Re: [NTO] Assembling new computer

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 15 2:06 AM
      Hi Mordechai,

      >My advice is to invest in a good partition/boot manager. Have a look
      >at BootitNG (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html). The
      >level of flexibility and security that this approach delivers
      >effectively eliminates the issues often associated with dual
      >boot.

      This is a personal preference call, but I compared BootitNG and
      PQMagic for quite a long time and ended up buying Quick . I'm
      sure there are those that would argue the point of "mine if
      better than yours), but I honestly believe that PQMagic. (It may
      be called PQ Magic in you are searching for it on the we. I think
      I got it sealed on eBay for about $25.00 on CD, but I may have
      ordered directly from their web-site and got the CD version for
      $25.00. Good luck with whatever you are going to do. (I
      definitely think PQMagic is much more user friendly that BootitNG
      and for something that you don't use often, I believe that user
      friendly is a *must have* since it is something I seldom use.

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 15 2:29 AM
        Hi Mordechai,

        >In a new computer with two hard disks, one as "Master" on the
        >primary IDE channel, the second as "Master" on the secondary IDE
        >channel. (Later a DVD writer will be added as "Slave" to one of
        >the IDE channels), It will be a dual-boot, Windows 98SE for
        >experimenting only (testing programs etc.), and Windows XP Pro as
        >the all-time working OS. I read that Windows 98SE (in this case)
        >should be installed first.
        >
        >My questions:
        >1. On which disk frefered to install Windows 98SE - the other
        >will be for the XP pro.

        Yes, MS says, at least their database, that Win98 should be
        installed first and that Win98 should be installed next. I had no
        problems installing 98 first and them XP and I've dome it a
        couple time and on different machines.

        >2. Should I use a program like "System Commander" for the dual-
        >boot or use the option built-in in XP Pro.

        I've never used XP Pro to do it, but tried with BootitNG and
        PQMagic. I found PQMagic much easier to use (see my other
        message). I first partitioned my XP Pro into a have dozen drives.
        I made the second one my Win98 installation drive when it asked
        for where to install it (again, use the custom/advanced feature
        in the Widows setup and choose the folder/drive to install Win98
        on).

        >3. Since there can be only one Active partition, which one to set
        >as Active, the one for Windows 98SE or the one for XPPro.
        >I will like to have your advise about this.

        A menu popup during boot up and you have it setup for the default
        time to open your choice of drives and in the time runs out it
        automatically boots up on the default. Open Boot.ini in NoteTab
        (found in the Windows C:\ drive in any editor and you can change
        the default drive to boot up with to like 5 seconds instead of
        the 30 second default.

        Note: You can also change the name that Windows show you which
        installation to use. FWIW, I set mine to 3 seconds, made my
        default time 3 seconds, and renamed the Microsoft, blah, blah,
        blah to: Win98 and WinXP. I would make a copy of the boot.ini if
        you are not familiar with editing the Boot.ini (or make a copy
        just to cover yourself in case some goes amiss. It is very easy
        to do. The following is mine... You want the "timeout" and the
        last "C:\=" under the multi(0) as far as the editing goes. Oh,
        the Boot.ini will be in C:\ root. That is the last thing you want
        to do after you see that everything is running correctly...

        [boot loader]
        timeout=3
        [operating systems]
        multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="WinXP" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
        C:\="Win98"

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 15 3:44 AM
          Hi Mordechai,

          This is a report to correct a Win98/WinXP typo. I added the fix
          right in the text below, so if anybody saves these Clip messages,
          you can delete the oldest one from me and keeping this one which
          also corrects some other typos.

          bcnu,
          jody

          I can only please one person a day.