RE: [NTO] Gmane - Mail Lists to News Gateway

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 16, 2006
      Hi Lotta,

      > The problem with gmain (if this hasn't changed) is that anyone can
      > subscribe a list. This way lists have been archived and made available to
      > the public when they weren't supposed to be. If you decide to
      > subscribe the notatab lists, please use the spam obfuscation option. Don't
      > need more spam, me.

      Must have changed!

      Take a look at:
      http://gmane.org/subscribe.php
      and you'll see that when a listowner subscribes to a list these days he has
      these choices (amongst others)

      ==================
      Posting permissions

      - Posting allowed (default)
      - Read-only (for announcement lists, CVS logs etc.)
      - Non-public (posting through Gmane allowed for list members)
      - Unidirectional (no posting allowed through Gmane)

      Encrypt addresses:

      If you think that all addresses in this mailing list should be encrypted.
      This makes addresses look like larsi-SDHSGGHghsdyS@....

      Spam tagging

      Should spam be checked for and tagged in this group?
      ==================

      Do read the pages on Spam, Posting on the site. I think they do answer all
      your fears - but I'm always will to be corrected.

      Greg
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 16, 2006
        Greg Chapman wrote:
        >Must have changed!
        >
        >Take a look at:
        >http://gmane.org/subscribe.php
        >and you'll see that when a listowner subscribes to a list these days he has
        >these choices (amongst others)

        Nuh. Looks like it used to. I see nothing about that only the "original
        owner" can subscribe a list. On the contrary, this implies that is not the
        case: "To subscribe a mailing list, fill out the form below. Please do not
        subscribe lists that don't want to be carried by Gmane.". A list owner
        wouldn't need that pointed out to him, I think. He wouldn't be there in the
        first place if he didn't want his list subscribed.

        >Encrypt addresses:
        >
        >If you think that all addresses in this mailing list should be encrypted.
        >This makes addresses look like larsi-SDHSGGHghsdyS@....

        Yes, I know. I'm just saying (to Jody) please use that option if
        you subscribe Notetab.:-)

        Lotta
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 16, 2006
          Hi Lotta,

          > Nuh. Looks like it used to. I see nothing about that only the "original
          > owner" can subscribe a list.

          Reading more carefully again, I realise that you are right. It needn't be
          the list owner that can subscribe a group.

          I guess Jody had better place the Gmane domain in his banned list, if indeed
          Yahoo allows you to be so broad a banning, unless he chooses to subscribe
          Gmane - and I'd agree Encrypt Addresses is vital!

          (Still like the idea of subscribing to high volume lists via news, though!)

          Greg
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
            Hi Greg,
            >(Still like the idea of subscribing to high volume lists via news, though!)

            Hope I didn't make it sound like I don't approve. I don't care either way.
            I wouldn't use it but if others find it useful it's fine with me. I just
            wanted to make sure the email addies will be obfuscated. :-)

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
              Hi Lotta, Greg, and Julie G.,

              >> (Still like the idea of subscribing to high volume lists via
              >> news, though!)
              >
              >Hope I didn't make it sound like I don't approve. I don't care
              >either way. I wouldn't use it but if others find it useful it's
              >fine with me. I just wanted to make sure the email addies will be
              >obfuscated. :-)

              Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
              it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
              not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
              to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
              foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
              and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
              probably block it before it becomes a problem???

              > I guess Jody had better place the Gmane domain in his banned
              > list, if indeed Yahoo allows you to be so broad a banning,
              > unless he chooses to subscribe Gmane - and I'd agree Encrypt
              > Addresses is vital!

              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
            • Julie
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
                Hi Jody -

                >Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
                >it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
                >not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
                >to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
                >foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
                >and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
                >probably block it before it becomes a problem???

                No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock if
                you decide to later?

                Julie
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
                  Hi Julie,

                  >> Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
                  >> it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
                  >> not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is
                  >> free to support it at her own risk <vbg if she wants to. If
                  >> anybody foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the
                  >> list(s) up and not doing it with the email addresses hidden,
                  >> then we should probably block it before it becomes a problem???
                  >
                  >No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock
                  >if you decide to later?

                  I was only going by what Greg said and ban the domain used to
                  post the messages over on "Gmane - Mail Lists to News Gateway".
                  You know how to do that. We/you would do it at yahoogroups. At
                  least that is all I think we could do. I wouldn't spend the
                  time unless you get bored someday. Here's the link that Greg
                  posted: http://www.gmane.org

                  http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                • David Smart
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
                    My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a wider audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without their consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.

                    Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one would certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to a news gateway without my active consent.

                    Also, there's a very good possibility that it violates Yahoo groups rules. (Haven't looked, so this is just speculation.)

                    Regards, Dave S
                    >Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
                    >it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
                    >not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
                    >to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
                    >foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
                    >and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
                    >probably block it before it becomes a problem???

                    No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock if
                    you decide to later?

                    Julie

                    Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 18, 2006
                      Op di, 18-04-2006 te 16:45 +1000, schreef David Smart:
                      > My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a wider
                      > audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without their
                      > consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.
                      >
                      > Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one would
                      > certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to a news
                      > gateway without my active consent.
                      >
                      > Also, there's a very good possibility that it violates Yahoo groups
                      > rules. (Haven't looked, so this is just speculation.)

                      I agree! Please keep the mailinglist has it is now. Thank you.
                      --
                      adrien
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 18, 2006
                        Hi David and Adrien,

                        >My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a
                        >wider audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without
                        >their consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.
                        >
                        >Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one
                        >would certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to
                        >a news gateway without my active consent.

                        Thanks for your feedback. Just a few negative responses is plenty
                        for me to tell us that we should not do it. Normally, I have
                        learned, that only a very small percentage of people actually
                        post messages with their comments, to report bugs, etc. than
                        actually have the same feelings/problems... It's even worse with
                        web site errors. I have had front page spelling errors or broken
                        links reported to me that have been like that for 5-10 years to
                        give you an example.

                        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm