Fast ADSL - what to expect?

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 20, 2006
      Hi!

      I upgraded my ADSL connection to 24Mb/1Mb. At first it was very
      disappointing but after implementing the tweaks suggested by dslreports.com
      I managed to get at top of their table for my ISP. Wee! :-)
      <http://www.dslreports.com/archive/telia.com?s=3261&r=667>
      I'm "gorilla". I started out way worse than it shows there. They only save
      the three best results.

      Given no one has better than me, what does this mean? Doesn't dslreport.com
      have a wide enough pipe to measure higher speeds or doesn't telia give me
      what I pay for? Or do you get the full speed only when the remote server is
      close enough? I see the highest speed they've measured if ~10Mb.
      <http://www.dslreports.com/archive>

      I'm very close to the station so that's not a problem. Maybe this is
      normal. I don't know what to expect, really. Oh, I do realize that I won't
      get 24 Mb when I download files, but I thought a test would show the full bw.

      Lotta
    • abairheart
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 21, 2006
        FWIW

        You can never get faster EFFECTIVE download speed, than the weakest
        link along the route. On the other hand, the measured speed may be
        that of a link faster than that, meaning, that the only TRUE measrue
        of download speed is the total data downloaded divided by the total
        time taken for the download.

        > normal. I don't know what to expect, really. Oh, I do realize that
        I won't
        > get 24 Mb when I download files, but I thought a test would show
        the full bw.

        To test what your ISP's best bandwidth is you have to arrange for a
        connection as close as possible to yours, that has the same supposed
        speed, and can provide a download large enough to time.

        If possible TWO suchj servers, one serviced by your ISP, one serviced
        by some other ISP.

        Abair
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 21, 2006
          abairheart wrote:
          >To test what your ISP's best bandwidth is you have to arrange for a
          >connection as close as possible to yours, that has the same supposed
          >speed, and can provide a download large enough to time.

          Yeah, but the ISP doesn't provide a test and I don't know anyone using the
          same ISP with the same speed as I have. I get some webspace with them, but
          only 10 MB, so of no use for this. The fastest I've gotten so far is 1.9
          MB/s from a Swedish university server. That was fun!

          I was thinking there was a way of knowing what one could expect. Anyone
          else with the same speed? What do you get?

          Thank you,
          Lotta
        • Barry
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 22, 2006
            There are a number of freeware speed test programs out there and a place to
            start is http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

            Take care. Barry UK

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 23, 2006
              Barry wrote:
              >There are a number of freeware speed test programs out there and a place to
              >start is http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

              Thanks, Barry. I didn't know that site before. I already have some speed
              test programs, but they don't really tell me much since I don't have
              anything to compare with. Oh well, it's a whole lot faster than I had. I
              guess I should be pleased.