RE: [NTO] Gmane - Mail Lists to News Gateway

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 16, 2006
      Hi Lotta,

      > Nuh. Looks like it used to. I see nothing about that only the "original
      > owner" can subscribe a list.

      Reading more carefully again, I realise that you are right. It needn't be
      the list owner that can subscribe a group.

      I guess Jody had better place the Gmane domain in his banned list, if indeed
      Yahoo allows you to be so broad a banning, unless he chooses to subscribe
      Gmane - and I'd agree Encrypt Addresses is vital!

      (Still like the idea of subscribing to high volume lists via news, though!)

      Greg
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
        Hi Greg,
        >(Still like the idea of subscribing to high volume lists via news, though!)

        Hope I didn't make it sound like I don't approve. I don't care either way.
        I wouldn't use it but if others find it useful it's fine with me. I just
        wanted to make sure the email addies will be obfuscated. :-)

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
          Hi Lotta, Greg, and Julie G.,

          >> (Still like the idea of subscribing to high volume lists via
          >> news, though!)
          >
          >Hope I didn't make it sound like I don't approve. I don't care
          >either way. I wouldn't use it but if others find it useful it's
          >fine with me. I just wanted to make sure the email addies will be
          >obfuscated. :-)

          Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
          it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
          not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
          to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
          foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
          and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
          probably block it before it becomes a problem???

          > I guess Jody had better place the Gmane domain in his banned
          > list, if indeed Yahoo allows you to be so broad a banning,
          > unless he chooses to subscribe Gmane - and I'd agree Encrypt
          > Addresses is vital!

          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
        • Julie
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
            Hi Jody -

            >Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
            >it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
            >not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
            >to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
            >foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
            >and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
            >probably block it before it becomes a problem???

            No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock if
            you decide to later?

            Julie
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
              Hi Julie,

              >> Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
              >> it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
              >> not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is
              >> free to support it at her own risk <vbg if she wants to. If
              >> anybody foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the
              >> list(s) up and not doing it with the email addresses hidden,
              >> then we should probably block it before it becomes a problem???
              >
              >No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock
              >if you decide to later?

              I was only going by what Greg said and ban the domain used to
              post the messages over on "Gmane - Mail Lists to News Gateway".
              You know how to do that. We/you would do it at yahoogroups. At
              least that is all I think we could do. I wouldn't spend the
              time unless you get bored someday. Here's the link that Greg
              posted: http://www.gmane.org

              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
            • David Smart
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
                My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a wider audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without their consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.

                Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one would certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to a news gateway without my active consent.

                Also, there's a very good possibility that it violates Yahoo groups rules. (Haven't looked, so this is just speculation.)

                Regards, Dave S
                >Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
                >it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
                >not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
                >to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
                >foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
                >and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
                >probably block it before it becomes a problem???

                No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock if
                you decide to later?

                Julie

                Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 18, 2006
                  Op di, 18-04-2006 te 16:45 +1000, schreef David Smart:
                  > My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a wider
                  > audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without their
                  > consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.
                  >
                  > Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one would
                  > certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to a news
                  > gateway without my active consent.
                  >
                  > Also, there's a very good possibility that it violates Yahoo groups
                  > rules. (Haven't looked, so this is just speculation.)

                  I agree! Please keep the mailinglist has it is now. Thank you.
                  --
                  adrien
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 18, 2006
                    Hi David and Adrien,

                    >My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a
                    >wider audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without
                    >their consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.
                    >
                    >Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one
                    >would certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to
                    >a news gateway without my active consent.

                    Thanks for your feedback. Just a few negative responses is plenty
                    for me to tell us that we should not do it. Normally, I have
                    learned, that only a very small percentage of people actually
                    post messages with their comments, to report bugs, etc. than
                    actually have the same feelings/problems... It's even worse with
                    web site errors. I have had front page spelling errors or broken
                    links reported to me that have been like that for 5-10 years to
                    give you an example.

                    http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm