Re: [NTO] Re: The End of the Internet?

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2006
      I wrote:
      >Stefan Elssner wrote:
      > >The Web will still be there as it was. Since it (or even more: the
      > >Internet as it's parent) was _designed_ from birth to do exactly that:
      > >staying alive regardless of circumstances.
      >
      >Uhu... I just saw a rerun of Terminator III.

      I just realized that my comment may seem odd if you haven't seen the movie
      or don't have it fresh in memory. In the movie the world is taken over by a
      computer network that is designed to stay alive regardless of
      circumstances. ;-)

      Lotta
    • Kathy Jungjohann
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 6, 2006
        related story:

        http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/05/business/email.php

        AOL and Yahoo take lead in putting price on e-mail

        <http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/05/business//cgi-bin/search.cgi?query=By
        Saul Hansell&sort=swishrank>By Saul Hansell The New York Times

        Cheers,
        Kathy
      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 6, 2006
          Oh joy! Now spammers can pay to bypass filters. In time other
          providers will likely follow suit. Just follow the money . . .

          BTW, the second link didn't work even when I joined it.

          --- Kathy Jungjohann <kjj@...> wrote:

          > related story:
          >
          > http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/05/business/email.php
          >
          > AOL and Yahoo take lead in putting price on e-mail

          <http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/05/business//cgi-bin/search.cgi?query=By

          > Saul Hansell&sort=swishrank>By Saul Hansell The New York Times
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Kathy

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 8, 2006
            This is the best analysis to date, IMO:

            http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004398.php#004398

            AOL, Yahoo and Goodmail: Taxing Your Email for Fun and Profit

            February 08, 2006

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Alan
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
              http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=396

              That's news info and opinion about Telco's wanting to charge $ , for example,
              to charge Google for use of their lines (toll bridge similarity -- use the
              bridge, pay a toll -- but such toll is *only* for *big-heavy* users) but it's
              Telco's lines instead of a bridge on a highway.

              Unless I've taken it wrong, it appears that some of these very Telcos are
              scrambling to get up a new something like graphic fiber line so as to offer
              even more broadband internet services. And also some complain (perhaps to
              congress, even) that "Google gets by on cheap servers" while our (new fiber)
              line costs us a gazillion dollars to finance/build.

              Perhaps it is needed, what is it -- something like "net neutral" in congress
              (a regulation that marshalls that the net is to be free of regulation)

              Is that right? Do I have that right about the meaning of net neutral? (if
              so, that's kinda, er uh, ____.

              Alan.