IE7

  • dave
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 4, 2006
      Hi All
      downloaded IE7 it seems to much faster they have improved the download of
      pages and to me it looks fine I am not a web designer as such I like the tab
      part ,getting a blank page to load as the start page was tricky , all the
      media that I have tried so far has worked fine,
      the other thing is if you want to use the tab function in ie7 anybody know
      how ??

      THANKYOU DAVE M
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 4, 2006
        > the other thing is if you want to use the tab function in ie7 anybody know
        > how ??
        >
        > THANKYOU DAVE M

        Since they are copying Firefox in essence I would try control+t as that
        does the trick in Firefox. Also if you hold down shift and click you get
        new browser window or control and click, new tab. In Firefox there are
        tab browser options (as an added extension) that lets you configure all
        sorts of thing. I suspect if you find options you may have similiar
        control in IE 7. For example I have mine set to load new tabs in the
        background and then I go to them after they have loaded while I continue
        to read the current page. Also, when I reopen my browser it opens the
        same windows that I left open when I shut down. As I am using a laptop
        that I start and stop, I find that very handy and very "notetab like".
      • LaurieK
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 4, 2006
          From: "Don - htmlfixit.com"

          > Since they are copying Firefox in essence I would try control+t as that
          > does the trick in Firefox.

          Don, I've been off work this past week so am not hearing any of the "Techie
          Talk" about IE7. I have some questions. I am a major multiple windows open
          at the same time kinda person and for what I do, at work, they told me to
          load Firefox and use it, but the programming on the web interface (done by
          Korea) is not compatible with any browser but IE, so I loaded it, tried it
          and confirmed I could not see my frames and removed it.

          Years ago, when Opera came on the scene, I loaded it and LOVED IT, I love
          the tab functionality, I'm all about the Tab or the Tree/collapsing menus.
          Here are my questions:

          1. So is IE like that? One window, different tabs?
          2. Is it stable, have there been any issues or major bugs reported yet?
          3. If you install IE7, and don't like it, can you roll back to IE6? (If ya
          can do that, I'll go ahead and try it) but I CANNOT lose my functionality
          with my work interface.
          4. Does it still handle bookmarks the way it always has, or has it switched
          to the Netscape way (which I totally and utterly HATE) I have over 2000
          bookmarks, I have folders A, then subcategories, Arts, Autos, etc... then B,
          Books, Blarney... whatever I want my folders! (I know you are not Unca Bill,
          but I hafta stomp my dainty lil foot somewhere) hehe :)

          I guess that's about all I can think of at the moment.

          Looking forward to hearing more...

          Laurie
        • dave
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 5, 2006
            Hi LaurieK
            I think your pushing things a little IE7 is still in beta
            "IE7B2P-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe" .every new page is a new tab which you can
            setup I do not have as many favorites they are the same , if you get in
            touch private I can send you the help for it sofar.
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            >> Since they are copying Firefox in essence I would try control+t as that
            >> does the trick in Firefox.
            >
            > Don, I've been off work this past week so am not hearing any of the
            > "Techie
            > Talk" about IE7. I have some questions. I am a major multiple windows
            > open
            > at the same time kinda person and for what I do, at work, they told me to
            > load Firefox and use it, but the programming on the web interface (done by
            > Korea) is not compatible with any browser but IE, so I loaded it, tried it
            > and confirmed I could not see my frames and removed it.
            >
            > Years ago, when Opera came on the scene, I loaded it and LOVED IT, I love
            > the tab functionality, I'm all about the Tab or the Tree/collapsing menus.
            > Here are my questions:
            >
            > 1. So is IE like that? One window, different tabs?
            > 2. Is it stable, have there been any issues or major bugs reported yet?
            > 3. If you install IE7, and don't like it, can you roll back to IE6? (If
            > ya
            > can do that, I'll go ahead and try it) but I CANNOT lose my functionality
            > with my work interface.
            > 4. Does it still handle bookmarks the way it always has, or has it
            > switched
            > to the Netscape way (which I totally and utterly HATE) I have over 2000
            > bookmarks, I have folders A, then subcategories, Arts, Autos, etc... then
            > B,
            > Books, Blarney... whatever I want my folders! (I know you are not Unca
            > Bill,
            > but I hafta stomp my dainty lil foot somewhere) hehe :)
            >
            > I guess that's about all I can think of at the moment.
            >
            > Looking forward to hearing more...
            >
            > Laurie
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • dave
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5, 2006
              Hi
              me again check out this and take the tour
              http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/ie7/tour/default.mspx

              THANKYOU DAVE M
              >> Since they are copying Firefox in essence I would try control+t as that
              >> does the trick in Firefox.
              >
              > Don, I've been off work this past week so am not hearing any of the
              > "Techie
              > Talk" about IE7. I have some questions. I am a major multiple windows
              > open
              > at the same time kinda person and for what I do, at work, they told me to
              > load Firefox and use it, but the programming on the web interface (done by
              > Korea) is not compatible with any browser but IE, so I loaded it, tried it
              > and confirmed I could not see my frames and removed it.
              >
              > Years ago, when Opera came on the scene, I loaded it and LOVED IT, I love
              > the tab functionality, I'm all about the Tab or the Tree/collapsing menus.
              > Here are my questions:
              >
              > 1. So is IE like that? One window, different tabs?
              > 2. Is it stable, have there been any issues or major bugs reported yet?
              > 3. If you install IE7, and don't like it, can you roll back to IE6? (If
              > ya
              > can do that, I'll go ahead and try it) but I CANNOT lose my functionality
              > with my work interface.
              > 4. Does it still handle bookmarks the way it always has, or has it
              > switched
              > to the Netscape way (which I totally and utterly HATE) I have over 2000
              > bookmarks, I have folders A, then subcategories, Arts, Autos, etc... then
              > B,
              > Books, Blarney... whatever I want my folders! (I know you are not Unca
              > Bill,
              > but I hafta stomp my dainty lil foot somewhere) hehe :)
              >
              > I guess that's about all I can think of at the moment.
              >
              > Looking forward to hearing more...
              >
              > Laurie
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • LaurieK
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 6, 2006
                Thanks Dave... I'll check it out... and was not aware it was still beta...
                will back off then.... woah Nellie heheh :)
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 6, 2006
                  Hi Laurie,

                  I didn't see this come by. I agree, IE7 is still in beta. I am running
                  a copy (only works on XP), but it has been stable and no problems thus
                  far. I don't like the default setup ... I had to hunt all over just to
                  find help in fact.

                  It is tabbed. If you love Opera, why are you not using it? It is now
                  free. I have had no significant trouble with Firefox on any page except
                  MicroSoft's page. I however don't do Korean. Are you sure you gave
                  Firefox 1.5 a fair spin?

                  http://www.mozilla.or.kr/zine/?p=671
                  Firefox evangelism with korean top portal sites.
                  The Naver.com, a big korean portal site start to support web site
                  compatiblity in Firefox. It holds the Naver Bug Day with Mozilla Korean
                  Community during February 2006...

                  You WILL lose IE6. I know some have had difficulty rolling back to it
                  after installing IE7. There are some hacks available.

                  I don't really know about your bookmark issues, but you can make folders
                  any way you like in Firefox. I have not set one in IE7 yet (and that is
                  another machine so I cannot try just now). There are some great
                  programs that manage bookmarks in tree view format. You might try one
                  of those out.

                  Note that in the 87 bookmark extensions to choose from you have
                  extensions to allow you to make Firefox behave exactly like Opera:
                  https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/showlist.php?application=firefox&category=Bookmarks

                  I happen to love Firefox (if that was not apparent). There are a couple
                  of extensions that give you the view of the page in IE, or better yet
                  use IE's engine within firefox as I understand it. I might get one of
                  those and any time something display wrong, IE is just one click away!
                  https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1419&application=firefox
                  https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1430&application=firefox

                  Also you can of course just use your ie favorites folder right there in
                  Firefox:
                  https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=668&application=firefox

                  >>>Since they are copying Firefox in essence I would try control+t as that
                  >>>does the trick in Firefox.
                  >>
                  >>Don, I've been off work this past week so am not hearing any of the
                  >>"Techie
                  >>Talk" about IE7. I have some questions. I am a major multiple windows
                  >>open
                  >>at the same time kinda person and for what I do, at work, they told me to
                  >>load Firefox and use it, but the programming on the web interface (done by
                  >>Korea) is not compatible with any browser but IE, so I loaded it, tried it
                  >>and confirmed I could not see my frames and removed it.
                  >>
                  >>Years ago, when Opera came on the scene, I loaded it and LOVED IT, I love
                  >>the tab functionality, I'm all about the Tab or the Tree/collapsing menus.
                  >>Here are my questions:
                  >>
                  >>1. So is IE like that? One window, different tabs?
                  >>2. Is it stable, have there been any issues or major bugs reported yet?
                  >>3. If you install IE7, and don't like it, can you roll back to IE6? (If
                  >>ya
                  >>can do that, I'll go ahead and try it) but I CANNOT lose my functionality
                  >>with my work interface.
                  >>4. Does it still handle bookmarks the way it always has, or has it
                  >>switched
                  >>to the Netscape way (which I totally and utterly HATE) I have over 2000
                  >>bookmarks, I have folders A, then subcategories, Arts, Autos, etc... then
                  >>B,
                  >>Books, Blarney... whatever I want my folders! (I know you are not Unca
                  >>Bill,
                  >>but I hafta stomp my dainty lil foot somewhere) hehe :)
                  >>
                  >>I guess that's about all I can think of at the moment.
                  >>
                  >>Looking forward to hearing more...
                  >>
                  >>Laurie
                • oto
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 6, 2006
                    On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 20:25:58 -0600, LaurieK wrote:

                    > Years ago, when Opera came on the scene, I loaded it and LOVED IT,
                    > I love the tab functionality, I'm all about the Tab or the
                    > Tree/collapsing menus. Here are my questions:
                    >
                    > 1. So is IE like that? One window, different tabs?

                    Hi LaurieK,

                    As a registered user I too liked very much and used everyday "Opera" from V.5 to
                    8.51.
                    A few days ago I downloaded "Maxthon".
                    To day it is my default browser...

                    http://www.maxthon.com/

                    Happy (and very fast) browsing !

                    GL
                  • Barry
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 7, 2006
                      Maxthon is not a browser in its own right, it rides on the back of Internet
                      Explorer. But i've heard a lot of good comments about it.