RE: [NTO] Gmane - Mail Lists to News Gateway

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 16 8:32 AM
      Greg Chapman wrote:
      >Must have changed!
      >
      >Take a look at:
      >http://gmane.org/subscribe.php
      >and you'll see that when a listowner subscribes to a list these days he has
      >these choices (amongst others)

      Nuh. Looks like it used to. I see nothing about that only the "original
      owner" can subscribe a list. On the contrary, this implies that is not the
      case: "To subscribe a mailing list, fill out the form below. Please do not
      subscribe lists that don't want to be carried by Gmane.". A list owner
      wouldn't need that pointed out to him, I think. He wouldn't be there in the
      first place if he didn't want his list subscribed.

      >Encrypt addresses:
      >
      >If you think that all addresses in this mailing list should be encrypted.
      >This makes addresses look like larsi-SDHSGGHghsdyS@....

      Yes, I know. I'm just saying (to Jody) please use that option if
      you subscribe Notetab.:-)

      Lotta
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 16 4:29 PM
        Hi Lotta,

        > Nuh. Looks like it used to. I see nothing about that only the "original
        > owner" can subscribe a list.

        Reading more carefully again, I realise that you are right. It needn't be
        the list owner that can subscribe a group.

        I guess Jody had better place the Gmane domain in his banned list, if indeed
        Yahoo allows you to be so broad a banning, unless he chooses to subscribe
        Gmane - and I'd agree Encrypt Addresses is vital!

        (Still like the idea of subscribing to high volume lists via news, though!)

        Greg
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 17 10:19 AM
          Hi Greg,
          >(Still like the idea of subscribing to high volume lists via news, though!)

          Hope I didn't make it sound like I don't approve. I don't care either way.
          I wouldn't use it but if others find it useful it's fine with me. I just
          wanted to make sure the email addies will be obfuscated. :-)

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 17 2:54 PM
            Hi Lotta, Greg, and Julie G.,

            >> (Still like the idea of subscribing to high volume lists via
            >> news, though!)
            >
            >Hope I didn't make it sound like I don't approve. I don't care
            >either way. I wouldn't use it but if others find it useful it's
            >fine with me. I just wanted to make sure the email addies will be
            >obfuscated. :-)

            Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
            it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
            not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
            to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
            foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
            and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
            probably block it before it becomes a problem???

            > I guess Jody had better place the Gmane domain in his banned
            > list, if indeed Yahoo allows you to be so broad a banning,
            > unless he chooses to subscribe Gmane - and I'd agree Encrypt
            > Addresses is vital!

            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
          • Julie
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 17 4:02 PM
              Hi Jody -

              >Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
              >it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
              >not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
              >to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
              >foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
              >and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
              >probably block it before it becomes a problem???

              No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock if
              you decide to later?

              Julie
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 17 5:53 PM
                Hi Julie,

                >> Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
                >> it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
                >> not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is
                >> free to support it at her own risk <vbg if she wants to. If
                >> anybody foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the
                >> list(s) up and not doing it with the email addresses hidden,
                >> then we should probably block it before it becomes a problem???
                >
                >No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock
                >if you decide to later?

                I was only going by what Greg said and ban the domain used to
                post the messages over on "Gmane - Mail Lists to News Gateway".
                You know how to do that. We/you would do it at yahoogroups. At
                least that is all I think we could do. I wouldn't spend the
                time unless you get bored someday. Here's the link that Greg
                posted: http://www.gmane.org

                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
              • David Smart
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 17 11:45 PM
                  My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a wider audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without their consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.

                  Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one would certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to a news gateway without my active consent.

                  Also, there's a very good possibility that it violates Yahoo groups rules. (Haven't looked, so this is just speculation.)

                  Regards, Dave S
                  >Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
                  >it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
                  >not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
                  >to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
                  >foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
                  >and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
                  >probably block it before it becomes a problem???

                  No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock if
                  you decide to later?

                  Julie

                  Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 18 2:53 AM
                    Op di, 18-04-2006 te 16:45 +1000, schreef David Smart:
                    > My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a wider
                    > audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without their
                    > consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.
                    >
                    > Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one would
                    > certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to a news
                    > gateway without my active consent.
                    >
                    > Also, there's a very good possibility that it violates Yahoo groups
                    > rules. (Haven't looked, so this is just speculation.)

                    I agree! Please keep the mailinglist has it is now. Thank you.
                    --
                    adrien
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 18 6:48 AM
                      Hi David and Adrien,

                      >My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a
                      >wider audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without
                      >their consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.
                      >
                      >Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one
                      >would certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to
                      >a news gateway without my active consent.

                      Thanks for your feedback. Just a few negative responses is plenty
                      for me to tell us that we should not do it. Normally, I have
                      learned, that only a very small percentage of people actually
                      post messages with their comments, to report bugs, etc. than
                      actually have the same feelings/problems... It's even worse with
                      web site errors. I have had front page spelling errors or broken
                      links reported to me that have been like that for 5-10 years to
                      give you an example.

                      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm