Re: [NTO] IE7 Beta2 public release

  • dave
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2 10:01 PM
      hi
      has anyone read this site good read
      http://msdn.microsoft.com/ie/releasenotes/default.aspx
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "loro" <loro-spam01-@...>
      To: <ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 3:39 PM
      Subject: Re: [NTO] IE7 Beta2 public release

      > Don wrote:
      >>I am wondering from what my client said if in fact they fixed the broken
      >>box model so that the same code will work on it as already works on
      >>Firefox. What are you figuring out?
      >
      > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go ahead and use
      > it.
      >
      > Lotta
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2 11:08 PM
        Here's another thought. Browser have different default margins and
        padding for elements. It's a good idea to set everythign to 0 in
        your stylesheet like this:

        * {

        }
        > --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...> wrote:
        >
        > > loro wrote:

        > > broken

        > > > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go
        ahead
        > > and use it.
        > > >
        > > > Lotta
        > > >
        > > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or
        more
        > > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I
        create
        > > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions in
        IE
        > > vs
        > > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box
        model

        > > because I continue to think it is becuase the padding/margin/div
        size

        > > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am
        wrong,
        > > but
        > > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work
        right.
        > > All
        > > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
        > >
        > > Don

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2 11:08 PM
          Here's another thought. Browser have different default margins and
          padding for elements. It's a good idea to set everythign to 0 in
          your stylesheet like this:

          * {

          }
          > --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...> wrote:
          >
          > > loro wrote:

          > > broken

          > > > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go
          ahead
          > > and use it.
          > > >
          > > > Lotta
          > > >
          > > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or
          more
          > > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I
          create
          > > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions in
          IE
          > > vs
          > > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box
          model

          > > because I continue to think it is becuase the padding/margin/div
          size

          > > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am
          wrong,
          > > but
          > > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work
          right.
          > > All
          > > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
          > >
          > > Don

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2 11:12 PM
            Ignore the last post. It was sent accidently. Here it is again and
            complete this time . . . hopefully.

            Here's another thought. Browsers have different default margins and
            padding for elements. It's a good idea to set everything to 0 in
            your stylesheet like this:

            * {
            padding: 0 ;
            margin: 0 ;
            }

            I always put that right after the body styles.

            sisterscape

            > > --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@> wrote:
            > > > >
            > > > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or
            > more
            > > > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I
            > create
            > > > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions
            in
            > IE
            > > > vs
            > > > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box
            > model
            > > >
            > > > because I continue to think it is becuase the
            padding/margin/div
            > size
            > > >
            > > > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am
            > wrong,
            > > > but
            > > > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work
            > right.
            > > > All
            > > > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
            > > >
            > > > Don

          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2 11:25 PM
              I've decided that I'm going to wait a bit before starting to rewrite
              code because there are so many bugs in it right now. When things get
              more sorted out some months down the line, I'll probably try to do a
              side-by-side version to begin testing. I suspect the final release
              won't be till the end of the year at the earliest. Since IE7
              currently breaks Juno, I can't overwrite IE6 in any case.

              On the MSDN blog it seems there are still some problems with
              margins/padding under certain circumstances. Hopefully that will get
              fixed. I usually avoid the box model problem by adding a separate
              div for padding rather than including it with the parent element.
              Those extra divs have saved BIG headaches.

              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...>