RE: [NTO] Gmane - Mail Lists to News Gateway

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 17 2:54 PM
      Hi Lotta, Greg, and Julie G.,

      >> (Still like the idea of subscribing to high volume lists via
      >> news, though!)
      >
      >Hope I didn't make it sound like I don't approve. I don't care
      >either way. I wouldn't use it but if others find it useful it's
      >fine with me. I just wanted to make sure the email addies will be
      >obfuscated. :-)

      Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
      it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
      not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
      to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
      foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
      and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
      probably block it before it becomes a problem???

      > I guess Jody had better place the Gmane domain in his banned
      > list, if indeed Yahoo allows you to be so broad a banning,
      > unless he chooses to subscribe Gmane - and I'd agree Encrypt
      > Addresses is vital!

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • Julie
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 17 4:02 PM
        Hi Jody -

        >Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
        >it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
        >not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
        >to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
        >foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
        >and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
        >probably block it before it becomes a problem???

        No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock if
        you decide to later?

        Julie
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 17 5:53 PM
          Hi Julie,

          >> Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
          >> it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
          >> not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is
          >> free to support it at her own risk <vbg if she wants to. If
          >> anybody foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the
          >> list(s) up and not doing it with the email addresses hidden,
          >> then we should probably block it before it becomes a problem???
          >
          >No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock
          >if you decide to later?

          I was only going by what Greg said and ban the domain used to
          post the messages over on "Gmane - Mail Lists to News Gateway".
          You know how to do that. We/you would do it at yahoogroups. At
          least that is all I think we could do. I wouldn't spend the
          time unless you get bored someday. Here's the link that Greg
          posted: http://www.gmane.org

          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 17 11:45 PM
            My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a wider audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without their consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.

            Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one would certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to a news gateway without my active consent.

            Also, there's a very good possibility that it violates Yahoo groups rules. (Haven't looked, so this is just speculation.)

            Regards, Dave S
            >Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
            >it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
            >not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
            >to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
            >foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
            >and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
            >probably block it before it becomes a problem???

            No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock if
            you decide to later?

            Julie

            Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 18 2:53 AM
              Op di, 18-04-2006 te 16:45 +1000, schreef David Smart:
              > My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a wider
              > audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without their
              > consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.
              >
              > Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one would
              > certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to a news
              > gateway without my active consent.
              >
              > Also, there's a very good possibility that it violates Yahoo groups
              > rules. (Haven't looked, so this is just speculation.)

              I agree! Please keep the mailinglist has it is now. Thank you.
              --
              adrien
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 18 6:48 AM
                Hi David and Adrien,

                >My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a
                >wider audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without
                >their consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.
                >
                >Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one
                >would certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to
                >a news gateway without my active consent.

                Thanks for your feedback. Just a few negative responses is plenty
                for me to tell us that we should not do it. Normally, I have
                learned, that only a very small percentage of people actually
                post messages with their comments, to report bugs, etc. than
                actually have the same feelings/problems... It's even worse with
                web site errors. I have had front page spelling errors or broken
                links reported to me that have been like that for 5-10 years to
                give you an example.

                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm