RE: [NTO] Re: The End of the Internet?

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2006
      > Interesting idea,
      > But I'm not afraid.
      > The internet is a concept, first, then a medium, and both are
      > established now beyond any thinkable undo, as far as I can see.

      I'm not afraid either. What was described sounded exactly like AOL to me.
      The only difference is that AOL started as a "family friendly" rival to the
      internet, but eventually, through customer pressure, had to provide a back
      door out into the wild, untamed, world of the Internet.

      Interestingly, rival Microsoft was the one that caved in, giving up on its
      own AOL-like independent MSN service and turning it into just another web
      site.

      Greg
    • Stefan Elssner
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2006
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:
        > > it soon if they make the plans reality. Probably some of their
        > > brighter people will point this out _before_ the plans get reality.
        >
        > Stefan,
        >
        > You are laboring under a misconception concerning communication
        > companies having bright people in decision making positions. They do
        > have bright people, in my experience, mostly in the peon class, the
        > people that actually do the work.

        Wrong wording from my side. What I meant was rather
        "_Hopefully_ some of their brighter people will point this out ..."

        > Having retired in 99 after 34 years with GTE/Verizon it's my opinion
        > that if they think they can make a dollar or 2 they'll try, no matter
        > what it costs.
        >
        > The communications companies could eventually wreak havoc on a fairly
        > good operating web.
        >
        > I just mean, don't discount the harm they may do.

        I don't.

        But they simply will not do that. Since, if they do, the Web will
        sidestep. And they will lost it. And so they will loose the whole base
        of their idea to make a dollar or 2 more.

        The Web is only good as the special advertising or marketing platform
        that it has become as long as it is still the Web -- (generally) free,
        uncontrolled, wild, global and flexible.

        Canalizing it in any way would make it into just another TV station.
        Global, yes. But who needs another TV station?

        So, after some time, it will be clear that this was not such a good
        idea. Some of the inclined companies will crash, others will simply
        pay less for some time.

        The Web will still be there as it was. Since it (or even more: the
        Internet as it's parent) was _designed_ from birth to do exactly that:
        staying alive regardless of circumstances.

        Stefan
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2006
          Stefan Elssner wrote:
          >The Web will still be there as it was. Since it (or even more: the
          >Internet as it's parent) was _designed_ from birth to do exactly that:
          >staying alive regardless of circumstances.

          Uhu... I just saw a rerun of Terminator III.

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2006
            I wrote:
            >Stefan Elssner wrote:
            > >The Web will still be there as it was. Since it (or even more: the
            > >Internet as it's parent) was _designed_ from birth to do exactly that:
            > >staying alive regardless of circumstances.
            >
            >Uhu... I just saw a rerun of Terminator III.

            I just realized that my comment may seem odd if you haven't seen the movie
            or don't have it fresh in memory. In the movie the world is taken over by a
            computer network that is designed to stay alive regardless of
            circumstances. ;-)

            Lotta
          • Kathy Jungjohann
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 6, 2006
              related story:

              http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/05/business/email.php

              AOL and Yahoo take lead in putting price on e-mail

              <http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/05/business//cgi-bin/search.cgi?query=By
              Saul Hansell&sort=swishrank>By Saul Hansell The New York Times

              Cheers,
              Kathy
            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 6, 2006
                Oh joy! Now spammers can pay to bypass filters. In time other
                providers will likely follow suit. Just follow the money . . .

                BTW, the second link didn't work even when I joined it.

                --- Kathy Jungjohann <kjj@...> wrote:

                > related story:
                >
                > http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/05/business/email.php
                >
                > AOL and Yahoo take lead in putting price on e-mail

                <http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/05/business//cgi-bin/search.cgi?query=By

                > Saul Hansell&sort=swishrank>By Saul Hansell The New York Times
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Kathy

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • sisterscape
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 8, 2006
                  This is the best analysis to date, IMO:

                  http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004398.php#004398

                  AOL, Yahoo and Goodmail: Taxing Your Email for Fun and Profit

                  February 08, 2006

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Alan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
                    http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=396

                    That's news info and opinion about Telco's wanting to charge $ , for example,
                    to charge Google for use of their lines (toll bridge similarity -- use the
                    bridge, pay a toll -- but such toll is *only* for *big-heavy* users) but it's
                    Telco's lines instead of a bridge on a highway.

                    Unless I've taken it wrong, it appears that some of these very Telcos are
                    scrambling to get up a new something like graphic fiber line so as to offer
                    even more broadband internet services. And also some complain (perhaps to
                    congress, even) that "Google gets by on cheap servers" while our (new fiber)
                    line costs us a gazillion dollars to finance/build.

                    Perhaps it is needed, what is it -- something like "net neutral" in congress
                    (a regulation that marshalls that the net is to be free of regulation)

                    Is that right? Do I have that right about the meaning of net neutral? (if
                    so, that's kinda, er uh, ____.

                    Alan.