Re: Fast ADSL - what to expect?

  • abairheart
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21, 2006
      FWIW

      You can never get faster EFFECTIVE download speed, than the weakest
      link along the route. On the other hand, the measured speed may be
      that of a link faster than that, meaning, that the only TRUE measrue
      of download speed is the total data downloaded divided by the total
      time taken for the download.

      > normal. I don't know what to expect, really. Oh, I do realize that
      I won't
      > get 24 Mb when I download files, but I thought a test would show
      the full bw.

      To test what your ISP's best bandwidth is you have to arrange for a
      connection as close as possible to yours, that has the same supposed
      speed, and can provide a download large enough to time.

      If possible TWO suchj servers, one serviced by your ISP, one serviced
      by some other ISP.

      Abair
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 21, 2006
        abairheart wrote:
        >To test what your ISP's best bandwidth is you have to arrange for a
        >connection as close as possible to yours, that has the same supposed
        >speed, and can provide a download large enough to time.

        Yeah, but the ISP doesn't provide a test and I don't know anyone using the
        same ISP with the same speed as I have. I get some webspace with them, but
        only 10 MB, so of no use for this. The fastest I've gotten so far is 1.9
        MB/s from a Swedish university server. That was fun!

        I was thinking there was a way of knowing what one could expect. Anyone
        else with the same speed? What do you get?

        Thank you,
        Lotta
      • Barry
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 22, 2006
          There are a number of freeware speed test programs out there and a place to
          start is http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

          Take care. Barry UK

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 23, 2006
            Barry wrote:
            >There are a number of freeware speed test programs out there and a place to
            >start is http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

            Thanks, Barry. I didn't know that site before. I already have some speed
            test programs, but they don't really tell me much since I don't have
            anything to compare with. Oh well, it's a whole lot faster than I had. I
            guess I should be pleased.