Mouse wheel scroll

  • mapsonx
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 22, 2006
      I've been using NT 4.95 lite for quite a while.

      Just recently noticed that I have lost the ability in NTL to scroll with my Logitech optical moume wheel.

      No problem using the mouse wheel elsewhere.

      Win98se
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 23, 2006
        Hi mapsonx,

        >I've been using NT 4.95 lite for quite a while.
        >
        >Just recently noticed that I have lost the ability in NTL to
        >scroll with my Logitech optical moume wheel.
        >
        >No problem using the mouse wheel elsewhere.

        We have spent a lot of time discussing the issue in the beta
        (NoteTab v5) that we are testing. It is a per machine issue. Most
        likely it is working for you as it is suppose to. Do you get the
        main edit window to scroll? Is it the Clipbook and Quick List
        panes that do not scroll for you as before? (They have to have
        comp[lete focus to scroll. You need the Single Click to Execute
        unchecked in the Clipbook tan in Options so that you can give the
        Clipbook complete focus. Try it out in other panes in other
        programs as well.

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      • mapsonx
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 24, 2006
          Hi Jody

          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

          >Do you get the
          > main edit window to scroll? Is it the Clipbook and Quick List
          > panes that do not scroll for you as before? (They have to have
          > comp[lete focus to scroll. You need the Single Click to Execute
          > unchecked in the Clipbook tan in Options so that you can give the
          > Clipbook complete focus.

          Tried what you suggested, but there is only place in NTL where my mouse wheel has any effect.

          When I open the clipbook, manipulating the wheel moves the main (red) topics from one to the next, unless the drop down menu is enabled, whereupon the mouse wheel no longer has an effect.

          > Try it out in other panes in other programs as well.

          Not exactly sure what you mean about "other panes in other programs."

          Maybe I should have been clearer when I previously stated that "No problem using the mouse wheel elsewhere".

          I don't have this problem in other programs, including such text editors as the default windows Noterpad & Scintilla.

          My browser window wheel scrolls as it should, as well as this very area I'm typing in right now.

          > Most likely it is working for you as it is suppose to.

          All I can say is that it used to work in NTL, & now it doesn't.

          I'd sure like to know why.
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 24, 2006
            Hi mapsonx,

            >> Most likely it is working for you as it is suppose to.
            >
            >All I can say is that it used to work in NTL, & now it doesn't.
            >
            >I'd sure like to know why.

            I clicked on the Use Scroll Wheel in Tweak UI and then unchecked
            it, click OK, and closed the Windows. My wife's machine which was
            scrolling in a side pane (a window like thing like NoteTab's
            Clipbook are sometimes referred to as panes. Anyway, it know
            scrolls like other computers I tested on. My son's computer
            scrolls just by hovering. I dare to say if I did any tweaking
            having to do with a mouse, it would "break" it, or start running
            like it is suppose to. Presently it is broke, because all you
            have to so is hover the mouse pointer over any window pane and it
            scrolls. That is not normal operation. You were one of the lucky
            ones with a "broke" wheel mouse form a very long discussion we
            had. At least that is my two cents worth.

            Notepad only has the one edit window. Are you saying that it does
            not scroll in the main edit window/a tab/file/document? I'd
            reinstall Light if that is the case and maybe a new INI file.
          • mapsonx
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 25, 2006
              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:
              > You were one of the lucky
              > ones with a "broke" wheel mouse form a very long discussion we
              > had.

              I'm not sure what you mean by "lucky".

              I assume you mean that my mouse wheel is only "broken" within NTL, still works as expected everywhere else, & does not misbehave by scrolling when hovering the cursor over a window pane.

              > My son's computer scrolls just by hovering.
              > all you have to so is hover the mouse pointer over any window pane and it
              > scrolls.

              Just curious. Are you saying your only have this "hovering" problem in NoteTab & not other programs? By any chance did you test that machine using another mouse & get the same results?

              > Notepad only has the one edit window. Are you saying that it does
              > not scroll in the main edit window/a tab/file/document?

              I've tested my mouse wheel in all areas I could access in NoteTab, & the only effect the wheel had at all was as I described earlier.

              When the clipbook is opened, & the "search" field that resides above the clipbook index list is "focused", revolving the mouse wheel causes the main subject headings in that "search" field to jump from one to the next.

              If the "focus" is then transferred to the main body of the clipbook window pane, it has no effect there whatsoever.

              The mouse wheel has no effect in the main edit window, the clipbook window, or anywhere else in NoteTab other than what was previously mentioned.

              >I'd reinstall Light if that is the case and maybe a new INI file.

              Tried that twice before posting here. Even with a new, untouched INI the results are the same.

              > We have spent a lot of time discussing the issue in the beta
              > (NoteTab v5) that we are testing.

              Can you provide a link to the discussion. Can I get a copy of v5 to test?
            • Alec Burgess(g)
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 25, 2006
                Mapsonx:
                Katmouse http://ehiti.sdf-eu.org/katmouse/ is a freeware program that helps
                with mouse-scrolling. Give it a try. I know Jody has used it with some
                success with Notetab. With my own usage it made mouse-scrolling possible in
                all Ntb panes except for the clip window. (I also use the TweakUI-Mouse
                option which activates the window over which the mouse is currently
                hovering)
                Regards ... Alec

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 25, 2006
                  I located portions of the wheel mouse discussion at the NoteTab Basic List, & I'm happy to report that after installing the Logitech drivers, not only has the ability to scroll returned to NoteTab, but I can now autoscroll as well.

                  I don't know if this is the common factor that plagues all users with this wheel mouse issue, but it will certainly solve the problem for some, if not many.

                  I enjoy using NoteTab. I don't take it for granted that it is a free gift.

                  Please do not misinterpret the tone of the following, & accept it as a friendly observation.

                  It would be a very good thing if NTv5 eliminates the necessity for mandatory mouseware installation.

                  While it is nice having the enhanced features offered by the adding what is optional mouseware, it is unlikely I would have done so if it was not for NoteTab.

                  This is a risky business. This type of thing just opens up the possibility for a whole new can of worms, for me & for you.

                  I'd far rather avoid something that, for all I know could bog down &/or destabilize my system, & that's exactly the chance you are taking when installing such items.

                  Fact is, installing the latest Logitech drivers posed some problems for me, & I will observe things closely before I decide whether I will keep them or uninstall.

                  After the mouseware install, my system crashed & locked up twice on reboot (couldn't even access the task manager--had to hit the reset button).

                  Luckily I was finally able to boot up & get into my Device Manager to make some adjustments. Even after the mouseware install, the drivers had to upgraded.

                  I don't have to tell you how overwhelming this could be to a newbie.

                  Perhaps you are already aware of these possibilities, & that is why you did not suggest a driver upgrade, but for those who also run into that same conversation at the NoteTab Basic group, I thought it was important mentioning.

                  Still anxiously awaiting v5.
                • mapsonx
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 25, 2006
                    Hi Alex

                    Remember you from Prox-List.

                    > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess\(g\)" <buralex@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Mapsonx:
                    > Katmouse http://ehiti.sdf-eu.org/katmouse/ is a freeware program that helps
                    > with mouse-scrolling.

                    Yeh, I caught your posts from way back with that suggestion, but I'm running Win98se.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 26, 2006
                      Hi mapsonx,

                      >I located portions of the wheel mouse discussion at the NoteTab
                      >Basic List, & I'm happy to report that after installing the
                      >Logitech drivers, not only has the ability to scroll returned to
                      >NoteTab, but I can now autoscroll as well.

                      Once I knew that it was not working in the main edit window from
                      your previous message, I was going to have you reinstall your
                      Mouseware. You have to have its extended functionality installed
                      EM_ECECEXE or whatever that is in Task Manager running. You are
                      still lucky to have it all scrolling just by hovering. Just a few
                      users that I am aware of have that. I use Logitech on all my
                      computers except my laptop which I recently changed from Logitech
                      to a mini travel mouse. Who knows, maybe it is Tweak UI that
                      breaks it. My son's computer scrolls by just hovering in almost
                      all panes, but there are some that it does not. I do not have any
                      tweak software installed on his machine.

                      -jody

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 26, 2006
                        > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

                        > Once I knew that it was not working in the main edit window from
                        > your previous message, I was going to have you reinstall your
                        > Mouseware.

                        Well, actually I originally never had it installed in the first place.

                        I just installed my Logitech Optical mouse as I would any PS2 mouse; I plugged it in & let the system recognize it. Until recently the wheel scroll worked normally in NTL "without" the mouseware.

                        If anyone wants to download & try the latest Logitech mouseware, here it is
                        http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downloads/categories/US/EN,CRID=1792

                        Logitech Optical MouseWare Version: 9.79.1 build 25
                        http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downloads/software/US/EN,CRID=1792,contentid=9149
                        http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downloads/software/US/EN,CRID=1792,contentid=11018
                        http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downloads/software/US/EN,CRID=1792,contentid=6033,OSID=5

                        or

                        http://www.helpdrivers.com/ingles/listado/dow.asp?codigo=91703

                        > You are
                        > still lucky to have it all scrolling just by hovering. Just a few
                        > users that I am aware of have that.

                        By hovering, you mean clicking the scroll wheel within NTL & bringing up the round "autoscroll" icon, right?

                        I'm sure you already know this, but for those who don't, the Logitech mouseware also installs an enhanced settings interface in place of the default one in Control Panel > Mouse. Among other things there, you can configue the mouse to use the autoscroll feature.

                        > Who knows, maybe it is Tweak UI that
                        > breaks it.

                        I stopped using Tweak UI long long ago, so that's not what "broke" it for me.