RE: [NTO] Gmane - Mail Lists to News Gateway

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
      Hi Julie,

      >> Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
      >> it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
      >> not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is
      >> free to support it at her own risk <vbg if she wants to. If
      >> anybody foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the
      >> list(s) up and not doing it with the email addresses hidden,
      >> then we should probably block it before it becomes a problem???
      >
      >No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock
      >if you decide to later?

      I was only going by what Greg said and ban the domain used to
      post the messages over on "Gmane - Mail Lists to News Gateway".
      You know how to do that. We/you would do it at yahoogroups. At
      least that is all I think we could do. I wouldn't spend the
      time unless you get bored someday. Here's the link that Greg
      posted: http://www.gmane.org

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • David Smart
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
        My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a wider audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without their consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.

        Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one would certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to a news gateway without my active consent.

        Also, there's a very good possibility that it violates Yahoo groups rules. (Haven't looked, so this is just speculation.)

        Regards, Dave S
        >Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
        >it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
        >not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
        >to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
        >foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
        >and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
        >probably block it before it becomes a problem???

        No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock if
        you decide to later?

        Julie

        Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 18, 2006
          Op di, 18-04-2006 te 16:45 +1000, schreef David Smart:
          > My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a wider
          > audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without their
          > consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.
          >
          > Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one would
          > certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to a news
          > gateway without my active consent.
          >
          > Also, there's a very good possibility that it violates Yahoo groups
          > rules. (Haven't looked, so this is just speculation.)

          I agree! Please keep the mailinglist has it is now. Thank you.
          --
          adrien
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 18, 2006
            Hi David and Adrien,

            >My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a
            >wider audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without
            >their consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.
            >
            >Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one
            >would certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to
            >a news gateway without my active consent.

            Thanks for your feedback. Just a few negative responses is plenty
            for me to tell us that we should not do it. Normally, I have
            learned, that only a very small percentage of people actually
            post messages with their comments, to report bugs, etc. than
            actually have the same feelings/problems... It's even worse with
            web site errors. I have had front page spelling errors or broken
            links reported to me that have been like that for 5-10 years to
            give you an example.

            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm