Re: [NTO] Assembling new computer

  • John Mitchell
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 13 11:55 AM
      My advice is to invest in a good partition/boot manager. Have a look
      at BootitNG (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html). The
      level of flexibility and security that this approach delivers
      effectively eliminates the issues often associated with dual
      boot.

      Another option you might consider, albeit a more expensive one, is to
      run W98 as a virtual machine using a product like VMWare (http://www.vmware.com).

      If you choose to go the "native" route then the simplest way is to
      install W98 first. If you do a Google search using something along the
      lines of *w98 xp dual boot* you will very quickly home in on lots of
      good advice. Here is one link to Microsoft...

      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306559

      Good luck. John M

      --
      Regards, John M
    • David Smart
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 13 12:45 PM
        I dual boot 2000 and 98 all the time - off the same disk. I believe that you should be able to do the same with XP Pro and 98.

        Install 09 first, then install the other system, ensuring that it goes into a directory other than c:\Windows. Normal for an "NT-based" system such as XP Pro or 2000 would be c:\WinNT.

        The benefit of this is that it doesn't require any special partitioning or third-party software. However, all partitions that 98 accesses need top be FAT 32 rather than NTFS.

        If you do plan to put them on different disks, put the one you use most on the main disk.

        Re active partitions ... I would think that you can have one on each disk, but I haven't checked this.

        Regards, Dave S
[...]
        airflow@...

        Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program

      • Alan_C
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 13 3:17 PM
          On Monday 13 March 2006 10:57, Mordechai wrote:
          [ 2 HD disks ]
          > this case) should be installed first. My questions:
          > 1. On which disk frefered to install Windows 98SE - the other will be for
          > the XP pro.

          see reply to # 3

          > 2. Should I use a program like "System Commander" for the
          > dual-boot or use the option built-in in XP Pro.

          either will work, though the XP, if like Win 2k's, is textual. the other
          proggie you mentioned *might* have a bit more color/graphics, might easier to
          edit preferences rather than hand editing the hidden system file named
          boot.ini (XP built-in bootloader config) -- boot.ini resides on the "active"
          partition.

          I've no prob editing boot.ini so all I'd need in this case is the XP built-in.
          The choice is yours. Or, don't edit boot.ini it defaults to a 30 second
          pause during bootup to allow user to choose which OS to load (if nothing is
          entered/chosen by user, after 30 seconds, it auto loads XP) but at any time
          during said pause, can strike enter key and immediately load XP which
          natively is the default OS (if want other than these defaults, must edit
          boot.ini).

          > 3. Since there can be only
          > one Active partition, which one to set as Active, the one for Windows 98SE
          > or the one for XP Pro.

          the only partition that needs to be active is the partition containing the
          boot loader. W98 (I think) must be on the same partition as the boot loader
          is on. XP itself, however, does not need to be on a so called "active"
          partition.

          XP is intelligent enough to find other MS OS (win 98) and also to install the
          XP boot loader onto the "active" partition and also to list the two OS's as
          choices in its (XP) boot loader all the while whilst the XP simultaneously
          can be installed to a so called "non active" partition.

          But my experience is not with 2 HD's but is with multiple partitions on one
          large HD.

          So I'm unaware if using 2 physical disks has any impact or not. I'd think
          not but I'm uncertain.

          If not impact from 2 HD's then be easy to first install W98 to one HD the one
          with "active". Then either boot from XP cd disk or insert XP cd disk while
          98 is running. But then need to be very careful to *not* choose "upgrade the
          98" but instead to choose to install XP to the other drive that's without
          "active". In doing so, the built-in boot loader automatically goes onto the
          "active" partition whilst XP itself installs to the drive (with non-active
          partition) that you chose.

          See, the boot loader on "active" can load XP given that the OS XP itself is on
          a "non active" partition.

          But, once again, this is based on multiple partitions on 1 large hard drive.

          Importantly, given if you find of no impact or difference from using 2 HD's
          rather than multiple partitions on one HD, then you should be able to
          replicate what I've done.

          If go such route then if 1 drive is faster, install your most often used OS on
          such drive (matters not, as far as speed, regards the boot loader which drive
          the boot loader is on -- though boot loader can only go onto, *must* be on
          "active" partition). So, set things accordingly.

          But, check into the 2 HD thing/potential_issue first.

          --
          Alan.
        • dave
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 14 3:23 AM
            Hi
            I would go to a single disc myself and put 98SE first on the disc XP does
            not care .
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 15 2:06 AM
              Hi Mordechai,

              >My advice is to invest in a good partition/boot manager. Have a look
              >at BootitNG (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html). The
              >level of flexibility and security that this approach delivers
              >effectively eliminates the issues often associated with dual
              >boot.

              This is a personal preference call, but I compared BootitNG and
              PQMagic for quite a long time and ended up buying Quick . I'm
              sure there are those that would argue the point of "mine if
              better than yours), but I honestly believe that PQMagic. (It may
              be called PQ Magic in you are searching for it on the we. I think
              I got it sealed on eBay for about $25.00 on CD, but I may have
              ordered directly from their web-site and got the CD version for
              $25.00. Good luck with whatever you are going to do. (I
              definitely think PQMagic is much more user friendly that BootitNG
              and for something that you don't use often, I believe that user
              friendly is a *must have* since it is something I seldom use.

              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 15 2:29 AM
                Hi Mordechai,

                >In a new computer with two hard disks, one as "Master" on the
                >primary IDE channel, the second as "Master" on the secondary IDE
                >channel. (Later a DVD writer will be added as "Slave" to one of
                >the IDE channels), It will be a dual-boot, Windows 98SE for
                >experimenting only (testing programs etc.), and Windows XP Pro as
                >the all-time working OS. I read that Windows 98SE (in this case)
                >should be installed first.
                >
                >My questions:
                >1. On which disk frefered to install Windows 98SE - the other
                >will be for the XP pro.

                Yes, MS says, at least their database, that Win98 should be
                installed first and that Win98 should be installed next. I had no
                problems installing 98 first and them XP and I've dome it a
                couple time and on different machines.

                >2. Should I use a program like "System Commander" for the dual-
                >boot or use the option built-in in XP Pro.

                I've never used XP Pro to do it, but tried with BootitNG and
                PQMagic. I found PQMagic much easier to use (see my other
                message). I first partitioned my XP Pro into a have dozen drives.
                I made the second one my Win98 installation drive when it asked
                for where to install it (again, use the custom/advanced feature
                in the Widows setup and choose the folder/drive to install Win98
                on).

                >3. Since there can be only one Active partition, which one to set
                >as Active, the one for Windows 98SE or the one for XPPro.
                >I will like to have your advise about this.

                A menu popup during boot up and you have it setup for the default
                time to open your choice of drives and in the time runs out it
                automatically boots up on the default. Open Boot.ini in NoteTab
                (found in the Windows C:\ drive in any editor and you can change
                the default drive to boot up with to like 5 seconds instead of
                the 30 second default.

                Note: You can also change the name that Windows show you which
                installation to use. FWIW, I set mine to 3 seconds, made my
                default time 3 seconds, and renamed the Microsoft, blah, blah,
                blah to: Win98 and WinXP. I would make a copy of the boot.ini if
                you are not familiar with editing the Boot.ini (or make a copy
                just to cover yourself in case some goes amiss. It is very easy
                to do. The following is mine... You want the "timeout" and the
                last "C:\=" under the multi(0) as far as the editing goes. Oh,
                the Boot.ini will be in C:\ root. That is the last thing you want
                to do after you see that everything is running correctly...

                [boot loader]
                timeout=3
                [operating systems]
                multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="WinXP" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
                C:\="Win98"

                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 15 3:44 AM
                  Hi Mordechai,

                  This is a report to correct a Win98/WinXP typo. I added the fix
                  right in the text below, so if anybody saves these Clip messages,
                  you can delete the oldest one from me and keeping this one which
                  also corrects some other typos.

                  bcnu,
                  jody

                  I can only please one person a day.