Re: [NTO] IE7 Beta2 public release

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
      Could this be your problem?

      "IE has a double margin bug on the side of a float nearest either the
      windows (or containers) edge. This means that the first float next to
      the left side or right of a window will get its right or left margin
      doubled. Subsequent floats are not affected.

      The solution is to add display:inline to the float which for some
      strange reason fixes ie. It is however ignored by all other browsers
      because you can't actually make a float display:inline as it's hard
      coded as display:block all the time by default. This means its safe to
      use and will have no ill effects."

      Or this?

      "IE always adds about 3 pixels of padding around floats when aligned
      next to static content (floats next to floats are ok and don't have
      this problem which is why people will put floats together to avoid the
      problem.)"

      Read more at:
      http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1374925&postcount=15

      --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...> wrote:

      > loro wrote:
      > > Don wrote:
      > >
      > >>I am wondering from what my client said if in fact they fixed the
      > broken
      > >>box model so that the same code will work on it as already works on
      >
      > >>Firefox. What are you figuring out?
      > >

      > > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go ahead
      > and use it.
      > >
      > > Lotta
      > >
      > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or more
      > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I create
      > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions in IE
      > vs
      > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box model
      >
      > because I continue to think it is becuase the padding/margin/div size
      >
      > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am wrong,
      > but
      > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work right.
      > All
      > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
      >
      > Don

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • dave
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
        hi
        has anyone read this site good read
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/ie/releasenotes/default.aspx
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        >>I am wondering from what my client said if in fact they fixed the broken
        >>box model so that the same code will work on it as already works on
        >>Firefox. What are you figuring out?
        >
        > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go ahead and use
        > it.
        >
        > Lotta
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
          Here's another thought. Browser have different default margins and
          padding for elements. It's a good idea to set everythign to 0 in
          your stylesheet like this:

          * {

          }
          > --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...> wrote:
          >
          > > loro wrote:

          > > broken

          > > > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go
          ahead
          > > and use it.
          > > >
          > > > Lotta
          > > >
          > > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or
          more
          > > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I
          create
          > > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions in
          IE
          > > vs
          > > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box
          model

          > > because I continue to think it is becuase the padding/margin/div
          size

          > > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am
          wrong,
          > > but
          > > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work
          right.
          > > All
          > > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
          > >
          > > Don

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
            Here's another thought. Browser have different default margins and
            padding for elements. It's a good idea to set everythign to 0 in
            your stylesheet like this:

            * {

            }
            > --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...> wrote:
            >
            > > loro wrote:

            > > broken

            > > > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go
            ahead
            > > and use it.
            > > >
            > > > Lotta
            > > >
            > > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or
            more
            > > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I
            create
            > > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions in
            IE
            > > vs
            > > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box
            model

            > > because I continue to think it is becuase the padding/margin/div
            size

            > > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am
            wrong,
            > > but
            > > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work
            right.
            > > All
            > > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
            > >
            > > Don

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
              Ignore the last post. It was sent accidently. Here it is again and
              complete this time . . . hopefully.

              Here's another thought. Browsers have different default margins and
              padding for elements. It's a good idea to set everything to 0 in
              your stylesheet like this:

              * {
              padding: 0 ;
              margin: 0 ;
              }

              I always put that right after the body styles.

              sisterscape

              > > --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@> wrote:
              > > > >
              > > > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or
              > more
              > > > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I
              > create
              > > > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions
              in
              > IE
              > > > vs
              > > > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box
              > model
              > > >
              > > > because I continue to think it is becuase the
              padding/margin/div
              > size
              > > >
              > > > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am
              > wrong,
              > > > but
              > > > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work
              > right.
              > > > All
              > > > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
              > > >
              > > > Don

            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                I've decided that I'm going to wait a bit before starting to rewrite
                code because there are so many bugs in it right now. When things get
                more sorted out some months down the line, I'll probably try to do a
                side-by-side version to begin testing. I suspect the final release
                won't be till the end of the year at the earliest. Since IE7
                currently breaks Juno, I can't overwrite IE6 in any case.

                On the MSDN blog it seems there are still some problems with
                margins/padding under certain circumstances. Hopefully that will get
                fixed. I usually avoid the box model problem by adding a separate
                div for padding rather than including it with the parent element.
                Those extra divs have saved BIG headaches.

                --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...>