Re: [NTO] Assembling new computer

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 15, 2006
      Hi Mordechai,

      >In a new computer with two hard disks, one as "Master" on the
      >primary IDE channel, the second as "Master" on the secondary IDE
      >channel. (Later a DVD writer will be added as "Slave" to one of
      >the IDE channels), It will be a dual-boot, Windows 98SE for
      >experimenting only (testing programs etc.), and Windows XP Pro as
      >the all-time working OS. I read that Windows 98SE (in this case)
      >should be installed first.
      >
      >My questions:
      >1. On which disk frefered to install Windows 98SE - the other
      >will be for the XP pro.

      Yes, MS says, at least their database, that Win98 should be
      installed first and that Win98 should be installed next. I had no
      problems installing 98 first and them XP and I've dome it a
      couple time and on different machines.

      >2. Should I use a program like "System Commander" for the dual-
      >boot or use the option built-in in XP Pro.

      I've never used XP Pro to do it, but tried with BootitNG and
      PQMagic. I found PQMagic much easier to use (see my other
      message). I first partitioned my XP Pro into a have dozen drives.
      I made the second one my Win98 installation drive when it asked
      for where to install it (again, use the custom/advanced feature
      in the Widows setup and choose the folder/drive to install Win98
      on).

      >3. Since there can be only one Active partition, which one to set
      >as Active, the one for Windows 98SE or the one for XPPro.
      >I will like to have your advise about this.

      A menu popup during boot up and you have it setup for the default
      time to open your choice of drives and in the time runs out it
      automatically boots up on the default. Open Boot.ini in NoteTab
      (found in the Windows C:\ drive in any editor and you can change
      the default drive to boot up with to like 5 seconds instead of
      the 30 second default.

      Note: You can also change the name that Windows show you which
      installation to use. FWIW, I set mine to 3 seconds, made my
      default time 3 seconds, and renamed the Microsoft, blah, blah,
      blah to: Win98 and WinXP. I would make a copy of the boot.ini if
      you are not familiar with editing the Boot.ini (or make a copy
      just to cover yourself in case some goes amiss. It is very easy
      to do. The following is mine... You want the "timeout" and the
      last "C:\=" under the multi(0) as far as the editing goes. Oh,
      the Boot.ini will be in C:\ root. That is the last thing you want
      to do after you see that everything is running correctly...

      [boot loader]
      timeout=3
      [operating systems]
      multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="WinXP" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
      C:\="Win98"

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 15, 2006
        Hi Mordechai,

        This is a report to correct a Win98/WinXP typo. I added the fix
        right in the text below, so if anybody saves these Clip messages,
        you can delete the oldest one from me and keeping this one which
        also corrects some other typos.

        bcnu,
        jody

        I can only please one person a day.