beta test an editor/app: catalog, search highlight, syntax highlight + more

  • Alan_C
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2006
      I just received word that startup of beta test for InSight version 3 is now
      happening. This version has a tree view.

      As I'm merely both a user of Fookes software as well as a user of Insight
      who's Just sharing.

      http://www.dataomega.com/insight/index.htm

      That's the www home.

      And that's the test group.

      What you need: Know how to install the app/program, try it out, and share
      your opinions/feedback on the beta group list. Report your findings.

      --
      Alan.
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 30, 2006
        Alan_C wrote:
        > I just received word that startup of beta test for InSight version 3 is now
        > happening. This version has a tree view.
        >
        > As I'm merely both a user of Fookes software as well as a user of Insight
        > who's Just sharing.
        >
        > http://www.dataomega.com/insight/index.htm
        >
        > That's the www home.

        > And that's the test group.
        >
        > What you need: Know how to install the app/program, try it out, and share
        > your opinions/feedback on the beta group list. Report your findings.

        Interesting.
        "Syntax highlighting Built-in syntax highlighting for the most used
        languages, including HTML, Delphi Pascal, C++, Visual Basic, Perl,
        Assembly, and others...New languages can be added as needed, and the
        existing syntax definitions can be easily customized. Syntax
        highlighting can be automatically applied when a document or topic is
        opened."

        I have been playing some with Komodo myself as it offers some nice
        features for coding like syntax highlighting and code folding. I am not
        really into the outline thing.

        I sure wish that Fookes Software would decide to once again support
        notetab. It is such a wonderful product. But it needs some work to
        keep it competitive in the market. I'll be the first to admit I keep
        coming back to it every time I try another program because clips are so
        powerful, however, I am using other products more and more for bits and
        pieces of what I do because of the lack of such things.

        It looks like all the effort of late is into the mail program ... and
        maybe that is where the money is. If v5 is never coming perhaps that
        should be said. It has been four years now that we are talking of that.
        Yet no schedule. Eric has not sent an email to a notetab group in
        several years now. It seems the program is dying on the vine. Anybody
        else feel that way?
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 30, 2006
          > Eric has not sent an email to a notetab group in
          > several years now. It seems the program is dying on the vine. Anybody
          > else feel that way?

          Yes!

          Greg
        • John Mitchell
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 30, 2006
            Friday, March 31, 2006, 9:14:22 AM, Greg wrote:
            > > Eric has not sent an email to a notetab group in
            >> several years now.  It seems the program is dying on the vine.  Anybody
            >> else feel that way?
            >
            > Yes!
            >
            > Greg

            It ain't broke so he won't waste time fixing it. A new release would
            mean a lot of development work in return for what? As a one man show
            you have to be very careful with your priorities. Notetab will only
            ever make it to the top of Eric's list if there is nothing else in his
            portfolio that he believes will generate better returns. If he were to
            post here, or on any of the other NTB forums it would inevitably
            unleash a torrent of questions so he is wisely keeping his head well
            below the parapet.

            --
            Regards, John M
          • Alan_C
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 30, 2006
              On Thursday 30 March 2006 05:04, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
              > Alan_C wrote:
              > > I just received word that startup of beta test for InSight version 3 is
              > > now happening. This version has a tree view.

              Oh, BTW, (I forgot to mention earlier) I shared about this, certainly not
              meant as a competition, but meant as the possibility for
              compliment/complimentary and/or at least as exploratory if someone chose to
              do so (the find out for yourself sort of thing). And that I myself
              experience InSight as a quality software. Ultimately, of course, we each
              choose our own individual way.

              [ brief info about (this topic or off-topic, the) beta-test ]

              [ Don's info about InSight and Komodo ]

              > I sure wish that Fookes Software would decide to once again support
              > notetab. It is such a wonderful product. But it needs some work to
              > keep it competitive in the market. I'll be the first to admit I keep
              > coming back to it every time I try another program because clips are so
              > powerful

              Same here (for the longest time even) until I learned enough of Perl. Editors
              of various platforms (Win/Linux/etc.) can create my own "tool" in Perl and
              add to the tools menu and/or tools toolbar of such an editor of which there
              are many such editors. In this case a macro being a tool; in this case, clip
              is a macro language. Though Perl is much more than a macro language, small
              Perl scripts can do a/the "clip like" duty as I just mentioned above.

              But now I didn't yet mention the learning curve involved (some may take a look
              and decide to go skiing instead) about this Perl used as so called user
              created tools in some of these other editors (rather likely it's mostly a
              programmer's domain).

              And this is where I believe that Notetab excels/offers_service -- cuts the
              chase so to speak -- in comparison to these other methods, clip is fast to
              learn and most clips already exist and also are very powerful just like you
              said.

              P.S. Though InSight has many "tools", these in InSight do differ some from the
              "user created as macro using a language" the so called (and multi platform)
              add a tool method that I mentioned/described above.

              > , however, I am using other products more and more for bits and
              > pieces of what I do because of the lack of such things.
              >
              > It looks like all the effort of late is into the mail program ... and
              > maybe that is where the money is. If v5 is never coming perhaps that
              > should be said. It has been four years now that we are talking of that.
              > Yet no schedule. Eric has not sent an email to a notetab group in
              > several years now. It seems the program is dying on the vine. Anybody
              > else feel that way?

              In some ways, yes. I can see this side of it. But on the other hand, as to
              the above "cut the chase" or the expediency that Notetab *does* offer exists
              in contrast to those some ways.

              I suspect that many people use both Notetab and something else (another app or
              something for syntax highlighting, etc.)

              And I also strongly suspect that very many copies of a new major release
              version Notetab would get grabbed up very quickly upon release.

              --
              Alan.
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 30, 2006
                Hi John, Greg, and Others,

                >It ain't broke so he won't waste time fixing it. A new release
                >would mean a lot of development work in return for what? As a one
                >man show you have to be very careful with your priorities.
                >Notetab will only ever make it to the top of Eric's list if there
                >is nothing else in his portfolio that he believes will generate
                >better returns. If he were to post here, or on any of the other
                >NTB forums it would inevitably unleash a torrent of questions so
                >he is wisely keeping his head well below the parapet.

                Thank you! And, I as well have quiet, because they have been the
                same questions/ and pretty much replies for awhile now. It just
                gets old and worn out. I believe 4.95 is old, most definitely
                worn by me, but far from worn out! I'm still saving countless
                work/man hours daily, weekly, etc. I can put out 40 hours of work
                in a few hours and most happy about it. I get to assistant coach
                my sons baseball (soccer in season - division champs - 10 years
                olds and have some quality time with him and my wife thanks to
                NoteTab doing so much for me! :-) I probably will not be
                commenting / replying to this. We're very busy. Thanks be to 'Tab
                for the time to get this off to you. ;)

                This is what I just posted on the ntb-NextRelease list...

                Hi Phil,

                > You wrote: Eric:, but got Jody. ;)
                > Can you give us a status update on when we might expect the new
                > NT5 version to be released?

                No, we still do not have a guestimated release date for NoteTab
                5.0. However, Eric is presently upgrading his program libraries
                for NoteTab, MailBag, and Easy Thumbnails from using Delphi 4 to
                Delphi 7 in which he programs in. FWIW and FYI it is a lot more
                encouraging for Eric to upgrade when he is in Delphi 7 unlike
                being discouraged in Delphi 4. There will be some bug fixes and
                perhaps some easy to implement features. We hope to add treeview
                Outline some time after the initial release of 5.0.

                That is not be the total rewrite upgrade that is needed for
                better block Copy, Cut, etc., syntax highlighting. RegExp might
                make it, but the v3.x of the Addictive Software probably won't
                make it in this release due to a lot of special coding needed to
                use it working around things. That will come in version 6. Now
                that the code is updated to Delphi 7 things will get better for
                NoteTab. There's nothing more I can say at this time, because
                that is all I know. Eric is very busy programming deep in his
                code. He might not have the time to get into any discussion at
                this time, but perhaps on down the road when private-public ;)
                testing is being done.

                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 31, 2006
                  Hi Jody,

                  > This is what I just posted on the ntb-NextRelease list...

                  Thanks for that! I'm not on that list and it is the most positive news I
                  have read - even though it looks like a long wait before some of the things
                  people have been asking for for some time.

                  Like you I'm relatively happy. I wouldn't expect to use most of the
                  requested features that are "missing/broke" in v4.95. Perhaps there are
                  many in the same position for whom an upgrade wouldn't help much, (and so
                  not generate income for Eric), but I remember the days when new releases
                  were arriving almost monthly, including one or two in direct response to
                  points that I made.

                  I miss that feeling of incredible levels of personal service that I got in
                  my early days with NoteTab. It's why I feel for those who would use the
                  requested features.

                  Greg
                • Subscriber
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 31, 2006
                    > Notetab will only
                    > ever make it to the top of Eric's list if there is nothing else in his
                    > portfolio that he believes will generate better returns.

                    Dear All,
                    OK, to make a long story short.
                    I like Notetab a lof, even if this not my everyday tool, and I
                    appreciate enormous work Eric and Jody done already. Therefore,
                    I would be happy to pay for the new version, even if the two features
                    I miss are not implemented yet (multilevel outlining and RTF). Who
                    could join me?

                    --
                    Greetings,
                    Wojciech