> John
                          >>>
                          >> Josh Simmons wrote:
                          >> While I basically agree with this, I purchased Pro I can't even
                          >> remember how long ago at version 4.9 something, and can't
                          >> recall ever seeing an update, but this not a complaint. Note
                          >> tab has made things allot easier for me in terms of
                          >> organization of text files, and I use it for all my web coding
                          >> (ASM for microcontrollers too, though I seem to have lost the
                          >> clipbook I made). It has worked quite well for me, with only
                          >> minor issues for such a full-featured editor, and I would have
                          >> no complaints about paying an upgrade fee, but I'd still be
                          >> quite happy to receive it free. :)

                          All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
                          description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
                          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                          The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                          mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
                        • Josh - CK
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
                            On 6/23/06, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@...> wrote:
                            > Look for the clip in libraries folder under your notetab file that is
                            > probably in programs folder. Failing that, try a search of files on the
                            > computer looking for .clb files and see if you can find it. There may
                            > also be a .bak copy of the clips in the library folder. Not what you
                            > were asking, but figured I'd try to help.
                            > --

                            'Lost' as in not moved from an old PC, not like it just disappeared on me, heh.

                            Thanks anyway,
                            Josh Simmons