RE: [NTO] Gmane - Mail Lists to News Gateway

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
      Hi Jody -

      >Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
      >it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
      >not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
      >to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
      >foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
      >and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
      >probably block it before it becomes a problem???

      No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock if
      you decide to later?

      Julie
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
        Hi Julie,

        >> Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
        >> it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
        >> not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is
        >> free to support it at her own risk <vbg if she wants to. If
        >> anybody foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the
        >> list(s) up and not doing it with the email addresses hidden,
        >> then we should probably block it before it becomes a problem???
        >
        >No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock
        >if you decide to later?

        I was only going by what Greg said and ban the domain used to
        post the messages over on "Gmane - Mail Lists to News Gateway".
        You know how to do that. We/you would do it at yahoogroups. At
        least that is all I think we could do. I wouldn't spend the
        time unless you get bored someday. Here's the link that Greg
        posted: http://www.gmane.org

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      • David Smart
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
          My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a wider audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without their consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.

          Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one would certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to a news gateway without my active consent.

          Also, there's a very good possibility that it violates Yahoo groups rules. (Haven't looked, so this is just speculation.)

          Regards, Dave S
          >Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
          >it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
          >not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
          >to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
          >foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
          >and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
          >probably block it before it becomes a problem???

          No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock if
          you decide to later?

          Julie

          Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 18, 2006
            Op di, 18-04-2006 te 16:45 +1000, schreef David Smart:
            > My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a wider
            > audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without their
            > consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.
            >
            > Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one would
            > certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to a news
            > gateway without my active consent.
            >
            > Also, there's a very good possibility that it violates Yahoo groups
            > rules. (Haven't looked, so this is just speculation.)

            I agree! Please keep the mailinglist has it is now. Thank you.
            --
            adrien
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 18, 2006
              Hi David and Adrien,

              >My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a
              >wider audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without
              >their consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.
              >
              >Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one
              >would certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to
              >a news gateway without my active consent.

              Thanks for your feedback. Just a few negative responses is plenty
              for me to tell us that we should not do it. Normally, I have
              learned, that only a very small percentage of people actually
              post messages with their comments, to report bugs, etc. than
              actually have the same feelings/problems... It's even worse with
              web site errors. I have had front page spelling errors or broken
              links reported to me that have been like that for 5-10 years to
              give you an example.

              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm