Re: [NTO] Unable to edit ini files

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 11, 2006
      >Yes, I checked the Document menu>>>Disk File Properties and it is not
      >marked as read-only. As far as the version of Opera I am using, it is
      >Opera 9 TP2. If you are going to download and try it, use the TP2, not
      >Opera 8.51. Go into your Opera/Profile folder and look for
      >opera6.ini. Try to edit it and see what happens. That file and some of
      >the mail files are the ones I can not edit. I can edit operadef6.ini in
      >the main Opera program folder.

      Look further down. At Document | Read Only. It's just at the bottom. For
      some reason the opera6.ini is in Unicode. Since NTP doesn't support Unicode
      it always open Unicode files in Read Only mode. This doesn't effect the
      attributes of the disk file.

      Lotta
    • LJ
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 11, 2006
        On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 17:55:40 -0600, LJ <opera-fan@...> wrote:

        > Look further down. At Document | Read Only. It's just at the bottom. For
        > some reason the opera6.ini is in Unicode. Since NTP doesn't support Unicode
        > it always open Unicode files in Read Only mode. This doesn't effect the
        > attributes of the disk file.

        No, that is not the problem. Opera has another file called operadef6.ini that is in the program folder and it is in the same format as opera6.ini. Operadef6.ini is not opened in read-only mode. That is what is strange.

        --
        LJ
        My Best Friend Is My Wife!!
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 11, 2006
          Hi
          I would open this file in notepad and see what it looks like ,notepad can
          use all fonts .
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          >>Yes, I checked the Document menu>>>Disk File Properties and it is not
          >>marked as read-only. As far as the version of Opera I am using, it is
          >>Opera 9 TP2. If you are going to download and try it, use the TP2, not
          >>Opera 8.51. Go into your Opera/Profile folder and look for
          >>opera6.ini. Try to edit it and see what happens. That file and some of
          >>the mail files are the ones I can not edit. I can edit operadef6.ini in
          >>the main Opera program folder.
          >
          > Look further down. At Document | Read Only. It's just at the bottom. For
          > some reason the opera6.ini is in Unicode. Since NTP doesn't support
          > Unicode
          > it always open Unicode files in Read Only mode. This doesn't effect the
          > attributes of the disk file.
          >
          > Lotta
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • LJ
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 12, 2006
            On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 23:38:29 -0600, dave <dmc43959@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            > I would open this file in notepad and see what it looks like ,notepad can
            > use all fonts .

            I know Notepad can open and edit the file, I just don't like to use it because it doesn't have tabs. Note Tab Pro can edit the files, I have always used it before to edit the same files that I am trying to edit now. For some reason, with Opera 9 TP2, it is opening them as read-only. We haven't figured out why yet.

            --
            LJ
            My Best Friend Is My Wife!!
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 12, 2006
              LJ wrote:
              > On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 23:38:29 -0600, dave <dmc43959@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Hi
              >> I would open this file in notepad and see what it looks like
              ,notepad can
              >> use all fonts .
              >>
              >> I know Notepad can open and edit the file, I just don't like to use
              it because it doesn't have tabs. Note Tab Pro can edit the files, I
              have always used it before to edit the same files that I am trying to
              edit now. For some reason, with Opera 9 TP2, it is opening them as
              read-only. We haven't figured out why yet.

              Jody, Dave, Loro, LJ,

              I finally figured out, I think, the file LJ is talking about is
              '\Opera\profile\opera6.ini'. I can't comment versions before 8.51, I
              installed it over 8.5 when this thread began.

              <>··········Separator··········<>
              This is the header for Opera 8.51. It confirms storage as UTF-8, when
              loaded in NoteTab it does not show as 'read-only', you can load and edit
              it, as in the second example, in NoteTab but when next loaded, and
              exited, Opera rewrites the file back to the 3rd example.

              I tried only this one edit but assume the same applies to other edits.

              Opera Preferences version 2.0
              ; Do not edit this file while Opera is running
              ; This file is stored in UTF-8 encoding

              Opera Preferences version 2.0
              ; Do not edit this file while Opera is running
              ; This file is stored in UTF-8 encoding

              Opera Preferences version 2.0
              ; Do not edit this file while Opera is running
              ; This file is stored in UTF-8 encoding
              <>··········Separator··········<>

              This is the header from v9 with the widgets, the foregoing applies to
              this file also, except you have to click-off the 'Documents > Read-Only'
              checkmark before you can edit it. It appears to be edited, it can be
              saved and reloaded with the edit intact.

              Opera Preferences version 2.1
              ; Do not edit this file while Opera is running
              ; This file is stored in UTF-8 encoding

              But, when Opera 9 is loaded it writes over the edit. I assume both
              cases are because NoteTab doesn't save as UTF-8.

              It looks as if you'll have to settle for editing this file in something
              other than NoteTab until Eric upgrades to v4.96 or finally completes v5.

              ºvº
              06.02.12
              -Newspaper HeadLine...
              "Deer Kill 17,000"
              hrs ø hsavage@...
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 12, 2006
                hsavage wrote:
                > LJ wrote:
                >> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 23:38:29 -0600, dave <dmc43959@...>
                wrote:

                >>> Hi
                >>> I would open this file in notepad and see what it looks like
                > ,notepad can
                >>> use all fonts .
                >>>
                >>> I know Notepad can open and edit the file, I just don't like to use
                > it because it doesn't have tabs.
                >
                > Jody, Dave, Loro, LJ,
                >
                > Opera Preferences version 2.0
                > ; Do not edit this file while Opera is running
                > ; This file is stored in UTF-8 encoding

                Everyone,

                Sorry for the omission, one of the examples should have been;

                Opera Preferences version 2.0
                ; Edited in NoteTab
                ; Do not edit this file while Opera is running
                ; This file is stored in UTF-8 encoding

                The edit disappears when Opera is loaded.

                ºvº
                06.02.12
                -Newspaper HeadLine...
                "Deer Kill 17,000"
                hrs ø hsavage@...
              • Gerard Huijing
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 12, 2006
                  LJ wrote:
                  > On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 17:55:40 -0600, LJ <opera-fan@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Look further down. At Document | Read Only. It's just at the bottom. For
                  >> some reason the opera6.ini is in Unicode. Since NTP doesn't support Unicode
                  >> it always open Unicode files in Read Only mode. This doesn't effect the
                  >> attributes of the disk file.
                  >
                  > No, that is not the problem. Opera has another file called operadef6.ini that is in the program folder and it is in the same format as opera6.ini. Operadef6.ini is not opened in read-only mode. That is what is strange.

                  It may be worth a try: I found the same behaviour as reported in this
                  thread on my Win98SE machine cum Opera 8.51; did a search and found an
                  old opera6.ini under \windows\application data\opera\<operabeta8xx>.
                  Deleted it, rebooted and voila, the opera.ini in the Opera folder became
                  writable in NoteTab. The place where I found it (in \Windows\Application
                  data\) may also account for much.

                  Gerard

                  --
                  Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                  Paul Krugerstraat 48A
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 12, 2006
                    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 10:34:59 -0600, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

                    > I finally figured out, I think, the file LJ is talking about is
                    > '\Opera\profile\opera6.ini'. I can't comment versions before 8.51, I
                    > installed it over 8.5 when this thread began.
                    >
                    > <>··········Separator··········<>
                    > This is the header for Opera 8.51. It confirms storage as UTF-8, when
                    > loaded in NoteTab it does not show as 'read-only', you can load and edit
                    > it, as in the second example, in NoteTab but when next loaded, and
                    > exited, Opera rewrites the file back to the 3rd example.
                    >
                    > I tried only this one edit but assume the same applies to other edits.
                    >
                    > Opera Preferences version 2.0
                    > ; Do not edit this file while Opera is running
                    > ; This file is stored in UTF-8 encoding
                    >
                    > Opera Preferences version 2.0
                    > ; Do not edit this file while Opera is running
                    > ; This file is stored in UTF-8 encoding
                    >
                    > Opera Preferences version 2.0
                    > ; Do not edit this file while Opera is running
                    > ; This file is stored in UTF-8 encoding
                    > <>··········Separator··········<>
                    >
                    > This is the header from v9 with the widgets, the foregoing applies to
                    > this file also, except you have to click-off the 'Documents > Read-Only'
                    > checkmark before you can edit it. It appears to be edited, it can be
                    > saved and reloaded with the edit intact.
                    >
                    > Opera Preferences version 2.1
                    > ; Do not edit this file while Opera is running
                    > ; This file is stored in UTF-8 encoding
                    >
                    > But, when Opera 9 is loaded it writes over the edit. I assume both
                    > cases are because NoteTab doesn't save as UTF-8.
                    >
                    > It looks as if you'll have to settle for editing this file in something
                    > other than NoteTab until Eric upgrades to v4.96 or finally completes v5.

                    That may be the case, hsavage, but once I remove the check mark from read-only, I can edit the file and Opera is not overwriting the edit after it is saved and restarted.

                    --
                    LJ
                    My Best Friend Is My Wife!!
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 12, 2006
                      Hi LJ and Others,

                      >> It looks as if you'll have to settle for editing this file in
                      >> something other than NoteTab until Eric upgrades to v4.96 or
                      >> finally completes v5.
                      >>
                      >That may be the case, hsavage, but once I remove the check mark
                      >from read-only, I can edit the file and Opera is not overwriting
                      >the edit after it is saved and restarted.

                      Well, you can edit it now for when you need to which probably
                      isn't that often. That's the main thing, that you know that it
                      can be edited. I think it has to do with the version og Opera you
                      have. I checked out Opera6.ini in Profiles\ for 7.53 and 8.51 and
                      also the OperaDef6.ini found in the main folder of both those
                      version. All of them opened normally, and all of the could be
                      edited. Just put your path in and then put it on your default
                      Clipbar if you edit the file all the time... ;)

                      <--- Copy below this line --->
                      H=Opera
                      ; ^!E:\Browsers\Opera851\Opera.exe
                      ; ^!Delay 5
                      ^!Open "E:\Browsers\Opera851\OperaDef6.ini"
                      ^!Delay 5
                      ; assumes that it always opens read-only ;)
                      ^!Menu Document/Read-Only

                      <--- Copy above this line --->
                      <--- Right click over a Library --->
                      <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                    • LJ
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 12, 2006
                        On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:24:44 -0600, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

                        > Hi LJ and Others,

                        <snip>
                        >> That may be the case, hsavage, but once I remove the check mark
                        >> from read-only, I can edit the file and Opera is not overwriting
                        >> the edit after it is saved and restarted.
                        >
                        > Well, you can edit it now for when you need to which probably
                        > isn't that often. That's the main thing, that you know that it
                        > can be edited. I think it has to do with the version og Opera you
                        > have. I checked out Opera6.ini in Profiles\ for 7.53 and 8.51 and
                        > also the OperaDef6.ini found in the main folder of both those
                        > version. All of them opened normally, and all of the could be
                        > edited. Just put your path in and then put it on your default
                        > Clipbar if you edit the file all the time... ;)
                        >
                        > <--- Copy below this line --->
                        > H=Opera
                        > ; ^!E:\Browsers\Opera851\Opera.exe
                        > ; ^!Delay 5
                        > ^!Open "E:\Browsers\Opera851\OperaDef6.ini"
                        > ^!Delay 5
                        > ; assumes that it always opens read-only ;)
                        > ^!Menu Document/Read-Only
                        >
                        > <--- Copy above this line --->
                        > <--- Right click over a Library --->
                        > <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                        One question and one comment. I would like to add "Opera" to my Libraries and have a list of Opera files that I may need to edit. I did use what you have above and now have a "Opera" clip under "Format Email" that does open my opera6.ini file. The comment? When I use the clip to open the file, it does not open read-only and I can edit it just fine. If I use the "Open document" from the toolbar, it does open read-only. Go figure. ;-)

                        --
                        LJ
                        My Best Friend Is My Wife!!
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 13, 2006
                          Hi LJ,

                          >> H=Opera
                          >> ^!Open "E:\Browsers\Opera851\OperaDef6.ini"
                          >> ^!Delay 5
                          >> ; assumes that it always opens read-only ;)
                          >> ^!Menu Document/Read-Only
                          >
                          >When I use the clip to open the file, it does not open read-only
                          >and I can edit it just fine. If I use the "Open document" from
                          >the toolbar, it does open read-only. Go figure. ;-)

                          Because the line below that is in the Clip I sent changes it from
                          read-only to not read-only. It actually opens as read-only, but
                          the Clip takes it out of that state. ;)

                          ^!Menu Document/Read-Only

                          Happy Clip'n!

                          http://www.sojourner.us/software
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 26, 2006
                            LJ,

                            I know this is old. I was sorting Notetab post and saw this. I never
                            noticed it back then. In case you are still struggling with this....

                            > > Look further down. At Document | Read Only. It's just at the bottom. For
                            > > some reason the opera6.ini is in Unicode. Since NTP doesn't support Unicode
                            > > it always open Unicode files in Read Only mode. This doesn't effect the
                            > > attributes of the disk file.
                            >
                            >No, that is not the problem.

                            Is too! I'm afraid I have to insist. It is Unicode and that's the problem. <G>

                            >Opera has another file called operadef6.ini that is in the program folder
                            >and it is in the same format as opera6.ini. Operadef6.ini is not opened
                            >in read-only mode. That is what is strange.

                            No, because operadef6.ini isn't Unicode. You can see what encoding is used
                            on the statusbar in Notetab.

                            Don't worry, Jody. I won't dig up any more old posts. :-)
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 28, 2006
                              Hi Lotta,

                              No worries about posting old messages that were never answered if
                              I understand you correctly. Keep up the good work. It is probably
                              good to Cc/Bcc the person though in case they signed off the
                              list. -jody