RE: [NTO] Gmane - Mail Lists to News Gateway

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 15, 2006
      Hi Jody,

      > Thanks! I guess I missed my point, or you did. Is this something
      > that I have to setup or is it just the users that want to use it
      > and it there maintenance to do if I have to do it?

      As list owner you need to set it up - or approve it at least. Then
      individuals can choose whether to take the newsgroup version or the original
      list format.

      Essentially, a bot at gmane becomes a subscriber to the list. The bot
      forwards all messages sent to it out through an nntp (newsgroup) server.
      Anyone who subscribes to gmane's newsgroup and then posts through their
      newsreader then has their post forwarded to the list through gmane's
      subscription.

      As list owner, you customise the gmane subscription so that, for example,
      you can make it private and newsgroup subscribers must be subscribers to the
      list before their allowed to post. (With YahooGroups you simply set your
      mail list subscription to "nomail" and you'll only see the newsgroup
      version.

      Just have a quick browse of the site. You'll get the flavour. It's uses
      open source code and is run by someone in Norway.

      Seems a great idea for high volume lists where some subscribers may be put
      off joining by the prospect of receiving lots of unwanted mail just to pick
      up a few gems.

      I've just subscribed to one such list, but can't report on how well it works
      yet as the list owner hasn't yet approved my subscription! :-)

      Greg
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 15, 2006
        Greg Chapman wrote:
        >As list owner you need to set it up - or approve it at least. Then
        >individuals can choose whether to take the newsgroup version or the original
        >list format.

        The problem with gmain (if this hasn't changed) is that anyone can
        subscribe a list. This way lists have been archived and made available to
        the public when they weren't supposed to be. If you decide to subscribe the
        notatab lists, please use the spam obfuscation option. Don't need more
        spam, me.

        Lotta
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 16, 2006
          Hi Lotta,

          > The problem with gmain (if this hasn't changed) is that anyone can
          > subscribe a list. This way lists have been archived and made available to
          > the public when they weren't supposed to be. If you decide to
          > subscribe the notatab lists, please use the spam obfuscation option. Don't
          > need more spam, me.

          Must have changed!

          Take a look at:
          http://gmane.org/subscribe.php
          and you'll see that when a listowner subscribes to a list these days he has
          these choices (amongst others)

          ==================
          Posting permissions

          - Posting allowed (default)
          - Read-only (for announcement lists, CVS logs etc.)
          - Non-public (posting through Gmane allowed for list members)
          - Unidirectional (no posting allowed through Gmane)

          Encrypt addresses:

          If you think that all addresses in this mailing list should be encrypted.
          This makes addresses look like larsi-SDHSGGHghsdyS@....

          Spam tagging

          Should spam be checked for and tagged in this group?
          ==================

          Do read the pages on Spam, Posting on the site. I think they do answer all
          your fears - but I'm always will to be corrected.

          Greg
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 16, 2006
            Greg Chapman wrote:
            >Must have changed!
            >
            >Take a look at:
            >http://gmane.org/subscribe.php
            >and you'll see that when a listowner subscribes to a list these days he has
            >these choices (amongst others)

            Nuh. Looks like it used to. I see nothing about that only the "original
            owner" can subscribe a list. On the contrary, this implies that is not the
            case: "To subscribe a mailing list, fill out the form below. Please do not
            subscribe lists that don't want to be carried by Gmane.". A list owner
            wouldn't need that pointed out to him, I think. He wouldn't be there in the
            first place if he didn't want his list subscribed.

            >Encrypt addresses:
            >
            >If you think that all addresses in this mailing list should be encrypted.
            >This makes addresses look like larsi-SDHSGGHghsdyS@....

            Yes, I know. I'm just saying (to Jody) please use that option if
            you subscribe Notetab.:-)

            Lotta
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 16, 2006
              Hi Lotta,

              > Nuh. Looks like it used to. I see nothing about that only the "original
              > owner" can subscribe a list.

              Reading more carefully again, I realise that you are right. It needn't be
              the list owner that can subscribe a group.

              I guess Jody had better place the Gmane domain in his banned list, if indeed
              Yahoo allows you to be so broad a banning, unless he chooses to subscribe
              Gmane - and I'd agree Encrypt Addresses is vital!

              (Still like the idea of subscribing to high volume lists via news, though!)

              Greg
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
                Hi Greg,
                >(Still like the idea of subscribing to high volume lists via news, though!)

                Hope I didn't make it sound like I don't approve. I don't care either way.
                I wouldn't use it but if others find it useful it's fine with me. I just
                wanted to make sure the email addies will be obfuscated. :-)

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
                  Hi Lotta, Greg, and Julie G.,

                  >> (Still like the idea of subscribing to high volume lists via
                  >> news, though!)
                  >
                  >Hope I didn't make it sound like I don't approve. I don't care
                  >either way. I wouldn't use it but if others find it useful it's
                  >fine with me. I just wanted to make sure the email addies will be
                  >obfuscated. :-)

                  Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
                  it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
                  not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
                  to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
                  foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
                  and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
                  probably block it before it becomes a problem???

                  > I guess Jody had better place the Gmane domain in his banned
                  > list, if indeed Yahoo allows you to be so broad a banning,
                  > unless he chooses to subscribe Gmane - and I'd agree Encrypt
                  > Addresses is vital!

                  http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                • Julie
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
                    Hi Jody -

                    >Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
                    >it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
                    >not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
                    >to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
                    >foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
                    >and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
                    >probably block it before it becomes a problem???

                    No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock if
                    you decide to later?

                    Julie
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
                      Hi Julie,

                      >> Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
                      >> it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
                      >> not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is
                      >> free to support it at her own risk <vbg if she wants to. If
                      >> anybody foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the
                      >> list(s) up and not doing it with the email addresses hidden,
                      >> then we should probably block it before it becomes a problem???
                      >
                      >No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock
                      >if you decide to later?

                      I was only going by what Greg said and ban the domain used to
                      post the messages over on "Gmane - Mail Lists to News Gateway".
                      You know how to do that. We/you would do it at yahoogroups. At
                      least that is all I think we could do. I wouldn't spend the
                      time unless you get bored someday. Here's the link that Greg
                      posted: http://www.gmane.org

                      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                    • David Smart
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 17, 2006
                        My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a wider audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without their consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.

                        Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one would certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to a news gateway without my active consent.

                        Also, there's a very good possibility that it violates Yahoo groups rules. (Haven't looked, so this is just speculation.)

                        Regards, Dave S
                        >Personally, I don't want to find the time to do it, nor support
                        >it. I would rather not anybody from the list(s) do it, but I'm
                        >not going to block it, unless it becomes a problem. Julie is free
                        >to support it at her own risk <vbg> if she wants to. If anybody
                        >foresees a problem with it like somebody signing the list(s) up
                        >and not doing it with the email addresses hidden, then we should
                        >probably block it before it becomes a problem???

                        No time here at the moment... if you block now could you unblock if
                        you decide to later?

                        Julie

                        Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 18, 2006
                          Op di, 18-04-2006 te 16:45 +1000, schreef David Smart:
                          > My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a wider
                          > audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without their
                          > consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.
                          >
                          > Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one would
                          > certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to a news
                          > gateway without my active consent.
                          >
                          > Also, there's a very good possibility that it violates Yahoo groups
                          > rules. (Haven't looked, so this is just speculation.)

                          I agree! Please keep the mailinglist has it is now. Thank you.
                          --
                          adrien
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 18, 2006
                            Hi David and Adrien,

                            >My feeling would be that it is exposing the group members to a
                            >wider audience than they are signed up for. Certainly without
                            >their consent, but possibly also without their knowledge.
                            >
                            >Given concerns over news list trolling and spamming, I for one
                            >would certainly not be posting to a Yahoo group that is linked to
                            >a news gateway without my active consent.

                            Thanks for your feedback. Just a few negative responses is plenty
                            for me to tell us that we should not do it. Normally, I have
                            learned, that only a very small percentage of people actually
                            post messages with their comments, to report bugs, etc. than
                            actually have the same feelings/problems... It's even worse with
                            web site errors. I have had front page spelling errors or broken
                            links reported to me that have been like that for 5-10 years to
                            give you an example.

                            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm