Re: IS IT POSSIBLE?

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23 9:34 AM
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Mordechai <airflow@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      > About 3 years ago, I received a software CD, - with colored print
      and very like any other comercial CD.
      > I even installed the program in my PC, and it worked.
      > These days I have to reinstall some programs, so I inserted this CD
      into the drive and nothing happened,
      > the CD was blank!! I inserted it in the other computor - blank again!!
      > I ran a cd check program, checked it in NERO, in ISOBUSTER and in
      MAGICISO (in both PC's), all reported a blank CD!! Windows file
      explorer did not show any trace of a file.
      > Is it possible?? (strange, but facts speak for themselves)
      > The CD was always in its case, not exposed to any heat, strong light
      or any scratches or fingerprints, to be sure I checked some other CD's
      which were near this one - they all are OK!

      > Now some other thing: Would like to have some opinion on "ACRONIS
      TRUE IMAGE" program, for backups and restore, I read users opinion
      about "Norton GHOST" and they were not 'flattering'.
      > If important - OS=win xp pro+sp1
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Mordechai
      > airflow@...

      Mordechai,

      I have been in the IT industry for a very long time. So, I have seen a
      wide variety of experience with the various forms of media available.

      We had an artist client who backed up their work to CD-R. Less than a
      year later they went to the CD to retrieve some of their work to find
      it blank! Fortunately they had kept redundant copies of their work and
      thus there was no real loss.

      When using CD or DVD based media for archiving important data, one
      must use media that states plainly that it is of archival quality. The
      media will be 400% to 600% more per disc, that is, it will not be
      $0.15 per disc. If one cannot find such media locally, it can be
      obtained online.

      The inexpensive media will work for temporary storage, backup of a
      manufacturer's original disc and the like. It will never do for archiving.

      And one other point of importance: the burn speed utilized will impact
      the quality of the data image written to the disc. Slow down your
      burns, no faster than 4x on CD, and 1x on DVD. This will vastly
      improve the quality of the burn and thus the life of the archive.

      As far as the software disc you received, it could have been a from a
      bad batch at the factory, or the quality of the disc itself was poor,
      or many other environmental reasons. It does happen where an original
      disk is defective from the get go.

      I hope these suggestions help!

      Pax,

      Philip E.