Windows Explorer Files Extremely Slow Opening

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2 6:39 PM
      Hi All,

      Recently, my Windows Explorer is taking forever to populate the
      file side when I'm in the Folder view for the sidebar thingie.
      It's odd, because I can have like a folder of hundreds of JPGs
      open very fast, but certain folders containing certain file types
      (I suspect) with just a few folders and files in it can take up
      to 2-3 seconds for them to come into view. Does anybody know of a
      worm, virus, Windows security hole that I might have let
      something it that would cause it? I have something to check that
      seems to be installed at the same time when this started
      happening. (It was NoteTab 5b1 and about a half dozen file types
      I associated with it, after using the Remove in 4.95 Association
      tabs.)

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • abairheart
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10 12:18 PM
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Recently, my Windows Explorer is taking forever to populate the
        > file side when I'm in the Folder view for the sidebar thingie.

        If you have different drives involved, look at the drive properties,
        do a defrag CHECK, and look at the report.

        See how many of the MFT (master file table) you have in use. This is
        hidden in the bottom part of the first part of the report.

        When you get into the 90 percentiles, your PC may slow to a crawl.

        Only fix: fewer files (get rid of deadwood, backups, recycle bin, etc).

        Abair