Problems with NTP: long loading time

  • vl331@bauerverlag.de
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2000
      Hello Notetab Freaks!
      Suddenly, some days ago, the loading time of files in NTP increased
      very much.
      The Situation: Win-NT Workstation, NTP open, Notepad replaced
      One example:
      1.) Double click on the file xyz.txt in Windows-Explorer (2.296 Bytes)
      2.) Another Notetab task open
      3.) NTP appears - the just opend NTP task is now closed
      3.) After more than 30(!) seconds I see the file in NTP
      Once again: This behavior appears _suddenly_, I can't explain it !?
      And I do not now what I've done to force NTP for that strange
      behavior.
      :-(
      I the Task list I can see that 1. the Win-Explorer and 2. NTP gets
      99%
      of CPU time !!?!?!?!?!?

      Any help out there? - Please!

      kind regards from Hamburg

      Knut Kuelsen
    • Knut K.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2000
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@egroups.com, Jody <KJB1611@a...> wrote:
        > Hi Knut,
        > > 1.) Double click on the file xyz.txt in Windows-Explorer
        > > 2.) Another Notetab task open
        > > 3.) NTP appears - the just opend NTP task is now closed
        > > 3.) After more than 30(!) seconds I see the file in NTP
        > Close NoteTab and rename NotePro.ini to something else and try it
        > again.
        I already uninstall and re-install NTP 4.82 and nothing happens -
        same behavior as mentioned above.
        I think my system is slow down completely:
        On other occasions the explorer task gets 99% of CPU usage
        for a long time.
        Any idea to revive my Windows explorer?

        TIA,
        KNUT
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2000
          Hi Knut,

          > 1.) Double click on the file xyz.txt in Windows-Explorer (2.296 Bytes)
          > 2.) Another Notetab task open
          > 3.) NTP appears - the just opend NTP task is now closed
          > 3.) After more than 30(!) seconds I see the file in NTP

          Close NoteTab and rename NotePro.ini to something else and try it
          again.

          Bye for now,
          Jody Adair
          Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

          http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
          http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
          http://www.sureword.com/notetab
        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2000
            Knut,

            At 11:57 PM 7/6/00, you wrote:
            >Suddenly, some days ago, the loading time of files in NTP increased
            >very much.
            >The Situation: Win-NT Workstation, NTP open, Notepad replaced
            >One example:
            >1.) Double click on the file xyz.txt in Windows-Explorer (2.296 Bytes)
            >2.) Another Notetab task open
            >3.) NTP appears - the just opend NTP task is now closed
            >3.) After more than 30(!) seconds I see the file in NTP
            >Once again: This behavior appears _suddenly_, I can't explain it !?
            >And I do not now what I've done to force NTP for that strange
            >behavior.

            Here are some thoughts for you to consider.

            1. You may be having a Problem with your RAM, you can have the system check
            it out at bootup with your CMOS Settings.

            2. If it just seems to appear and then go away, it could be a temperature
            problem. Make sure that your CPU and Case fans are clean and are running OK.

            3. It may just be a resource problem which occasional rebooting should fix.

            4. Is your hard drive full? This will cause your virtual memory to be
            insufficient.

            5. Watch out for any scheduled tasks which may be running in the background.

            Hope it helps.

            Regards,

            Jim
          • Knut K.
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10, 2000
              Hey Jim!

              --- In ntb-OffTopic@egroups.com, Jim Hall <jehall@h...> wrote:
              > Knut,
              > Here are some thoughts for you to consider.
              > 1. You may be having a Problem with your RAM, you can have the
              > system check it out at bootup with your CMOS Settings.
              I'll try it! Thanks!

              > 2. If it just seems to appear and then go away, it could be a
              > temperature problem. Make sure that your CPU and Case fans are
              > clean and are running OK.
              My problem is _not_ temporarily :-(

              > 3. It may just be a resource problem which occasional rebooting
              > should fix.
              See above, even rebooting do not help :-(

              > 4. Is your hard drive full? This will cause your virtual
              > memory to be insufficient.
              There's enough space on my hard drive

              > 5. Watch out for any scheduled tasks which may be running in the
              > background.
              No task are running in background

              > Hope it helps.
              Thanks for your post!
              I'll keep watching this thread and my problem!

              > Regards,
              > Jim

              Kind regards,
              KNUT
            • Jim Hall
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 10, 2000
                Hi Knut,

                Could you give us a rundown on your system which would be something like
                what is listed below plus anything else that might be unique to your system
                like applications running in the system tray and how many and what kind of
                peripherals you have on your system.

                The more we have to work with the better our chances of figuring this out.

                Regards,
                Jim Hall
                Intel Pentium III-500
                384 MB RAM
                1GB Virtual Memory
                Dual Mirrored 30GB Drives
                32MB Diamond Viper V770 Ultra
                1920 X 1440 x 32 bit
                21" ViewSonic
                IntelliMouse Explorer
                Windows98 First Edition + Upgrades
                Internet Explorer 5.1
                Note Tab Pro 4.82
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 10, 2000
                  Hi Knut,

                  > 3.) After more than 30(!) seconds I see the file in NTP
                  > On other occasions the explorer task gets 99% of CPU usage for
                  > a long time.

                  That certainly changes the subject from NoteTab. ;) You did not
                  mention that originally, or I missed it. Anyway, along with what
                  Jim mentioned, you might do a Scandisk and Defrag. You might
                  find out though since it was such a sudden appearance that you
                  got a file corrupted somehow whether by a crash or a new
                  installation of a program or whatever. As I mentioned when you
                  first wrote, I had a similar problem with Eudora opening the
                  first message on startup extremely slow and the reply, but once I
                  did that it ran fine. It started when I clicked on ICQ and it
                  crashed both it and Eudora. A new install of ICQ and Eudora did
                  not fix it. Reinstalling Windows over the old did not help, but
                  when I reinstalled Windows all was well.

                  I use to troubleshoot all my problems for days which I enjoyed!
                  Won a few and lost a few, but I don't have the time for it
                  anymore. I found that most the problems could have been cleared
                  up with a new install of Windows which would have taken sometimes
                  a 1/4th of the time I spent troubleshooting. I sure did learn
                  some things on the way thought. <g> I still go though all my
                  basic checks for obvious things, but after that if it is pointing
                  towards software it is "nuke Windows" time.

                  mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...