Looking for a Webpage Home?

  • Bill Scott
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 24, 2006
      Hi All:

      I am looking for a place for my two websites

      http://www.abibleverse4you.com

      and

      http://www.precision-seeding.com

      any recommendations appreciated. I have been hosting
      domain names and it just got to expensive. An accquintance
      suggested godaddy.com any input will be appreciated.

      Bill Scott
    • lm_hamilton
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 24, 2006
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Scott" <bscott022@...> wrote:

        > Hi All:
        >
        > I am looking for a place for my two websites
        >
        > http://www.abibleverse4you.com
        >
        > and
        >
        > http://www.precision-seeding.com
        >
        > any recommendations appreciated. I have been hosting
        > domain names and it just got to expensive. An accquintance
        > suggested godaddy.com any input will be appreciated.
        >
        > Bill Scott

        Bill,

        I use PowWeb. If you buy one year of hosting at a time, you get two
        free months. Right now, until the end of the month, they have a deal
        for buy one year, get one year for new customers.

        If you purchase it from the link on my website, lower right-hand
        corner of the page, it helps me out. They have domain name renewals
        for $15.00. If you do not already have a domain name, buying a year
        package includes a domain name.

        This include 20 GB disk space, unlimited email accounts, and many
        other benefits.

        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/

        Larry Hamilton
      • abairheart
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 24, 2006
          Take a look at www.networksolutions.com (.net?).

          They have some inexpensive alternatives, that belie their prestige.

          Abair.

          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Scott" <bscott022@...> wrote:

          > Hi All:
          >
          > I am looking for a place for my two websites
          >
          > http://www.abibleverse4you.com
          >
          > and
          >
          > http://www.precision-seeding.com
          >
          > any recommendations appreciated. I have been hosting
          > domain names and it just got to expensive. An accquintance
          > suggested godaddy.com any input will be appreciated.
          >
          > Bill Scott

        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 24, 2006
            OMG! Network Solutions is absolutely the WORST out there. Many years
            ago I started out with them but quickly got a clue. I use GoDaddy for
            domain registrations. I have been pleased with their customer service.
            Net Sol on the other hand . . . Can't speak to GoDaddy's hosting
            because I use a friend's service ($60 a year) but I bet they do a good
            job.

            --- abairheart <abairheart@...> wrote:

            > Take a look at www.networksolutions.com (.net?).
            >
            > They have some inexpensive alternatives, that belie their prestige.
            >

            > Abair.
            >

            > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Scott" <bscott022@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi All:
            > >
            > > I am looking for a place for my two websites
            > >
            > > http://www.abibleverse4you.com
            > >
            > > and
            > >
            > > http://www.precision-seeding.com
            > >
            > > any recommendations appreciated. I have been hosting
            > > domain names and it just got to expensive. An accquintance
            > > suggested godaddy.com any input will be appreciated.
            > >
            > > Bill Scott

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Barry
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 24, 2006
              Depends on how much space you want and if it's no more than 25Mb then there
              are a number of freebies out there. I have used beeb.net dial up account
              which includes 25Mb and also freeuk.co.uk which includes 10Mb

              Take care. Barry UK

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 24, 2006
                sisterscape wrote:
                >OMG! Network Solutions is absolutely the WORST out there.

                The infamous company that constantly tries to lock domains in and seriously
                though it was OK for them to hijack DNS a couple of years ago...
                <http://www.google.com/search?q=Network+Solutions+SUCKS>
                <http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/ietf/verisign-abuse.html>

                Lotta
              • yg@majorsmile.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 24, 2006
                  http://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/ is a little different from most
                  hosts, but it is worth taking a look at!

                  Karen

                  On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:19:39 +0100, Barry brightened my day with:
                  > Depends on how much space you want and if it's no more than 25Mb
                  > then there
                  >
                  > are a number of freebies out there. I have used beeb.net dial up
                  > account
                  > which includes 25Mb and also freeuk.co.uk which includes 10Mb
                  >
                  > Take care. Barry UK
                  >
                  >>> I am looking for a place for my two websites
                  >>>
                  >>> http://www.abibleverse4you.com
                  >>>
                  >>> and
                  >>>
                  >>> http://www.precision-seeding.com
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • RM
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 26, 2006
                    GO DADDY yes. This is the best service and price available. 5000 mb disk
                    space, 250000 mb bandwidth, 1000 free email accounts FOR $3.95 mo. I
                    have never had any problem with them.
                    Good Luck
                    Richard

                    Bill Scott wrote:
                    > Hi All:
                    >
                    > I am looking for a place for my two websites
                    >
                    > http://www.abibleverse4you.com
                    >
                    > and
                    >
                    > http://www.precision-seeding.com
                    >
                    > any recommendations appreciated. I have been hosting
                    > domain names and it just got to expensive. An accquintance
                    > suggested godaddy.com any input will be appreciated.
                    >
                    > Bill Scott
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Bill Scott
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 28, 2006
                      Larry: I use PowWeb.
                      Thanks Larry I am headed that way .... Do you know what they charge to park
                      inactive domain names .??

                      Network problem ..... I can share files with others on the network
                      (workgroup), I can surf the web, and I can get my email but when I try to go
                      from this computer and log into other members I get the following message
                      .... Workgroup is not excessible ... The network is not present or not
                      started .... I have started and stopped file sharing I have started and
                      stopped client for microsoft, I have moved the network card to a different
                      slot , I have replaced the network card and uninstalled the driver and
                      reinstalled it ....

                      baffled anyone .... have a suggestion .... ? Bill

                    • Larry Hamilton
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 28, 2006
                        Bill Scott wrote:
                        > Larry: I use PowWeb.
                        > Thanks Larry I am headed that way .... Do you know what they charge to park
                        > inactive domain names .??

                        Thanks!

                        I believe it is $15 to transfer a domain name to their registrar, plus
                        the usual $15 per year for domain name registration. If you have a lot
                        of time, left on an unused domain, you can, in most cases, leave it with
                        the current registrar. I would recommend that if it is less than $15 per
                        year for annual registration. It is possible to have your domain(s) with
                        one company and your hosting with another.
                        > Network problem ..... I can share files with others on the network
                        > (workgroup), I can surf the web, and I can get my email but when I try to go
                        > from this computer and log into other members I get the following message
                        > .... Workgroup is not excessible ... The network is not present or not
                        > started .... I have started and stopped file sharing I have started and
                        > stopped client for microsoft, I have moved the network card to a different
                        > slot , I have replaced the network card and uninstalled the driver and
                        > reinstalled it ....
                        >

                        > baffled anyone .... have a suggestion .... ? Bill
                        It may be that the work group or domain name on your PC is out of sync
                        with theirs.

                        You can right-click My Computer, left-click Properties, and depending on
                        your version of Windows the name of the tab with your computer name and
                        work group will be displayed. If your PC is not the same domain, or the
                        same work group with Active Directory, it can cause problems. I do not
                        know Active Directory, but have experience with network apps not
                        working right when it is set up wrong.

                        If you go to network neighborhood, you should be able to see the other
                        PCs on the network.

                        If you can see the other PCs, go to Start > Run type in "\\computername"
                        without the quotes. That will let you see any shared resource on that PC.

                        Make sure the other PCs have shared out the resources your are trying to
                        access. Also if they have set a list of authorized users, that your user
                        is on the list. They can also set the maximum number of connections.

                        Depending on how the PCs are connected, such as with a peer to peer
                        connection, both PCs may need to be rebooted.

                        It also depends on your version of Windows. Windows 9x can be a hassle
                        to get working at times. Win2K & XP are much simpler. If it is Windows
                        9x, it could take some time to run through all the troubleshooting.

                        Lastly, it is possible that a piece of hardware between the PCs has
                        failed, a cable or network card or router. Try using a different cable,
                        try plugging the cable into a different slot on the router, try swapping
                        network cards. I have seen lightning do weird things to network cards. I
                        have seen 5 times where lightning did enough damage that everything
                        except one network application that I support would not work. Replacing
                        the network card fixed it.

                        HTH,

                        --
                        Larry Hamilton
                        Kairos Computer Solutions
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 29, 2006
                          One of the best and least expensive I've come across is
                          http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ who are wholly owned by Pipex.

                          Take care. Barry UK

                        • bscott022@hughes.net
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 29, 2006

                            > baffled anyone .... have a suggestion .... ? Bill
                            It may be that the work group or domain name on your PC is out of sync
                            with theirs.
                            I suspect that is what has happened I just do know how to do that?? I am running win2kpro I can ping the ip address of both computers. I can do an ipconfig /all from both computers I can login to 192.168.1.100 (cleandisk) from 192.168.1.101(margie) BUT I cannot login the other way. I can see the shares from margie but when I try to go to that share it says "Workgroup is not accessible" The network is not present or is not started" How can that be if I can do everything but get to other computers on the network from Cleandisk ??? I can see Cleandisk from Margie and login to Cleandisk but I cannot login to Margie from Cleandisk .... arrrrg .... getting bald and I have alot of hair .... Bill

                          • Larry Hamilton
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 29, 2006
                              bscott022@... wrote:
                              >> baffled anyone .... have a suggestion .... ? Bill
                              >>
                              > It may be that the work group or domain name on your PC is out of sync
                              > with theirs.
                              > I suspect that is what has happened I just do know how to do that?? I am running win2kpro I can ping the ip address of both computers. I can do an ipconfig /all from both computers I can login to 192.168.1.100 (cleandisk) from 192.168.1.101(margie) BUT I cannot login the other way. I can see the shares from margie but when I try to go to that share it says "Workgroup is not accessible" The network is not present or is not started" How can that be if I can do everything but get to other computers on the network from Cleandisk ??? I can see Cleandisk from Margie and login to Cleandisk but I cannot login to Margie from Cleandisk .... arrrrg .... getting bald and I have alot of hair .... Bill
                              If both PCs are Win2K you can right-click My Computer, then left-click
                              Properties. I don't have Win2K available at the moment, so I do not know
                              the exact name of the tab that will have the PC name, workgroup, and
                              domain. You can check and make sure that both have the same workgroup
                              and domain name. You will need to be an administrator (maybe a power
                              user) on the PC that you want to change.

                              If both PCs do have the same workgroup and domain then there is another
                              problem.

                              Here are some troubleshooting questions:

                              - Is this a home network with just the two PCs?
                              - If more than two PCs, does this problem exist on all of them?
                              - How are they connected? i.e. ethernet cable only, or through a router?
                              - If through a router are all the lights on and green in the position
                              corresponding to each PC?
                              - If not, try powering off the router, if that does not help, try moving
                              the ethernet cable from a red position to a green. (Since you can ping
                              the IP address, this may not be it.)
                              - What OS on both PCs?
                              - Has anything changed on either PC? i.e. any new programs or hardware
                              or settings changes

                              One workaround to save some time of running from one PC to the other
                              checking settings would be to use some software to view one desktop from
                              the other. This may also minimize the need to get your signing in to the
                              other PC working.

                              I suggest the free VNC. The original VNC, RealVNC does not support
                              copying files, only the clipboard. The two I would recommend are either
                              TightVNC or UltraVNC. TightVNC works on a variety of OSes and has a
                              Windows version. UltraVNC is Windows only.

                              Here are their web sites:

                              http://www.tightvnc.com/
                              http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

                              There are two pieces to VNC a viewer and a server. The server must be
                              running on the PC you wish to access. You can set a password. The viewer
                              is used from the PC you want to use to view the other. In the viewer you
                              enter the IP address of the server with the VNC Server, if the viewer
                              finds it, it then asks for the password to the VNC Server.

                              You can set up the server on both PCs is you need to go to the other PC
                              and do not want to run back to the other one.

                              We use VNC in our office at my day job to keep from having to go back
                              and forth. We also have a lot of clients using it on their network.

                              VNC can also be used over the internet, but you have to know how to
                              configure your firewall to let someone else through.

                              HTH,

                              Larry Hamilton
                            • bscott022@hughes.net
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 30, 2006
                                hi Larry .... I can use tinyvnc to get to the other computer from the
                                problem computer .... but I cannot use network nieghborhood to logon to
                                the same computer from the problem computer .... network id is greyed
                                out and when I try to use "add a new connection" it cannot find the
                                workgroup ?? When I go to the "add a new connection" folder it says I
                                do not have permission to read the folder and I am logged in as
                                Adminstrator. Thanks for the link .... anything else come to mind ...
                                this one is a real knee slapper ?? Ma and Pa in Corning Ca.
                              • Larry Hamilton
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 30, 2006
                                  bscott022@... wrote:
                                  > hi Larry .... I can use tinyvnc to get to the other computer from the
                                  > problem computer .... but I cannot use network nieghborhood to logon to
                                  > the same computer from the problem computer .... network id is greyed
                                  > out and when I try to use "add a new connection" it cannot find the
                                  > workgroup ?? When I go to the "add a new connection" folder it says I
                                  > do not have permission to read the folder and I am logged in as
                                  > Adminstrator. Thanks for the link .... anything else come to mind ...
                                  > this one is a real knee slapper ?? Ma and Pa in Corning Ca.
                                  Bill,

                                  Let me ask around at the office tomorrow and see what suggestions we can
                                  come up with.

                                  Larry
                                • Larry Hamilton
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 1, 2006
                                    Bill,

                                    I just emailed your the rough draft of a PDF I put together.

                                    If it solves your problem, after I clean it up I will post it on my site and
                                    share the link here.

                                    Larry Hamilton
                                    Kairos Computer Solutions