RE: [NTO] IS IT POSSIBLE?

  • Chris Dart
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 23 6:04 AM
      ________________________________

      From: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mordechai
      Sent: 23 March 2006 13:37
      To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [NTO] IS IT POSSIBLE?

      Hello,
      About 3 years ago, I received a software CD, - with colored print and very like any other comercial CD.
      I even installed the program in my PC, and it worked.
      These days I have to reinstall some programs, so I inserted this CD into the drive and nothing happened,
      the CD was blank!! I inserted it in the other computor - blank again!!
      I ran a cd check program, checked it in NERO, in ISOBUSTER and in MAGICISO (in both PC's), all reported a blank CD!! Windows file explorer did not show any trace of a file.
      Is it possible?? (strange, but facts speak for themselves)
      The CD was always in its case, not exposed to any heat, strong light or any scratches or fingerprints, to be sure I checked some other CD's which were near this one - they all are OK!

      Now some other thing: Would like to have some opinion on "ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE" program, for backups and restore, I read users opinion about "Norton GHOST" and they were not 'flattering'.
      If important - OS=win xp pro+sp1
      Thanks!

      Mordechai
      airflow@...

    • Chris Dart
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23 6:17 AM
        Hi,

        I use Acronis and I find it excellent if you use the 'Acronis Secure Zone' to back up to. The Acronis Secure Zone is a partition, on any internal hard drive you choose, which is invisible to the operating system except via Acronis. I have it on my D drive to back up the C drive to. Via Acronis you can browse the backup and recover an individual file or recover the whole lot. If your system will not boot you have a boot disk (Floppy or CD), which will boot to the secure zone and recover your system.

        It can also backup to DVDs or an external drive but this can sometimes be a bit temperamental. They have improved this recently but it is still not perfect. You can boot from the boot CD or floppy and use the DVDs/external drive to recover your system but you cannot browse an external backup. I believe you can read the backup onto your hard drive and then browse it but I have not tried this.

        Chris Dart

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23 7:20 AM
          I have used Acronis TI for quite some time and it works well. I back
          up to a second internal drive then copy to an external drive.

          When I first started using Acronis TI, I used a secure zone on an
          external HD but after reading extensively on the forums, I read that
          Secure Zone was only recommended for use on a single HD and that there
          may be problems with using a secure zone on a secondary drive.

          I have browsed the images - a virtual partition is created to do so -
          and copied files but can't remember whether I have done that from the
          external drive or just from the second internal.

          Another thing again recommended . . . use the Acronis boot disk to
          create images rather than from within Winblows.

          Never tried a backup to DVD but as Chris said, it can be tricky.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Chris Dart
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 23 7:38 AM
            Hi,

            Sisterscape seems to agree with my findings except that Acronis particularly suggest you use a second internal drive if you have one for the Secure Zone!
            Its the basis for safety against disk failure - I have never had a problem with Secure Zone on any internal disk - usually different to my C drive. (not just partition, physically different drive)

            I agree that the safest way to get a backup onto DVD is to ignore the Acronis DVD making system and save DVD sized chunks on one of the hard drives, then burn these to DVD. Acronis will make the DVD sized chunks with no problem (4.35 gb), its the external communication that seems to be sticky.

            Chris

            ________________________________

            --- Chris Dart <c.dart@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I use Acronis and I find it excellent if you use the 'Acronis Secure
            > Zone' to back up to. The Acronis Secure Zone is a partition, on any
            > internal hard drive you choose, which is invisible to the operating
            > system except via Acronis. I have it on my D drive to back up the C
            > drive to. Via Acronis you can browse the backup and recover an
            > individual file or recover the whole lot. If your system will not
            > boot you have a boot disk (Floppy or CD), which will boot to the
            > secure zone and recover your system.
            >
            > It can also backup to DVDs or an external drive but this can
            > sometimes be a bit temperamental. They have improved this recently
            > but it is still not perfect. You can boot from the boot CD or floppy
            > and use the DVDs/external drive to recover your system but you cannot
            > browse an external backup. I believe you can read the backup onto
            > your hard drive and then browse it but I have not tried this.
            >
            > Chris Dart
            >
            > ________________________________

          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 23 11:47 AM
              --- Chris Dart <c.dart@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Sisterscape seems to agree with my findings except that Acronis
              > particularly suggest you use a second internal drive if you have one
              > for the Secure Zone!
              > Its the basis for safety against disk failure - I have never had a
              > problem with Secure Zone on any internal disk - usually different to
              > my C drive. (not just partition, physically different drive)

              I understood that a Secure Zone is only needed when the only option is
              to backup on the PRIMARY disk. A secure zone is not needed or
              recommended on secondary disks. And yes, it makes sense to have an
              image apart from the primary disk in case of disk failure.

              > I agree that the safest way to get a backup onto DVD is to ignore the
              > Acronis DVD making system and save DVD sized chunks on one of the
              > hard drives, then burn these to DVD. Acronis will make the DVD sized
              > chunks with no problem (4.35 gb), its the external communication that
              > seems to be sticky.

              I've never tried backing up to DVD but the method Chris described is
              the one that I would use.

              sisterscape

              http://mail.yahoo.com