RE: [NTO] Gmane - Mail Lists to News Gateway

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 15, 2006
      Greg Chapman wrote:
      >As list owner you need to set it up - or approve it at least. Then
      >individuals can choose whether to take the newsgroup version or the original
      >list format.

      The problem with gmain (if this hasn't changed) is that anyone can
      subscribe a list. This way lists have been archived and made available to
      the public when they weren't supposed to be. If you decide to subscribe the
      notatab lists, please use the spam obfuscation option. Don't need more
      spam, me.

      Lotta
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 16, 2006
        Hi Lotta,

        > The problem with gmain (if this hasn't changed) is that anyone can
        > subscribe a list. This way lists have been archived and made available to
        > the public when they weren't supposed to be. If you decide to
        > subscribe the notatab lists, please use the spam obfuscation option. Don't
        > need more spam, me.

        Must have changed!

        Take a look at:
        http://gmane.org/subscribe.php
        and you'll see that when a listowner subscribes to a list these days he has
        these choices (amongst others)

        ==================
        Posting permissions

        - Posting allowed (default)
        - Read-only (for announcement lists, CVS logs etc.)
        - Non-public (posting through Gmane allowed for list members)
        - Unidirectional (no posting allowed through Gmane)

        Encrypt addresses:

        If you think that all addresses in this mailing list should be encrypted.
        This makes addresses look like larsi-SDHSGGHghsdyS@....

        Spam tagging

        Should spam be checked for and tagged in this group?
        ==================

        Do read the pages on Spam, Posting on the site. I think they do answer all
        your fears - but I'm always will to be corrected.

        Greg
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 16, 2006
          Greg Chapman wrote:
          >Must have changed!
          >
          >Take a look at:
          >http://gmane.org/subscribe.php
          >and you'll see that when a listowner subscribes to a list these days he has
          >these choices (amongst others)

          Nuh. Looks like it used to. I see nothing about that only the "original
          owner" can subscribe a list. On the contrary, this implies that is not the
          case: "To subscribe a mailing list, fill out the form below. Please do not
          subscribe lists that don't want to be carried by Gmane.". A list owner
          wouldn't need that pointed out to him, I think. He wouldn't be there in the
          first place if he didn't want his list subscribed.

          >Encrypt addresses:
          >
          >If you think that all addresses in this mailing list should be encrypted.
          >This makes addresses look like larsi-SDHSGGHghsdyS@....

          Yes, I know. I'm just saying (to Jody) please use that option if
          you subscribe Notetab.:-)

          Lotta
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 16, 2006
            Hi Lotta,

            > Nuh. Looks like it used to. I see nothing about that only the "original
            > owner" can subscribe a list.

            Reading more carefully again, I realise that you are right. It needn't be
            the list owner that can subscribe a group.

            I guess Jody had better place the Gmane domain in his banned list, if indeed
            Yahoo allows you to be so broad a banning, unless he chooses to subscribe
            Gmane - and I'd agree Encrypt Addresses is vital!

            (Still like the idea of subscribing to high volume lists via news, though!)

            Greg
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
              Hi Greg,
              >(Still like the idea of subscribing to high volume lists via news, though!)

              Hope I didn't make it sound like I don't approve. I don't care either way.
              I wouldn't use it but if others find it useful it's fine with me. I just
              wanted to make sure the email addies will be obfuscated. :-)

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
                Hi Lotta, Greg, and Julie G.,

                >> (Still like the idea of subscribing to high volume lists via
                >> news, though!)
                >
                >Hope I didn't make it sound like I don't approve. I don't care
                >either way. I wouldn't use it but if others find it useful it's
                >fine with me. I just wanted to make sure the email addies will be
                >obfuscated. :-)

                Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
                it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
                not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
                to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
                foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
                and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
                probably block it before it becomes a problem???

                > I guess Jody had better place the Gmane domain in his banned
                > list, if indeed Yahoo allows you to be so broad a banning,
                > unless he chooses to subscribe Gmane - and I'd agree Encrypt
                > Addresses is vital!

                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
              • Julie
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
                  Hi Jody -

                  >Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
                  >it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
                  >not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
                  >to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
                  >foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
                  >and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
                  >probably block it before it becomes a problem???

                  No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock if
                  you decide to later?

                  Julie
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
                    Hi Julie,

                    >> Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
                    >> it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
                    >> not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is
                    >> free to support it at her own risk <vbg if she wants to. If
                    >> anybody foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the
                    >> list(s) up and not doing it with the email addresses hidden,
                    >> then we should probably block it before it becomes a problem???
                    >
                    >No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock
                    >if you decide to later?

                    I was only going by what Greg said and ban the domain used to
                    post the messages over on "Gmane - Mail Lists to News Gateway".
                    You know how to do that. We/you would do it at yahoogroups. At
                    least that is all I think we could do. I wouldn't spend the
                    time unless you get bored someday. Here's the link that Greg
                    posted: http://www.gmane.org

                    http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                  • David Smart
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
                      My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a wider audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without their consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.

                      Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one would certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to a news gateway without my active consent.

                      Also, there's a very good possibility that it violates Yahoo groups rules. (Haven't looked, so this is just speculation.)

                      Regards, Dave S
                      >Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
                      >it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
                      >not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
                      >to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
                      >foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
                      >and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
                      >probably block it before it becomes a problem???

                      No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock if
                      you decide to later?

                      Julie

                      Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 18, 2006
                        Op di, 18-04-2006 te 16:45 +1000, schreef David Smart:
                        > My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a wider
                        > audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without their
                        > consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.
                        >
                        > Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one would
                        > certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to a news
                        > gateway without my active consent.
                        >
                        > Also, there's a very good possibility that it violates Yahoo groups
                        > rules. (Haven't looked, so this is just speculation.)

                        I agree! Please keep the mailinglist has it is now. Thank you.
                        --
                        adrien
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 18, 2006
                          Hi David and Adrien,

                          >My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a
                          >wider audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without
                          >their consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.
                          >
                          >Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one
                          >would certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to
                          >a news gateway without my active consent.

                          Thanks for your feedback. Just a few negative responses is plenty
                          for me to tell us that we should not do it. Normally, I have
                          learned, that only a very small percentage of people actually
                          post messages with their comments, to report bugs, etc. than
                          actually have the same feelings/problems... It's even worse with
                          web site errors. I have had front page spelling errors or broken
                          links reported to me that have been like that for 5-10 years to
                          give you an example.

                          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm